1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best braking method for short downhill

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DumbMike, Sep 1, 2010.

1. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read through the other posts regarding downhill braking, but they seem to be for situations for long downhill and steep braking.

My situation is that on my daily commute to work, there are a couple of downhill grades of about 150 yards long (maybe a little shorter). When at the top of the hill I can see there are cars waiting at a stop light at the bottom of the small hill (it really isn't a hill, but I can't think of any other description).

So, I glide for better MPG. But should I wait until I get near the cars at the bottom of the hill and make a rather sudden (but not unsafe) braking, or should I periodically tap the brakes to gently proceed down the hill and slowly come to a stop at the bottom? I don't want to look at the screen during this time because that's a little unsafe (it's a real tight street and people will open car doors or even cross the street in front of me.

Obviously, this isn't a long road. I know I'll encounter this situation everywhere. There can even be a similar situation on the freeway. I'm not that big on the B gear (yet), so I'd like to avoid that for the meantime until I really understand that.

Thanks everybody.

Dumb Mike

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A light steady continuous braking will get better regeneration than hard all-at-once braking. Pulsed braking will depend on how hard it is. If the HSI CHG bar is not pegged (approximately), then you are not wasting anything. But the amount of braking needed to peg this bar varies with speed.

If you can adjust your speed to get to the bottom after the light turns green and traffic is moving, avoiding a full stop, you can do better than any regeneration.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good advice, as long as the braking isn't too light. Very light regenerative braking is less efficient, due to some fixed losses in the system. If you can feel the braking, you are doing fine.

Tom

4. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks fuzzy1 and qbee42.

I'll do the slow/pulsing braking method. But I'd like to add another question: Is there any reason to do another braking method. Put another way, is there is situation where doing all of the braking at the bottom of the hill, or that a light, unnoticeable braking, is better?

I really don't like "worrying" too much about technique. But I think learning proper (or should I say "efficient") technique is something that should be done so I'll just learn it a little at a time.

Dumb Mike

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't really need to worry about braking. Drive normally and the Prius will do the rest.

Now if you enjoy playing with the car and trying to get the most out of it, then you can start thinking about optimized driving. The first thing is to try to not stop, so if you can time the lights, that is your best bet. Otherwise try to minimize the amount of braking.

Tom

6. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, light braking is the best way, I think. Otherwise hard braking near the end would invoke the mechanical brake pads which causes the car to loose energe through heat.

I encounter a lot of these relatively short downhill slopes 3 or 4 times each day. Generally IF TRAFFIC ALLOWS (I can't stress this enough), way before the down slope I coast the car to a slower speed creating a much longer distance between me and the car in front (saves gas by coasting). Then when I reach the top of the slope I set it to neutral by pushing the gear knob towards myself for 2 seconds. My car is now neutral gliding down hill with a much bigger distance before the car in front. My car speed was slowly accelerating in the first half of the slope but it becoems faster (over speed limit) later. Many times the red light at the bottom of the slope turns green and I keep it rolling in neutral untill it slows back down to traffic normal speed. Then I put it to cruise control, untill next slope, repeat step one.

7. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FYI, coasting in neutral is illegal in California (California Motor Vehicle Code 21710 for those who wish to look it up). Not sure about the other states and countries.

But it sure sounds like a good thing to try to maximize gas milage.

Dumb Mike

8. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you search the forum this "illegal neutral" law had been discussed quite a bit. It is an outdated law set long time ago when automatic transmissions didn't even exist. Basically it was because when the cars were still all using standard manual gears, it's very difficult and thus very dangerous to put the gear back to drive at high speed due to the mismath of gear speeds. The transmission might even get damaged.

It does not affect automatics and it sure does not affect the Prius HSD, but it's still the law, I guess. You don't have lost of steering and you don't have lost of braking. Get your hand ready to put it back to "D" anytime to engage regen braking. You still have to manage the speed of the car. Just don't crash the car when it's in neutral and nobody will ever know!

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The all-at-once harder braking, exceeding regen limits and forcing friction braking, is good for cleaning the rust off the brake rotors. Thanks to regen, brake rust is a more common problem on Prius than on most non-hybrids.

My old Subaru also has problems with excessive brake rust, but for different reasons.

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is all great advice, I would just do all the suggestions. When it comes right down to it, small hills and small trips are not really that impotant as far as saving energy goes. One thing about repetitive commute driving is you get really good at it.:rolleyes:

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any possibility that you could approach the top of the hill at a slower speed to minimise the amount of braking? That might help.

12. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, but I did not wish to get into an "illegal neutral" law discussion. I was just referencing the post which said to do it. I'm not too sure how much we should be advocating such tactics until they take the laws off of the books.

I try to follow the law, but have been known to cut a corner or two.

Dumb Mike

13. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A good point that I never thought of. Not exactly sure how much of a problem it is, especially in the stop and go traffic I encounter, such that I have to use my brakes probably more than others.

Dumb Mike

14. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe the most important message is that there are different ways to skin a cat, and maybe I should do them all as there are reasons for each.

I also figured that small hills/small trips aren't that important. However, this is the situation that I encounter on my daily commute. And like you say, hopefully I'll be good at it. So, when I encounter steeper, longer and maybe more dangerous hills, I can use my newly learned techniques to save on some gas.

Dumb Mike

15. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess that too is a possibility. One more thing to try to do.

Dumb Mike

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You do have to be careful Mike because Cops know when your car is inNeutral:D:D:D:D:D

17. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As I understand it, "B" mode (per the manual) should be used for long downhill stretches. It emulates "low" gear on a conventional transmission by applying additional regenerative braking beyond that applied when your foot is off of the accelerator. This can be observed by watching the Hybrid System Indicator on the MID.

That being said, I use "B" mode when I anticipate slowing down with enough room ahead of me before applying the brakes. I do this on all relatively flat or slight downgrades. I assume this saves some wear and tear, as little as it is, on the brake pads. And yes, I know the definition of "assume."

Is there any fault to my logic? Probably. Which is why I'm posting here. There are plenty of good people here to tell me why I should or shouldn't be doing this. Thanks in advance.

18. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I find the proper thread, I'll tell the story of how the cop thought I was not "properly" using the hands free device for my cell phone and was going to write me a ticket.

Dumb Mike

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wear and tear saved on brake pads is applied to the engine. In the places you use it, I'd rather wear the pads.

B mode cannot apply any more regeneration than you already get with a light touch on the brakes. However, it also spins up the engine to waste energy in compression losses. This is a good thing on long hills that will fill the HV battery and seriously heat the brakes, but is merely wasteful in most other situations.

1 person likes this.
  20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now Mike, really, I didn't even know that cops looked for people doing those things. Like my Mother always said " Keep your hands above the covers":D:D:D:D