1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

behind seat storage ideas needed

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Apr 29, 2017.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hello, all.

Pretty much since the day I bought my 2012 Prius (pre-owned), I've kept the rear seats folded down so the dog can have as much room as possible. As a result I effectively have no "trunk" space or other storage space, so I put stuff on the floor behind the driver's and passenger's seats. I keep forgetting about the hybrid battery vent at the front of the rear seat that we're supposed to keep free from blockage and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some kind of simple storage box that I could keep on the floor behind the front passenger seat so I can keep the driver's side rear floor free of anything.

Stuff I like to keep in the car include a small air compressor, breaker bar, ice scraper, a rag, sometimes a jug of windshield washer fluid. I've also considered jumper cables and a tow rope, but again, there's not much space to work with.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I wonder if a simple backpack or similar sized bag would work for that...

...of course the problem with that is that it would be a target for thieves. Are you looking for something like an open-topped bin? You might be able to find a plastic bin of the right size at some place like Walmart.

3. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, Sean. Yeah, I was thinking something like that might work. Tall and narrow like a small wastebasket might be simple enough. The good news is that I just went and cleaned everything out to take a close look at that vent. There were just a couple of pieces of fuzz and a little bit of dog hair around the grill, so I popped off the panel for a better look and thankfully it was very clean. I vacuumed it anyway along with the rest of the floor, got my ice scrapers out of there to make more room and I'm able to fit everything behind the passenger seat. A little container might still be a good idea, but I feel better knowing it wasn't a mess at the vent.

I must say though, that those little pop-off plastic pins are a pain in the butt; not so much to get off, but to get back on. I ruined those two I had to remove but happened to have some extra similar ones from my old Subaru that fit well enough. :)

4. davids45

davids45 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    G'day,
    Coming from a 2003 Echo up to a 2016 Prius C, we found the lack of knick-knack storage space a disappointment in the 'c'.
    Our c's lambswool front-seat covers have rear pockets but these would not store the sort of stuff you want.
    Ebay may have something you could adapt if a local storage shop doesn't? MDF or FRP something to fit, if you're handy with either material?
    In the boot (trunk), I use the space between the spare tyre and its rear cover to hold things like jumper leads and rags - things like the spare itself I don't need to use often, or hope never to use. Maybe something could be kept there.
    Happy hunting.
    David S.