1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Alternatives to Michelin Energy Saver A/S ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ngc4565, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the 195/65R15 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my car. Michelin does list these as 10 on the Efficiency rating, the same as the Energy Saver. Michelin Customer Support even continues to insist this size is LRR even though they do not carry the GreenX label.

My experience has been that I have dropped from a 48 mpg average down to a 44 mpg average, a loss of about 8.5%, after installing these tires. Tire Rack correctly lists this size tire as non-LRR.

As you said earlier, the longevity of the tire versus the Energy Saver is worth a little. Other than the loss of mpg the MXV4 is an excellent tire in the comfort, handling and quietness categories along with the longevity with the 65k mile warranty.

3 people like this.
  2. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excellent first hand experience. Thanks for posting!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Critic had the same experience although his mpg is coming back up slowly.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ran into the same problem last year! I ended up with the "summer-only" EP100 tires, which have performed fairly well MPG-wise. They actually did OK in our recent winter storm conditions, though I switched to my Blizzaks anyway. What is the deal with Michelin & tire production???

BTW, Blizzaks are NOT LRR tires. They kill my mileage, like a 20% reduction.

5. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Next time try the Michelin XIce-2. We are losing about 2 MPG vs. the OEM Yokohama S33D. Some of that has to be attributable to colder weather.

1 person likes this.
  6. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We now have over 55,000 miles on our 195x65x15 Michelin Energy Saver tires that we purchased new at Costco. All 4 tires are inflated to max sidewall pressure of 44 psi with nitrogen from Costco.

When we bought these tires the original Yoko Avid had about 11,000 miles on them and they were well broken in. Soon as the Michelin were installed we noticed a true mpg increase of 2-3 mpg over the Yoko.

Looks like we will get at least 65,000 - 70,000 on these tires before the need to be changed.

Even though the Michelin Energy tires have been great I am also looking a the new Michelin Defender tire and the Nokian Entyre which should get longer tread mileage and probably the same if not more mpg's than the energy saver tires.

alfon

7. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the second mention now of the Michelin Defender. I quickly reviewed on of Michelin's promotional videos and could not help noticing that the tread pattern looked very similar if not identical to the Energy Saver A/S. Is this the successor to that tire? Any word on availability?

8. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I believe it was stated that the Michelin Defender will be the successor to the Michelin Harmony and HydroEdge. And, if you look very closely, the tread pattern of the Defender is more similar to the Continental ProContact EcoPlus+ than the Energy Saver A/S.

9. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah - that was a <1 Second flash on the tread in the video I saw, but it definitely looked familiar.

Given the early Spring here in the northeast I am just going to have to buy something, sooner and not later. The Continentals are looking like the logical choice, but they appear to last forever. Forever is a long time to be stuck with something that you don't like.

I had a set of Continental Contacts on a 1997 Audi A4 in 195/60/15. These were rather quickly relegated to winter service when I purchased a set of 16-inch wheels with more suitable "sticky" tires. The Continentals made their appearance every winter but were still on the car when it was traded eight years later with 159,000 on the odometer. The Continentals did at least 60,000 of those miles, but they were rather uninspiring. That pretty much sums up my concern of "forever being a long time."

Attached Files:

10. LTZR1

LTZR1 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You might look at the Continentals in another way......you might LIKE them so much you WANT them to "last forever."

They do appear to be an excellent tire and a very good value.

11. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  12. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe, maybe not. Note how Michelin compares the Defender to the Yokohama Avid TRZ when making their efficiency claims. The Avid TRZ is not a low rolling resistance tire.

13. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I find myself stuck in the same quandary. The test report from the Tire Rack suggests that the Continentals with Eco Plus may come with a 1 MPG penalty based on a rough extrapolation. OTOH the EP100 seems weak in dry stopping distance, yet strong in wet stopping.

It does not look like the Michelin Defender will be classified as a LRR tire. I base this assumption on the fact that Michelin compares it to the Yokohama Avid TRZ, which is not a LRR tire. It could well be an interesting alternative for those of you who favor the Michelin MXV4, but I plan to rule out anything not specifically within the LRR class.

The groundhog saw his shadow earlier this month, so it looks as though there will be six more weeks of winter to decide the outcome here. Meanwhile we are just loving those Michelin XIce-2 winter tires. Highly recommended!

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm inclined to agree with you. The Defender is a replacement tire for the Harmony and Hydroedge line so I doubt it will also be replacing the Energy Saver A/S.

Here is the breakdown between the EP100 and ContiProContact with EcoPlus.

If you want max mpg then go with the EP100

If you want maximum tire life go with ContiProContact

If you want to save the most money go with the ContiProContact

If you want the best dry traction go with the ContiProContact

If you want the best wet traction go with either tire

It appears to me that the Contis win in most categories unless you are a serious hyper miler and want to eek out every possible mpg. I have a feeling the Contis are about 1-2mpg lower than the EP100.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excellent summary. The deck does seem pretty well stacked in favor of the Continentals, but the thought of doing something that will reduce the fuel is a troubling one.

17. JohnPE

JohnPE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't really recommend one brand over another, but I found the attached spreadsheet helpful in sorting out the financial impact of each tire choice. I got very good technical information for each tire option from Tire Rack, and played around with installing slightly larger tires than OEM to reduce the number of revolutions per mile, thereby achieving a slightly *higher final gear ratio* (i.e., getting more miles per 1,000 revolutions should translate into better miles per gallon and longer tire life). Note that your odometer and speedometer will be affected by this change and you may need to make mental adjustments to that effect.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've discussed this before but not in any great detail. The Prius HSD system including the "eCVT" does not react to tire size changes like a typical fixed gear transmission and axle. In a conventional car, using a taller tire will reduce engine rpm at a given speed compared to a shorter tire at the same speed. It doesn't work that way for the Prius.

19. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am inclined to believe you with gas at $3.50/gallon, but let's dig a little deeper.
    Everything depends upon your assumptions. Put gas prices at $4/gal. and tell us how you feel about that. Move it it up to $4.50/gal. and tell us again.

I think that your statement makes sense with gas at less than $4/gal but starts to break down above that. Your comments?

As stated before, fuel economy is not everything.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that as gas prices rise the focus on max mpg should become more important. The four variables you have to consider are treadlife, mpg, tire cost, and gasoline cost. A low priced tire with very long tread life and decent mpg is usually the best choice but as gas prices go up a more expensive tire that gets better mpg may be more economical as long as tread life is not too low. So like I stated in my main tire thread, one must take all of this into consideration when buying a new set of tires.

If your annual mileage is at or below the national average then a high mpg tire may be you best bet if you are worried about gas prices remaining above $4/ga. If, like me, you drive 26k-30k a year then you'll go through tires fast enough that you don't have to sweat long term gas price trends. :)