1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Aftermarket Catatlytic Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jburg, Dec 22, 2020.

1. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My coworker's car was hit at 0720 this morning. Catalytic convertor stolen in 3 mins with a jack and a sawzall.

They clipped the downstream O2S wire and cut it before the second after cat resonator (there are 2 hangers on this piece). Going to replace the sensor with the OE Denso 2344623

Which brand seems to do the best or one that other's have had success with?

Thanks.

#1 jburg, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I should point out is the thing I am worried about is the length of pipe after the first resonator (actually the second cat after watching videos) on the aftermarket piece.

Any experience with Bosal?

#3 jburg, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No experience, best to measure both your measurements and the replacement converter.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see your interest in the Bosal. 1 piece full replacement for 318.79 + shipping on Rock auto. Shipping is probably a lot though, it would be a really big box.

You should try making a new post about the brand. It would get more eyes on the question that way.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While I haven't done a cat on a Prius, I have had mixed results with any aftermarket cat as far as having it keep the check engine light off. Some have been ok, some others will throw a P0420 catalyst efficiency code after a few months. As far as Bosal specifically, my biggest problem with them is I often have poor fit. The bends and angles can be just a little bit off, the hangers don't line up, or something hits somewhere. It can be made to work but it can take a bunch of effort sometimes.

There are folks here who have had decent luck with AM cats, but I usually recommend OE.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

donbright and Skibob like this.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Bosal muffler in an old W201 Mercedes. I replaced it once it seemed to develop a hole prematurely. I had trouble fitting but due to my poor measurement and cutting. Measure twice cut once.

Bosal USA merged with Magnaflo back in 2017 and is now called BRExhaust. I would take a chance on it if it's what I needed length wise.

moto g(7) power ?

9. rm04

rm04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    From everything Ive gathered a universal catalytic converter will not work properly (at least for a Gen 2 Prius), you need a direct fit or OEM. Mine was stolen and I went through a repair shop that's in my insurance's network. After paying a large deductible, my insurance company directed the shop to put on a universal catalytic converter. When I arrived to pick up my car, I argued with a shop employee that a universal was not sufficient for a ULEV. He said that I would have to take it up with insurance because they ordered the part, not the shop. In a day I had a check engine light (produced by P0420) and my mpg's dropped by 9 or so. I returned the car to the shop and informed my insurance they would have to replace it with at least a direct fit or I would really consider not renewing with them.They claimed that the part was likely just defective but I wasn't buying it. After a big hassle of talking to too many representatives and really considering dropping this insurance they agreed to do it. I ended up with a Walker 16337. I would prefer a MagnaFlow but the Walker is what was available.

If you're making a claim through your insurance tell them upfront you will not accept a universal catalytic converter for your Prius, period.

douglasjre and donbright like this.