1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best BT Phone out there now??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DaddyLongLegs, Sep 4, 2004.

1. DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs Junior Member

BT Not Perfect

After much joy with establishing BT between the Prius and the V600 Moto, I now have a bit of an issue. After 5-15mins of BT connection I loose the ability to make hands free calls because the screen phone key pad and BT settings are greyed out on the Prius display. However, the BT connection on the phone and car shows it is connected and I can speed dial. The problem is intermittent and my attempts and troubleshooting have not been successful. The only way to correct to date is turn of the car and let the car and phone find each other again. This isn't very practical though...

Techology!!! :( :roll:

2. DaddyLongLegs

Response to poll

Motorola V600:

-Set up difficulty.

OK

2-Speed connecting with car.

3 seconds

3-Sound quality.

Good

4-Transfer of phone book.

Difficult

5-Display of signal strength/roaming/caller id/etc.

Good/No Problems

6-Does the prius RING for incoming calls.

Yes, when connected

7-Transfer from phone to car/car to phone on already established calls.

Haven't tried yet.

See other post about loosing full BT connetivity with phone after 5-10 mins in car!

3. DaddyLongLegs

Prius is Smarter than I am!

Had issue with new BT V600 Motorola phone not fully integrated with handsfree capability. Whenever I would be driving along the dial keypad was greyed out as was the BT settings. Retained speed dial capabilities and phone book. When the car was stopped the phone keypad on the dispaly would become available. Thought it was a BT connection issue.

Finally dawned on me that this was by Toyota design and that greying out the phone keypad and BT options prevent the driver from being distracted trying to drive and enter a phone number on the keypad at the same time! DuH :oops: Anyway when stopped I have full functionality of all available BT options including the dial pad. Just need to ensure that the car phone books contains regularly used numbers for speed dial, etc..

4. dennisd

dennisd New Member

I discovered the same issue with BT greying out everything except the 1 touch dial. During my miserable drive down I15, I have noticed that you can still use all of the phone dial features if you are traveling 5 mph or less. It does become a hassle accessing voicemail at work when you need to save messages or delete them when traffic races up to 10 miles per hour. As you said, I am sure it is a safety issue and is probably a good thing. Still, with 18 preset 1 touch dials, most of the calls I make are covered. My phone does have voice actuated dialing (press a button and say a name). Can this feature somehow be used with the Prius bt connection?

50.3 mpg and lovin' it

5. CHART

CHART Member

No, if the phone is outside of your car, it is not "partnered" with anything and acts like a regular phone.

Once I call from the handset I have never been able to successfully switch back to the Prius. Someone else on these boards has been able to, but not me. To be fair, I only tried once.

Is it obvious I'm fully geeked out in my Prius and loving it???

6. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    CHART,

Thanks for the reply. I do get BT errors when I get calls outside the car. Maybe just my phone. You can transfer the call made on the phone to the car by hitting menu then call-to-speak.

7. CHART

CHART Member

Cool, thanks D. I'll try it tomorrow!

8. Bluepointvance

Bluepointvance Junior Member

9. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

ok my phone
    SE T616
    easy
    3 seconds
    good
    multiple (but you can only have one number per name)
    will display everything
    rings via phone
    not sure how to transfer call either way

Great phone if Cingular wasnt so bad

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say that the Motorola 710 is in this area and in my car useless to answer phone calls. By the time I get the loss of radio/CD and hit the button on my steering wheel the caller has be shunted off to the voice mail. I then have to call them back. Is any one having a different experience? Am I doing something wrong?

11. Bluepointvance

12. callinectes

callinectes New Member

I have used the SE t68i and Motorola V600 and both work great with my Prius. There are some differences such as sending contacts and ring types but would recommend either phone.

It is my understanding that the t68i uses two of the older GSM frequencies that are no longer being installed and the phone is no longer sold by retailers.

My Cingular rep also told me that the V600 is no longer being sold by Cingular here in NC becuase demand was not high enough... I got lucky in getting mine.

Good luck!

13. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Sorry for my inability to learn how to quote on this board. Also Danny is working on new features so I will learn later.

dennisd said something like:

"If you don't have a Bluetooth phone get one! There is no better way to have hands-free operation."

My cell phone uses Verizon and is a Kyocera 7135. This flip phone not only perches well in the Prius cupholder, but it also has a very good two-way speakerphone. I can use it while I am driving for making and getting calls, and battery life is good. Screen is very clear and also includes Palm OS 4.1 applications. Until recently I thought Mapopolis would be my only Nav system.

Just saying there are other options, especially for Verizon users.

14. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

I am hoping someone posts here about the Blackberry 7100 when
    they come out. At $199, it sounds like a heck of a deal.

Robert

15. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

My SE T616 connects and transfers fine. Only thing is, people can't understand what I'm saying. So I can't even use BT with my phone in my car, and it pisses me off. And the Toyota dealer doesn't have any idea what to try.

16. macreative

macreative New Member

Has anyone been capable of getting a Sony-Ericsson phone to Ring though the Prius instead of the Phone itself? I have heard that the V600 Moto can ring through the Prius -- but has anyone gotten the T610 or T616 to ring through the Prius???

17. Bluepointvance

18. gturtle

gturtle New Member

I finally figured out the problem I was having with my SE T637
    and I got my first incoming call, a solicitation from a mortgage
    broker. I chatted him up for a while, having fun with my new
    phone. It is one way of dealing with pesky marketeers,
    tie them up by chatting with them. How is the weather there?
    He was looking for the "homeowner" and I told him I lived
    in my car.

Oh yeah, the incoming call shut down the audio and rang.

More info on the problem I had with my T637 and how I
    fixed it if there is interest.

19. dnbinfv

dnbinfv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Nokia 6820
    Set up difficulty Easy
    Speed to connect with car ~3 SEC
    Sound Quality GOOD
    Transfer of phone book entries Single
    Prius will display SIGNAL, HOME/ROAMING
    Caller ID Yes
    Incomming call rings Both
    Transfer call from phone to car YES
    Transfer call from car to phone YES
    Additional Comments Only time I have trouble connecting is when the phone is in my bag behind my seat on the floor. It even connects easily when the phone is in the house and the car is in the driveway.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I called Motorola and they said that you need to keep the phone in the open or flipped up position so it will reliably answer the phone. Seems to work much better. They also said they were working on an software upgrade.