1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best all season tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nooaah, Sep 2, 2008.

1. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't heard wonderful things about the Nokians involving fuel economy. What I know is I need to get rid of these OEMs. I have some pretty steep hills in my area and three times now in rain I've skidded a little going under 20mph. Unacceptable. I couldn't find this in a thread search so I'm asking here:

What are, in your opinion, the best all season tires for gripping but with low resistance? I need something that will do much better on wet roads and average-above average in snow.

2. KC Prius

KC Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a lot of discussion about replacing the OEM tires on the Modifications forum. One of the most recent threads is titled Tire Upgrade.

Hope that helps.

3. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. It seems like a lot of people dig the Goodyear TripleTreds for the type of weather we get in the mid-Atlantic/Northeast but I'm reading that you can lose ~10% mpg. That's a little much...

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A lot of members like Nokian WR-G tires. These seem to do well for traction and rolling resistance.

I use Micheline MXV4+ Energy tires in the stock size. Micheline doesn't make these anymore, but they are making an MXV4+ Primacy in the same size, and it should be very similar. My Michelines have worked very well in our snowy Michigan winters.

If you live somewhere really bad, you might want to use dedicated snow and ice tires.

Tom

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd happily give up 10% of the mileage in exchange for excellent traction - the integrities really are that bad. The best mileage in the world isn't much consolation if you're in an accident. I can heartily recommend the TripleTreds, though I have not yet had the opportunity to test them out in the snow. Still, they're an 'all season', not a snow tire.

6. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the Michelines. :)

Well, it's not an issue of TripleTreds or nothing. I will get new tires, I just want to find a balance. And I'd like to find the balance before the rainy October/November months...And especially our unpredictable winter!

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10%??? Where did you read that?

In any event, the TripleTreds are Consumer Reports, Tire Rack, and Tire Rack customers' highest rated passenger all season tire.

And Consumer Reports rates the TTs' rolling resistance as "Very Good".

EDIT: But you might want to consider CR's next highest rated passenger all season -- the Michelin X Radial, which has CR's highest rolling resistance rating of "Excellent".

8. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of the threads, someone claimed to go down from 48 to 45. Someone else said he lost almost 5. But more people said they lost a couple or none at all. Shrug!

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe consider CR's next highest rated passenger all season tire -- the Michelin X Radial, which CR rates as having a rolling resistance of "Excellent".

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Being a Dutchman, my vote goes to the Vredestein Quatrac 2 and Quatrac 3 (made in Holland). These are all season tires with low rolling resistance. They have passed the requirements for snow tires. I use Vredestein Quatrac 2 in the size 205/55 R16. The grip on the road is awesome, but tirewear is a bit high. I expect I have to replace them at 40.000 miles. In the US they may be a bit hard to find.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports' Ratings Passenger All Season Tires

In case you haven't seen it, attached is Consumer Reports' ratings for passenger all season tires. It was published in its November 2005 issue.

My apologies for attaching it as a Word file, but that's the only way my limited computer skills allowed!

Good luck.

Attached Files:

12. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Really? What have you heard?

I haven't had mine on that long, but I have not noticed a difference in fuel economy yet.

Mike

13. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That you lose 1 or 2 mpg. If you say you haven't noticed a difference, I'll believe you. How much do they cost? A place 1 mile from my office has them in stock.

14. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I talked to a guy at one of our local tire shops who claimed that almost every triple tred set he has sold has come back in about 6 months (after some initial tire wear) with complaints of noise. Any comments on that??
    He emphasized that they were great tires in every other way, and that he would gladly sell them to me, but with that disclaimer...
    Jim

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's one of the things that sold me on the Micheline tires: they are very quiet. I've heard that the TTs are noisier, but have never tried them, so I can't say.

Tom

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TripleTreds Have CRs' Best Noise Rating

Consumer Reports, in the Ratings Chart I linked above, rates the TripleTreds' noise as "Excellent" -- its best rating.

I have had TripleTreds on three cars now, including one with over 40,000 miles on the TTs. And I have never had a problem with noise from the TTs.

However, I believe that nyprius, the Chatter that started that great thread "Tire Upgrade", has recently reported that he has noticed increased noise when his TTs' wore down to near replacement time. I suspect that may be a natural consequence of wear?

17. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I paid approximately 475, but I traded in my Integritys. If I recall correctly, they gave me 100 credit for those. So, they were 140ish each mounted and balanced, give or take. They do cost more than the Integritys, in fact, they cost about double.

I have liked them so far. They seem slightly quieter than the Integritys (to me) and they handle better. On the freeway, cross winds seem to have only about half the effect on stability when compared to the OEM tires. They do have a stiffer sidewall and a higher load rating which translates to a slightly stiffer ride. I really only notice when hitting a sharp edge, such as uneven concrete joints.

Nokian used canola oil in the rubber compound for the WR-G2, which they claim reduces rolling resistance. I can still get 48 MPG (the same as with the Integritys) running them at 36 PSI all around. My wife only gets 45, but that's not the tires :) I have not tried them at a higher PSI yet. Also, I only have about 3,500 miles on the car, so it's not at its optimum yet.

The big thing for me is snow and ice traction, at which the Nokians are very good. I had the regular WRs on my Nissan Maxima and liked them. The only complaint I had was they were rated at 50K miles, but I only got 32K before they were down to the wear bars. That could be in part, because the Nissan has 265 HP, which was used regularly :)

Mike

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The tire noise makes it so that blind people can hear the Prius, and not get run over ;)

19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We used to run tires like that on our Jeep. We called them "gravediggers": voovoovooovovooovoovoovovooo as you drove down the road. Ah, back when gas was 17 cents a gallon, full service.

Tom

20. LKJR

LKJR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have had the Nokian WR G2s for about 9,000 miles now and I love them. MUCH better handling in rain and snow than the stock Integrity tires. I may have lost about 1 to 1.5 MPG. I currently average 47-49 mpg in the summer and about 46-47 in the winter. PSI 42 front, 40 back. Stock wheels.