1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best body shop in DC metro area?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by clightdc, Feb 8, 2006.

1. clightdc

clightdc New Member

I'm new to this group and my Prius is also fairly new (7 months). Unfortunately, my driving isn't "new" or apparently very attentive in an unfamiliar parking lot.
    I managed to back into a pillar and do, according to Geico, some $2300 damage to my car. (It's a black 2005 with light tan leather seats -- I get lots of compliments on what a good looking car it is.)

My old-reliable body shop doesn't want to work on it because of the "power train" and nothing I said about a rear quadrant collision doesn't involve the power system made any difference. I guess I respect them for knowing their limitations, but it leaves me looking for a repair source.

I'd called my dealer (Jim Coleman in Bethesda) and got transferred to and turned off by their body shop --- brusque and annoyed folks there, confirmed by a couple of on-line reviews.

Can anyone recommend a shop? I live in DC so have a preference for someone relatively close in, but it doesn't matter if it's Virginia, MD, or DC. I saw that in this group's previous chat about this, there was a recommendation for a Lorton, Va. location and one person mentioned "Koons collision" as having done a good job.

I'd be grateful for any opinions or recommendations, posted here or mailed to me at [email protected].

Thanks much.

Carol Light

2. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would be a bit of a drive, but my parents have had good luck with the service and body shop at Kern Toyota in Winchester, VA. I was unimpressed with their sales staff the one day I went Prius shopping (they were much more interested in selling the Corollas on the lot than a Prius they didn't have), but they have taken good care of my mom's Camry.

We've also used Seneca Auto Body in Leesburg, VA with success. I've heard good things about Body Works, also in Leesburg, but that they are expensive.

It sounds like we're bad drivers from my knowledge of body shops....but there are 4 cars in the family, Mom hit a deer, and Dad was rearended. (And I'll admit...I rearended someone as a teenager).

3. jkaplan

jkaplan New Member

I got rear ended last year on the Dulles Toll Road. I ended up using the body shop for Koons Tysons Toyota. They do body work on the Prius. They did a great job, but it was basically just replacing the bumper. They are/were on Edsal Road, off 395 in VA.

Koons Tysons Body Shop

Joe

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was pleased with Darcars in Rockville.

5. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Member

I'm not sure if you are still looking for a body shop, but someone dented my Prius in a parking lot on Saturday ::grumble::

I work for a major DC-based insurer, and asked an AD adjuster buddy for a body shop recommendation. He recommended Cherner Collision Center in Rockville, and referred me personally to the Manager. The manager was incredibly nice and wrote up an estimate for me to take to the at-fault party. The estimate seems extremely reasonable for the amount of work they have to do (fix the dent and re-paint and re-detail 2 doors). I plan to use them for my bodywork and will update again with the results.

I have no personal or professional relationship with the body shop and certainly will not benefit in any way if ya'll use them, I just wanted to pass on my experience.

I also second disliking Jim Coleman Toyota--they were pretty rude to me too when I went to get the SSP-50C.

--
    Hillary

6. akim

akim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To revive an old thread, any more recommendations?

Has anyone had any experience at Chantilly Auto Body? The come recommended by Ourisman Toyota, but the online reviews are horrendous for them.

Recently got into an accident, where I rear ended an SUV. GEICO's recommending their preferred shops - one of which is a Cadillac/HUMMER auto body shop. They look good, but it's a Prius! I'm not confident they'll know what do to if they get in a jam.

Thoughts? :confused:

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would call a few local dealers and get their recommendations. If you haven't heard good things about Chantilly Auto Body, I'd stay away if I could.

8. meidude

meidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used a Chinese-owned body shop in Silver Spring a few times, and it does very good work, not only body but engines and other works as well, at a bargain price:

A Quality Auto Body and Painting
    9200 Talbot Ave
    Silver Spring, MD 20910
    Phone: (301) 585-3600
    E-mail: [email protected]

9. priusmaster

priusmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have used Z autobody and paint in Chantilly virginia and they do a great job. There motto is if you not happy you dont pay. 100% satisfaction gaurantee. They have certified hybrid tech and they do a great job.

Z autobody and paint
    Chantilly VA
    703-802-3344