1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Beginning of the end for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ems2158, Feb 26, 2019.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 Prius had it, worldwide.

From what i've seen in the videos of road tests, rear legroom of the Corolla HB is very limited. Both 3gen and 4gen Prii are definitely roomier. Sedan and TS versions are to be longer, ok.

Well, I insist it is a step forward of the equipment and features of the Prius over the Corolla...
    And we have to go back to 2016 Prius to find the first updated 2ZR-FXE engine (and other TNGA caracteristics) we can now find in the Corolla E210. So 3 years late on the game...
    Again..still no PHV version of the Corolla...

Prius is a high-tech product, to precede all other technologies within Toyota line-up, and fits a slot between C segment and D segment. It's something quite obvious since 2004.

2. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius 2009 did have that (talking about the 2009-2012), but the 2009 prius was WAY ahead of its time in 2009... HUD, autopark, reverse camera, heated seats, heated mirrors, navigation, the solar roof u said, LED headlights.. It was just way ahead of its time, i dont feel like the GEN 4 is that at all... It has no extra features any other cars in its price range got either.. Atleast here, the prius doesnt sell good at all anymore compared to auris, and i bet the new corolla will beat its sales even more. The face lift should have had features like 360 camera (they couldve used the one from last gen RAV4 for example). Just something that makes it stand out a bit, now i dont feel like it stands out at all.

I have seen a few videos to, but i think the seats r bigger in the corolla than in the prius, which makes it look tighter, going by specification only, it should be bigger. Guess gonna have to wait and see til it comes to a the dealership here in 1 month. And the specifications i said up there was the 1640mm hatch model, not the 1700mm, i cant find shit specifications of the wagon anywhere... Only the hatch and sedan.

And well, there is a PHV corolla in China, so it does exist, it just isnt sold in other markets, which i find incredibly stupid... Toyota is so late to the EV/PHV market its ridiculous, it seems like they think their hybrids will outsell whatever EV`s it is that comes out the next 4 years... The new Polestar 2 for exmaple (competitor to the model 3), the corolla will have NO chance in hell against that... (atleast here, have no idea what pricings u got there or what americans got, but here the mid-high specced corolla and model 3 base is in the same price range...). So yea... VW group will have over 60 EV models within 2026, and im wondering what toyota is gonna do about that...

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When I got my 2005 Prius, features like the smart keys system meant going to Lexus to get on another car. Now such systems are options on nearly every car available.

So I agree the Prius has lost its tech crown. With other hybrid models, including Toyotas, being rated as efficiently as it, it even has lost that crown. The PHEV might make some claim, if not for the other PHEVs that preceded it.

Since the wheelbase is the same, and the same parts will be used for cost reasons, it is safe to use the sedan measurements for passengers until official wagon ones are found. Head space is the only that is likely to have much difference, and I'd say the rear wagon will have more.

The top trim Corolla, with all factory and dealer options, is over $32k in the US.

MagnusAG99 likes this.