1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bentley manual check: Water Pump Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jreed, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Water Pump Replacement
    I was just inspecting the serpentine belt and water pump on my '06 this morning and see quite a bit of crust around the weep hole. I'm thinking to replace the belt and pump. Has anyone done this job following the instructions written up in the Bentley manual? If so, how did it go? Any tips, caveats or other advice? As for parts, it looks like I will need to buy a water pump with gasket and a serpentine belt. Will I need anything else? Is Champion Toyota World the best place to order these parts? Thanks for the advice!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be a good idea to replace the serpentine belt and engine coolant pump. I have previously posted on how to replace the serpentine belt and how to drain and replace the engine coolant (which is tricky due to the presence of the coolant heat recovery canister and electric pump.)

I don't have the Bentley manual but the Toyota repair manual indicates this is a pretty simple job. You may want to remove the engine under cover to improve your service access.

Tightening torque is 8.1 ft.-lb. for the three bolts and two nuts that hold the water pump, and 11 ft.-lb. on the three bolts for the water pump pulley.

I suggest that you loosen the water pump pulley bolts before you remove the old serpentine drive belt. That will allow you to do the job without having the tool that holds the pulley stationary.

Your list of needed parts is correct. I have enjoyed consistently excellent customer service from Champion Toyota (in Houston, TX) over the past six years and am pleased to recommend that parts source.

1 person likes this.
  3. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am looking to buy a replacement engine water pump and want OEM quality. The lowest OEM online price from a dealer looks like about $80 with shipping.
    On the other hand, I found an Aisin pump (part number W0133-1835325) from Autopartswarehouse that looks like it might be under $60 including the shipping. Does anyone know if the Aisin pump is actually OEM quality? What would I gain from buying a Toyota OEM water pump instead of the Aisin pump? Thanks! :)

AISIN Water Pump

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like a good find. Try it and let us know what you think.

(In the past I owned a BMW 325i convertible, and often bought discounted replacement parts that were made by the Gerrman original equipment suppliers to BMW (the replacement part was not shipped in BMW packaging. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are sure the part is not counterfeit.)

In general I find the Toyota parts pricing to be reasonable (other than for electronics-related items) so I usually will just buy the Toyota-branded parts at a discount.