1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best car wash equipment?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Jan 15, 2011.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Using the clean second side isn't the issue. The issue is, after that, how do you get a clean surface? With the method I described the dirty side is folded over on itself (think of 2 pages in a book), leaving the outside surfaces (the cover of the book) of the newly formed bar clean. So each time you fold over the used surface on itself, you're putting it on the inside of the bar, and both outside surfaces are clean. If you use both outside surfaces, you'll never be able to have a clean surface after that. BTW--I didn't invent this method--it's included in the Clay Magic instructions.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Machette don't Clay....

Listen, I don't clay.

Mostly because I'm old enough to remember when most personal car owners did NOT clay. It wasn't even an option.

I can't argue that it doesn't do all that it is advertised to do. I do think it removes wax, and other small microscopic imperfections on the surface, leaving a pristine surface to re-wax and polish. If you use the process, it probably leaves a superior finish to refinish....

But my arguement is at what risk? And with how much visible difference? I don't really care that I can grab a pair of plastic bags and "feel" the surface is smoother. Really...neat...but who cares? Also, sure, if you clay you are probably removing small almost microscopic pieces of dirt...but if you park outside, or even just exist in the physical world...how long does that last? Drive through one rain storm, one dust cloud and isn't a lot of that contaminate, that wasn't really visible to the eye anyway, simply almost instantaneously returned?

I also don't particularly like the idea of a friction based process, that removes not only dirt and contaminates BUT also protective wax. You clay? You must re-wax and re-seal..and what if you miss a spot?

I clean and wash thoroughly...very thouroughly...and I keep a layer of protective wax and polish on my vehicle. I visibly cannot see any difference. When it is clean, it looks great. Now perhaps if you grabbed a plastic bag and ran your hands over the surface? You might feel some bumps....well I have nothing against speaking in braille.

To me the risk that I might not turn the clay correctly, and or I would trap a larger contaminate in the clay and "accidently" scrape the surface, and/or that I would re-wax at completion but miss a spot...makes Claying...something I'm not into.

Clayers...feel free to disagree, tell me how I'm not participating in the greatest advance in auto surface care since Turtle Wax crapped a buffer pad....

But I don't clay....

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting and fair to say. You know, I was talking to my dad and learned he used to clay his red 89 Acura Legend back in the day. He still has the car, but for the past decade the paint has been destroyed! Peeled, spotty, white. It looks like red camouflage all over the hood, roof, and trunk.

He offered me his old clay since he still has it. ... I said NO THANKS!!! This is all making me second guess claying.

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said, I can't argue that claying doesn't do, all that is advertised to do.

And ultimately, I think people are free to do whatever they want. Whatever makes them feel good about their car.

I just present my reasons for not claying...as valid or invalid as they may be....

I would say, I think if you carefully clay...and then carefully wax and re-seal...you probably aren't doing any damage to your vehicle's surface...I just think the level of benefit from a visible standpoint very debatable.

If I had a "show car" and was going for a prize? I'd clay. But if we are talking a daily driver? Not worth it to me.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I think you're absolutely on point about everything. I've always been under the impression that claying was for show cars. Detailers will tell me otherwise but this is a Prius and my daily driver. I want it to sparkle and look nice, but nobody's going to be going up to it and rubbing it (except me :D).

Don't think I'm gonna bother claying anymore. I'm sorry cycledrum. :(;)

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Again...diarrhea of the mouth.

In the old days, lawyers were paid by the word, and therefore were verbose. Given your posts, I wouldn't even give you the complement that you were a lawyer.

First, you don't have any basis for your comments. Re-wax and re-seal? What does that mean? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about on this (and most) subject(s).

Second, I've been claying my cars (most of them very expensive cars) for over 20 years with great results, and most (all?) professional detailers swear by clay bars.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, stream, for "whatever" reason you don't like me. Okay? I don't really care.

I think my post very comprehensive. Seems like at least some people thought it valid.

I invite you to show the maturity of ignoring me since you obviously for some reason seem rabid to attack me personally.

