1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bench testing a used Generation 1 Traction battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FireFighterHill, Jun 4, 2016.

1. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did a forum search but couldn't find anything applicable. Is there some steps I cant take to bench test a used traction battery outside the car before buying it? I know its not a fool proof way of knowing that its good, but some tips on what to look for and stay away from would be appreciated.

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If seller is willing to allow you to remove the cover you can tell how bad the bus bars are and if there is any swelling of the cells or evidence of leaks.

Really only way is to install and diagnose from the TIS read out

A short warranty would be a good idea unless it is an incredibly good price

FireFighterHill likes this.
  3. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    He's asking 200 bucks. I figure for that price I cant go wrong unless it has some blatantly obvious damage.

4. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Wow, that is a good price

If anything you could scavenge the good cells

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps the first step is to number your existing traction battery modules, 1-38, starting from the battery controller electronics. Measure their voltages and list them here.

Bob Wilson

6. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thats what I figured. Im trying not to spend more money on getting this car running and driving than I can recuperate by parting it out.Bob, I will do that in the next few days.

7. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You could keep 1/2 dozen cells as back up, sell the rest at $20-35 each and make a profit on the remaining good cells to help off set the cost

After 6-8 fill ups you will be happy you did the work :)

8. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What do you guys think? Worth 200? Can you tell me anything based on the stickers? It has "CORE" written on it in marker, so its probably gonna need rebuilt/reconditioned.

Attached Files:

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pictures do not measure voltages. Personally, I'd snatch it since the case and electronics can be sold to Dorman.

When you get around to measuring, use a table format to show the voltages:
    module# volts
    1 1 7.35
    2 2 7.47
    3 ... ...
    4 37 7.38
    5 38 7.42

Here I've pasted the table with an "*" for the "[" for each tag:
    *table=head]
    module#|volts
    1|7.35
    2|7.47
    ...|...
    37|7.38
    38|7.42
    */table]

There is a 1.2V value for each of the 6 cells in each module. Any module off by 1.2V probably has a failed cell and probably can not be salvaged.

Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    FireFighterHill and DRACO like this.
  10. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Agreed, hard to tell by the exterior, but I bet you can rebuild your existing HV battery from part from this one if come cells are still good.

We will do our best to coach you thru it, if you wish.

I post allot of pics of my rebuild to give you an idea what to expect.

Go for it Brother!

11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That'll do the trick but you will still need to remove the bus bars to test each individual cell to identify good from bad.

OP, you could build one too I suppose.

13. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Jeff, I already ordered a H4 Pigtail to make my own closed circuit tester. I know you don't like "Kiwi" but I got the idea from watching his Youtube videos. I also ordered a 3 position switch so I can activate high or low beam on the H4 Bulb. I already have a ton of alligator clips and leads I can use to hook to my Fluke multimeter. Still on my list of things to order when funds are available is Mini VCI, and a good digital programmable RC car type battery charger to charge individual modules.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  15. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The guy selling me the gen one pack has a ton of Prius parts. mostly gen 2 and 3 stuff. He's a mechanic and doesn't need the gen one pack anymore. He assured me every module is at least 7.4 and said I could remove the cover and test them if I want before buying it. I'm hoping he may make me a deal on gen 2 or 3 modules in the future to rebuild my extra traction battery. I

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Has anyone ever seen an entirely shorted out traction battery. The known bad cell from the car, every single module except one has either 0.0 or 0.1 volts. One single module, has 5.4 volts. Also when I tested the 12v battery when I took it out of the car, it read 0.1 volts as well. This leads me to believe that something has shorted out and drained both traction and 12 volt battery.

I picked up the used traction battery from a wrecked car today. 29 modules are 7.4-7.8 volts. two are 6.4 volts and 5 are 0.1-1.6 volts.

17. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Holy-Smokes, that is pretty bad. I would try to test charge a cell and see if it holds a charge and pass a load test using the rig previously posted.

But honestly, I would order 8 good cells and swap out the lowest one in the replacement HV battery, clean the rear bus bar and replace the front bus bar. Install on the car and do several charge and discharge procedures and monitor.

18. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I cant afford the 250 dollars for 7 good cells with out at least knowing the car doesn't have other things wrong. I'm going to use my Reaktor charger to try to charge up the low modules, stick it in the car with a good 12 volt battery and see what the car does. If it runs and nothing else major is wrong with it, ill spend the money for 7 good cells. So far I've invested about 700 dollars and still haven't found out if the car will even run. Im trying to keep a lid on my spending to guarantee if the car is a dud I can at least recoup what I've spent.

Just a little update. So I took apart the dead traction battery, i've got all the bus bar copper links soaking in vinegar. I already did the nuts, they came out pretty clean, just tarnished. Anyone know an easy way to remove the sealant from the bus bar assembly?

I reassembled the modules in the dead traction battery in Parallel and put them back under compression. I'm going to try a little experiment and see If I can revive any of them. Question, id like to charge several modules at once. How many can I safely charge at once hooked up in parallel?

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tell us about your charger, front panel photo?

Parallel charging means the dead-short module will make any that try to recover look like them ... stone cold dead.

Charge each one at 12V for 1 minute and go to the next. Then measure the modules in the charging order. Put the low voltage modules in the 'later' pile.

The others wire pairs in series and try 12V for 5 minutes. Identify the ones hold 6V. The rest go to the goats pile.

Again best pairs in series and 12V for 30 min. Touch or temp test. Put aside over night and test the next morning to see if they hold a charge.

This will take time.

Bob Wilson

20. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Right now all I have is a 1.5amp 12v smart charger. Would that be enough? I ordered the Reaktor 30amp 300watt tonight, and a 360 watt power supply from Amazon should be here Wednesday.