1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Audio Mods in Southern California

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by savingtheearth, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Erick

Erick Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Mar 3 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]219499[/snapback]</div>
    Hey mssmith95,

I know this is an 8 month old post but I wanted to see if you would still recommend Stereo City even though Horst is no longer working htere. I am desperate to find a good place for a complete install in the LA area. Beach Audio is just too far for me to go, especially if they'll need the car for a couple days to do all the necessary work... Plus, I've emailed Beach a few times with no response which is a bit frustrating...

Thanks!
    Erick

2. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    alright i know its old but can i see the photos that beach auto sound did. they told me to search it on here to view what they did. i am getting to mad at the dealer because they assured me i could get certain things on my prius but BAC says no no no so i am back and fourth with the manager.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KateBell1977 @ Sep 4 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]507004[/snapback]</div>

What things would that be?

4. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 4 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]507006[/snapback]</div>

i wanted the head unit for sirius and wanted to use my ipod with steering wheel controls but i want it to look stock i am picky that way. sales said package 2 can do that and its sirius ready and the ipod will work with the steering wheel controls. i ask the advisor and he said he didnt know how comforting was that? the parts people know nothing about the ipod thing and dont know what i need for sirius. again not assuring at all to me. from what i have read is package 2 is not equpped for sirius in the unit so i have to get plug and play. my ipod is an old one 20gb so the remote for it is wired and uses the same place i need to plug in for the aux. i was told that if there are any interfaces that work with prius which are few and far between then i ask about the after market stuff i was told oh you will void the warranty if its not toyota oem and if its toyota it must be installed at a dealer even though my dhs work uses the same vendor the toyota dealer uses. so i was one angry lady today! i am still waiting to see what is going to happen with my car since i told the manager he can take the keys and unwind the deal. only because the dealer gave me bad info on what package i needed otherwise i would have got the pack 5 they had there or a 4 or a 3. that was no issue really. and there was another thing i got mad about but that is ok.

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The info you got was an ill-informed mixture of sort-of right to downright wrong.
    Your package 2 is just as equipped to work with a satellite tuner and ipod as a package 8.

First off, a package 1 doesn't come with the aux in plug in the center console, package 2 & up does; that's why you were told you need a package 2 or better.
    When you plug your ipod into that aux-in plug you will hear the sound over your speakers, and you will be able to turn the volume up/down with the steering wheel controls; however, you will not be able to jump through songs from your steering wheel (like you can on CDs)...you'll still have to do that on the actual ipod.
    You also will not see any of the artist/song info off your ipod on the multi-function display (MFD).

There are devices out there (Vais, Dice, etc) that you can buy & have put in your car that integrate your ipod more fully with the car (regardless of package #). With these you would have the ability to flip through
    the songs on your ipod and see the artist/title info on your MFD; however, you would want to make sure
    your vintage ipod is fully compatible before buying either of those devices. There are several threads here on PriusChat with folks griping about one thing or another related to their Vais or Dice integration units....so you may want to read through some of those to know what to expect.

Satellite radio, specifically Sirius, is a separate issue from the ipod, at least equipment-wise.
    There is a sat tuner that toyota dealerships put in Prii (and other Toyota models) that integrates
    with the factory radio (also regardless of package #). There's a PriusChat member named "Metro"
    who works in the parts department of a Toyota Dealership who sells the sat tuner & associated wiring harness over the web for about $250.
    This unit, aside from its limitation of displaying only 10 characters per line for Artist/Title, integrates very well; giving you touch screen control via the MFD and steering wheel controls as well. You can have the dealership install this unit without voiding any warranty.
    Vais also makes a unit (SLS) that integrates a sirius tuner with the factory system.

So your choices are:
    1.) Use your ipod with the aux-in port in the center console.
    2.) Add an ipod integration unit like the Vais or Dice to gain added integration & functionality.
    3.) Add an integrated sat tuner (from Metro or Vais)
    4.) Add a plug-n-play satellite unit.

Or some combination of the above choices, although some combos would be redundant.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck!

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KateBell1977 @ Sep 4 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]507152[/snapback]</div>

Whoa, first of all. The AUX jack cannot do steering wheel controls. You'll need a USA-Spec, DICE or VAIS unit for that. You CAN get the built-in Sirius kit and it will will PERFECTLY. Just because the radio does not have the SAT button doesn't mean it doesn't have the software needed in there to control it. You'll press the AM button to turn on the SAT kit.

You can't void the warranty with after-market accessories. There's laws in place that protect you from car makers trying to tell you that.

This information is the same NO MATTER WHAT package you have. It's 100% the same for all Prius's.

7. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 5 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]507597[/snapback]</div>

that is what i thought too about the sirius kit now i am so confused on what to do. do i want the starmate 4? then i can get a dock for the house to work with my bose 321. or do i want the sirius kit? ok my appointment is friday so i think i will need some imput on who got the starmate hardwired to the prius and like it? what were the drawbacks?

oh vagabond i love your avatar its so rad!

8. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    thanks Geo geek i am so in the middle on the sirius thing but after telling the sales that service was wrong and that the audio guys had the thing to the ipod they sent my car over and paid for it to be installed its the usa spec and it works hooray!

i really want my car to look classy and stuff inside because what is in style now maybe wont be later on but the stock always looks clean. i am just funny that way unless its a ferrari haha i have seen so many that are modded and stuff at dh work.

i told dh that maybe that kit is worth looking into too hmmmmmm decisions decisions.