1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bent front frame rail: Does this warrant a total loss?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by Sylki, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Sylki

Sylki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Hi all! Got into an accident recently where someone rear ended me, causing me to bump into the car in front of me. From the outside damages it didn't look too bad and I figured I would just need to replace the bumper. But I took the car to a shop where they determined that the left front frame rail has been bent to a point where the entire frame on this side would need to be replaced. Given the cost estimate from this shop, insurance was considering this a "total loss". (Turns out this shop is toyota recommended to return it to factory specifications so its on the expensive side. My plan is to go to other shops for a second opinion and see if there are any who will fix it for cheaper.)

Based on the damages in this pictures, just wanted to gauge some opinions from other more Prius owners with more technical car knowledge on the state of this vehicle. Is the frame fixable and will it be safe after fixing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many people have found that once the frame is bent, the car usually never drives the same again.
    You would probably be better to either take the total loss or fond a comparable replacement vehicle and have insurance pay for that.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    frames can be straightened, but it depends on who is doing it. if at all possible, i would prefer it totaled, and purchase a new car.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently bought a 2008 from Steve at autobeyours.com, who specializes in rebuilding salvage Gen 2s. This one was in a front wreck, and he had replaced both front rails. I drove it 380-some miles to deliver it, and I think it tracks better than my own car. So it can be done, if done right. :)

-Chap

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Sylki

Sylki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the opinions so far everyone! I've taken pretty good care of the car so far which is why I'm quite reluctant to give it up. The car is two years old and only has 10,000 miles on it, I haven't gotten into any significant accidents before now, etc. Additionally, insurance has given me a pretty low quote as to what they're willing to pay for a total loss, compared to what I believe the value of my car actually is. So I'm leaning heavily toward trying to fix it, as long as I know that it's a safe option.

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The insurance companies often make more money parting the car out than the car is worth whole. Since Toyota's stance is that the car is to be a total loss if any permanently attached (welded on) part of the uni-body is damaged, the insurance company will often call it a total loss when they didn't need to.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... which is weird, considering they even publish a whole manual on nothing but how to remove and replace all those welded and brazed bits ....

-Chap

pilotgrrl and Elektroingenieur like this.
  8. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not so strange, in my opinion. They don't recommend it, but if you are going to do it, they have procedures. The are a seller of parts, after all.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Do you know if Toyota’s statement on this has been published? If they have such a rule, I wonder if it might apply only to new vehicles before delivery, or perhaps to Toyota Certified Used Vehicles, rather than to customers’ vehicles already in use.

As @ChapmanF notes, Toyota publishes an extensive library of Collision Repair Manuals, Collision Repair Information Bulletins, and training courses, giving approved procedures for safe repairs, including the welds to replace the damaged front side member seen in the photos of @Sylki's Prius c.

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I like cars like this because they're cheap to buy off people. Maaco pulls the frames for me and gets the front bumper close. Your frame looks cracked or going to crack. Might need a bead of weld after that. Ins and owners who use ins won't go for that crap. But I set low expectations so the shop knows I'm ok with and it's a cash deal. Then I drive the car another 100k miles.

If the bumper won't line up it'll pop off on the sides every time. Often the radiator frame is bent back too. Every case is different. Maybe u can take the acv/replacement cash, buy the salvaged car for a good price?