As far as Re-Wax and Re-Seal? The Clay barring process leaves you with an unwaxed...unsealed finish...or did you not know this? Therefore it is recommended you wax and/or use a paint protective sealant type of product upon completion of clay barring....??? I didn't really think that was hard to understand or up for debate regardless of what side of the fence you were on.....

My basis for comments are my personal opinion. I can respect yours...for some reason you seem incapable of respecting mine.

If you read my comments without prejudice you would of perhaps caught that I understand completely that clay barring is very popular and is supported by detailers. But that is part of my point. The average Joe.....isn't a detailer..sometimes I think a process or tool that can be useful to a detailer or professional can actually be damaging in the hands of an amateur...

I'm REALLY HAPPY if you and your EXPENSIVE cars look great after clay barring. I certainly hope you continue with a process that you seem happy with.

My Honda Fit and I? We will stick with what I'm doing.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How 'bout you call up a professional detailer and see if you can find one that pooh poohs claying. Good luck with that.

I will happily disagree with your non-claying stance. Here is why.

I purchased a brand new car, here it is, after 2 weeks, 200 miles on it.

050705 183s.JPG

I went to do the first wax on the car. I hand washed the car with Griot's Garage soap very, very thoroughly, like twice over the whole car.

IF I had not clayed the car, this would have been the result ....

put wax on applicator pad, rub onto paint, deposits bonded to the paint are mixed into the wax and show up as dirty deposit on the wax applicator ... wax applicator is effectively toast after applying wax to one small section of car. Or pour on more wax and smudge that into the next section while picking up more deposits.

How good does that sound?

Wax is the final touch on car detailing. Claying is certainly not the be all, end all for finish preparation, but it is pretty good. Hardcore enthusiasts will clay, clean and polish before waxing.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look, electric ....

Waxing or sealing is a process in which you want to prepare the surface for it, ok?

There are different ways to prepare the surface. Of course washing is essential, but if you skip claying or polishing, you are not preparing the surface as good as it could be and that depends on the condition of the car too.

If I clay the car, I'm going to wax it for sure. I would never clay, then rinse,dry the car, no way.

Some may be worried, OMG, claying may scratch the car, micro-mar the finish, etc, etc....

Poor washing can scratch or micro-mar a car's finish much more than claying could possibly do (unless grit in the clay)

Claying is at least one of those things to try, even on an older car, or in an inconspicuous spot. In regular maintenance, I don't have to clay very much, even after 5 months.

But, I'm sure as heck glad I clayed before waxing the new car yesterday.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but way, way too anecdotal. Used to clay back in the day, but past decade paint has been destroyed.

Well, yeah, maybe from being neglected for years and years. Who knows.

There are lots more ways to ruin a car's finish like using the wrong polisher the wrong way and grinding through the finish.

Look, internet debating this stuff gets tiresome. Common sense prevails. When I clay a car, I really, really don't think I'm ruining the finish. I could sense if something is going wrong like a constant friction when rubbing, that is something you don't want.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fine. I never offer my "personal" opinion with the belief or ego attached that it is the final word on what is correct.

The only thing I would offer is that people were buying automobiles, washing and waxing them before the popularity of clay barring really took off....

I realize now, for many people it is the thing to do. I stated my reasons why I don't particularly join this way of thinking.

But since clay barring is a process that leaves the finish cleaner, more contaminate free, I would not argue that if done properly and finished properly it would not leave a vehicle looking great.

I'm really old school on this. It really comes down to me, that I think there are risks inheritent to clay barring, and I have also owned and maintained vehicles to a level inwhich I have been complimented on their looks and finish after years of ownership...and I've done it without ever of clay barrred.

But if you want to? As I originally stated, I can't argue clay barring doesn't do all that it is advertised to do...

If you have always bought into clay barring? Then I think you are making the assumption as to what the results would of been had you simply washed and waxed....again, common owners...not professional detailers- have washed and waxed without clay barring for decades....

