1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best 12v Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Metrolens, May 15, 2018.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, cleaning-replacing the interior air filter and greasing the brake pins is a good move, the brakes if tight are a land anchor.

Right, the used traction is fine if you aren’t concerned about miles per gallon.

2. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't noticed any dropoff in MPG between my old original traction battery and the recon battery. In this case, almost all local driving on short trips, and brand new tires seems a better explanation for what I'm observing. I'm also having new brake pads put in, a new 12v coming in a few days, and just replaced both air filters.

And this is a little OT for the thread, but I thought the traction battery doesn't really "fade" over time - it dies suddenly. This is what happened with my original traction battery. Same MPG through its life, then a module failed. Isn't this the case?

3. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While we're at it, what settings will be lost during the 12v installation? I am aware there are ways to save them, but that adds a level of complexity (and potentially danger) to the operation that don't seem worth the trouble to me.

Is this a compete list of settings lost (sourced from a post by Mendel Leisk):
    1. Radio presets gone.
    2. Trip meters lost.
    3. Displays reset to defaults. (Meaning which displays, btw?)
    4. Window auto up/down sometimes lost. (Fixable by holding switch for 10+ seconds in up, then 10+ seconds in down position)
    5. Odd behaviour on start up, the next few times: excess rev-up, like the car is relearning throttle response or something

How about these:
    6. Nav Presets/Settings?
    7. Bluetooth Pairing?
    8. SKS/Door Lock settings?

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In addition to this list are custom config items that will reset to factory defaults.

9. Reverse Beep “off” will be On again.
    10. Seatbelt chimer “Off” (3 beeps only) will be back to many beeps mode.
    11. One push to unlock “all doors”will get reset to two push mode.

iPhone X ?

Metrolens likes this.
  5. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks DMC.

Can you or anyone confirm/elaborate on what will happen with #3 (which Displays to Default?), #6 (Nav totally wiped?), and #7 (Bluetooth pairings wiped?).

And #11 is what I meant by "SKS/Door Lock" settings. The key fob functionality will otherwise remain fine?

6. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is a base model, I don’t have those features.

I’m gonna guess 3. means display color options and brightness, contrast settings will revert to factory settings if you have them custom set.

iPhone X ?

#26 DMC-5180, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Metrolens likes this.
  7. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Ac Delco battery arrived today, looks great. I tested the voltage with multimeter, it read 13.0v, meaning it's fully charged. (I'm using an analog multimeter, which appears to run a little "hot" on these readings - I'm assuming 12.8v is a fully charged battery.)

But how can I verify the battery's age? What am I looking for? There's no sticker or code that's obviously the date - attached are two photos of all the codes/stickers on the battery. IMG_20180608_124751.jpg IMG_20180608_124802.jpg

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the 18c is march 2018.

9. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A good theory. Or maybe is the 20518 in the Barcode possibly 5/18, or May 2018?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if the seller would know.

11. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazon. Unlikely.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, maybe you can contact delco.

Metrolens likes this.
  13. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My interpretation using the Top label

Warranty void if removed section

Model number : ACDB24R

Mfg date : 0818 (8th week of 2018)
    OR
    Sell by date : 0818 (Aug 2018)
    ( the battery gets pulled from the shelf if not sold by then and is recycled)

Serial number for warranty registration.

Made in Korea. So you have to figure 1-2 months for transit through the distribution network.

It does not really matter what the Born on date is so long as it was placed in service prior to the sell by date and warranty registered. A/C delco will stand behind it.

Batteries have a relatively high sell rate. Popular batteries will always be fresh stock. High volume retailers will always have the most current product.

Your local retailer usually gets batteries weekly via distribution warehouse route delivery. But they only keep the most popular selling batteries on hand.

iPhone X ?

Metrolens likes this.
  14. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks DMC. I also have to think that 0818 is key here. I would imagine that if trying to simplify reading of the date instead of burying it, they would conform to normal date representation, meaning month/year. Weeks would make it confusing. Thus, if this is true, that would also point to the expiration date, I. E. August 2018. This would also be a more useful bit of info for sellers; it cuts through the ambiguity of when to recycle the battery if there is simply an expiration date.

All this is theory, of course. But if 0818 is either manu date or sell by, either way my batt is fine, right?

BTW I charged it overnight, no problems. It only took a few hours, confirming that it shipped nearly fully charged.

15. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes

Have you registered it for warranty?

iPhone X ?

16. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I successfully installed the new AC Delco. Notes:

1. Install took around 40 minutes. This is the first time I've replaced a 12v, so could probably be a bunch faster, but not bad.
    2. Most difficult part was indeed reattaching the vent screw. I didn't want to drop it, and don't have magnetic tools, so I improvised a solution by taping the screw to the ratchet head with some electric tape. It worked.
    3. Reattaching the vent hose to the new battery, I saw that somehow the vent hose had pulled entirely free from the floor hole. Uh, ok. I fed it back into the floor hole, and attached to battery, and it seems fine. Is this something to be concerned about?
    4. The AC Delco battery was an exact and trouble-free fit in every respect for the Gen 2.

The car started up again without any problem.
    -The SKS didn't lose its all-door open setting.
    -The Nav and Bluetooth didn't lose settings either, though the "Previous" memory in the Nav was wiped. The "Memory" presets in the Nav were all intact. I haven't looked at phone book or calendar, because, uh, I never use that stuff anyway.
    -The Display appears not to have been reset; color and brightness remained.
    -Radio Presets were wiped, needed reset obviously.
    -Clock needed reset.
    -The Reverse Beep had to be fixed.
    -The Power window Auto Up/Down lost function, and took a moment to reset and get working right, but figured it out.
    -The gas gauge was blinking empty for awhile, but I took the car for a ride around the block and it is now recalibrated and reading the correct amount of gas (nearly full).

Lastly, I ran a quick voltage check using the onboard menu test, and got:
    12.6v (Test 1)
    12.4 v (Test 2)
    14.0 (Engine Running)

#36 Metrolens, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  17. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick update - the AC Delco Battery has been behaving great so far. This first tank, the car is back over 50-51 MPG.

The only thing I've noticed is that the hybrid battery fan (the intake beside rear passenger seat) came on once and ran for about 3 minutes on starting the Prius, which it really hasn't done much at all in the past. This wasn't on a hot day either. Could this mean the AC Delco battery "runs hotter" than the Toyota OEM 12v?

#37 Metrolens, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, there is no fan for the 12v. are you talking about the fan behind the grille in the back seat? if so, that would be hybrid battery related. have we discussed its health yet?

ah, i see post #8, at least you're covered if it becomes an issue.

19. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Bisco. Yes, I meant the vent beside rear passenger seat. That is not for the 12v? I thought it was.

Does that vent running more often signal a hybrid battery issue? Again it only ran this one time, and the mpg has been good and SOC on the MFD has been totally normal.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it dumps the waste out the bottom in the 12v battery area, but it goes through the hybrid battery first, and the temp triggers are inside the case.

it usually means it is hot out, or the car is being driven hard, or the grille/fan is clogged. if none of those are the case, the hybrid battery may be over heating due to cell voltage fluctuations, or corroded busbars.

it is a 6 speed fan and runs quite a lot, but you usually only hear it at the higher speeds.

Metrolens likes this.