1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best amp install spot?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DT's_2008_Touring, Apr 17, 2008.

1. DT's_2008_Touring

DT's_2008_Touring New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to install a 5-channel Alpine PDX amp with the JL Audio SSI & Cleansweep sound processors. My buddy thinks this will all fit under the front passenger seat after removing the OEM amp. I'd prefer the trunk, but he said we won't have to hassle with running new wire all over if we put it under the front seat.

The amps I've seen installed on this forum show them in the trunk. Is there a particular reason for this? And, is OEM speaker wire good enough for this system upgrade?

I'm just a bit nervous about having him do it, as although he's an electrician, he's never installed an amp before.

Oh, and how the heck is the subwoofer wired if the OEM has no subwoofer output.

Yes, I know...I should just give the car to a professional installer...which is actually fine with me, but my buddy is insisting on saving me money, lol.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh yeah.. welcome to the group. :)

Make sure to take a peak at your area's forum. You might find people around you who are willing to give you a hand.

4. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I've been rummaging around the forums since the weekend, trying to get as much information as I can. As you can probably tell, I'm not terribly install-friendly.....I can throw a computer together pronto, but car stereos I don't know much about.

I've purchased very nice after-market equipment, so I don't want to do an install that's shoddy.

I just got my Prius a bit over a week ago and have been having fun trying to max my mileage.

5. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put my Cleansweep SSI & DSP on top of the JBL amp, and my JL 300/4 amp in the hatchbox. There's not enough room for all three under the passenger seat since you want to keep your OEM amp for Bluetooth and Nav etc., which is the reason for buying the Cleansweep units in the first place.

Since my car doesn't have Nav, I put a Kenwood sub under the driver seat and run a line out from the JL amp to it. I also installed two fans in the hatchbox to keep my amp cool.

No matter how you splice it, you will have to run some cables back and forth. That's part of the fun. Sort of.

Also, if you're going through all this trouble, you might want to invest in sound deadening as well. Some people use Dynamat. I prefer Secondskin. Either one will work well and will greatly enhance your sound system.

Take your time, have fun, and drink plenty of fluid while doing it...

6. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ahhh....so I *do* have to keep the OEM amp intact, and will have to run new wiring all over. Well, I think that'll do my friend in, lol.

I did buy some Dynamat for the door speakers. I don't know if I really need to do the full door, or primarily just in and around the speaker housing.

Thanks a lot.

7. DT's_2008_Touring

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I finally figured out the best solution....take it to Beach Auto Sound in Huntington Beach and let them do it, lol.

The main guy actually works in service at a Toyota dealership and knew a great deal about upgrading the JBL system, etc. Install prices seemed very reasonable too, so hopefully will get it done this weekend. I'll update everyone and post some pics. He said I can also install the 8" sub in the left hand "nook" of the cargo area, which would be really cool if that works well.