Even within your scenario which I think is perfectly valid...I would argue that wax application pads are incredibly cheap...if you want to use one for each section of your vehicle? It's still going to be cheaper than a quality clay bar set up.

You've got debates even among supporters of clay barring on things as diverse as how to handle the clay, and how or what to use as a lubricant...so the process for many average joes...is hardly defined.

For me? Risk vs. Reward doesn't seem to support a desire to Clay Bar.

But is it a process that can end with a great result? Is it a process recommended by many? Sure...and if you want to rub dirty clay all over your vehicle...Go For It Gumby!

But I bet ya, on a summer day? Just driving down the street, your car isn't going to look significantly better than mine....but I could be wrong....and I'm fine with that...

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm out of this discussion, this has just gotten stupid from dude above.

Last thing to say Mac, don't listen to crap on the internet. Ask professionals and then decide. this armchair internet stuff is a waste of fricken time, remember that.

Later.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no, no..I don't SWEAR BY NOT CLAYING, I'm more or less just saying I think most average people can wash and wax their vehicles for the life of ownership without clay barring and probably be pretty happy with the results.

Plus yes, Clay Barring is very popular right now. You can buy kits of various quality at almost any outlet...but you know? I remember when most people didn't clay bar...and the cars looked pretty good. Suddenly if you don't clay bar, you haven't broken through the veil of real car finish maintenance...

But if you want to Clay Bar, the only thing I swear is that it is your choice, and I promise not to laugh when I watch you rubbing a plastic bag all over your car to feel how smooth it is....

Clay Bar Away!

PS.

I had a 93 Accord, and the finish was far from pristine. I used NXT wax on it...after very thorough cleaning and it looked great. Does this personal experience prove anything? No. But it is possible to wash and wax and get good results without claying.

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed.

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why is the discussion stupid because someone states their opinion? From an objective standpoint I don't think Electric Me said anything to warrant the diatribe (other than I think he should buck down and just buy a Prius already ;)).

Cycledrum, "most of the crap on the internet" actually says to clay. But if you get angry at everyone who doesn't clay, well, you'd be angry at a lot of people.

I respect all of you too much in these forums to stand to see you argue like this. I appreciate all your help and understand the arguments from both sides. So thanks.

1 person likes this.
  16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Come on guys...its just clay...put your who-haas away. This was, until this junk, a very informative and helpful thread.

I'm not a huge fan of claying, it is inherently a risky process, but it is a process that is important for protecting the cars finish, but people over-clay. If you maintain your car well, you MIGHT need to clay it once a year...maybe. My cars never need clayed again after the first time, because they get washed once a week and contaminants don't have time to bond.

The risk is imbedded ferrous contaminants, like rail dust, iron fragments and dust that can get onto the paint finish, rust, and stain the paint. More an issue on lighter colored cars. Thats why I always tell people to clay new cars when beginning a car care regimen. Its also easier to wash, wax & polish a clayed car, and they stay cleaner longer.

So...I think claying has its place...but its not quite the miracle some people make it out to be.

1 person likes this.
  18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally 2nd that about claying a new car.

I may have messed up the process a little bit when I clayed, I didn't wipe up the area with a polishing cloth before moving to next area. I used plenty of quik detailer, but kept going from one section to the next. I did rinse at the end and hand washed again

So, tonight, I took a plastic sandwich bag and felt some bumpiness on the surface. Low and behold, some black dust began to break loose and be revealed, so there is still more claying to do. There was obviously a lot of stuff that fell onto the finish of this car during transport and sitting on the lot.

Like you said, once you get past the initial treatment, there is not nearly as much to do in claying to maintain it. It's just another step that is helpful in finish care.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So the risk goes both way, in claying and not claying. You run the risk of scratching with whatever the clay picks up if you're not careful and fail to fold the clay frequently, but you risk getting the contaminates staining the paint if you go for too long without claying.

I think claying once a year is enough, starting when the car is brand new. Anything more than that is overkill.

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep...I agree...