1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best cheap wheels to replace corroded OEMs?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Straussberg, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Straussberg

Straussberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, I'm new to this Prius life; my wife converted last year and loves it; saved her a ton of money with her 1.5 hour one way commute. So with gas prices through the roof, I just picked up a 2010 Prius that was a good price with some known issues; some mild body damage and the main concern right now; corroded wheels.

After a couple hundred miles driving, I don't think the wheels are going to be serviceable much longer, and none of the tire shops near me service alloy wheels. I called a place in Richmond and they said it'll be $160 each wheel to deal with the corrosion. (Heck, I can buy OEM rims from Auto Rim Shop for that much.) So should I shell out the $$$ for the OEMs, or should I just get the cheapest steel rims from Discount Tire for $71/ea... I'm just trying to get running as cheap and safe as possible.

2. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the best performers are the OE 15x6 alloy wheels. I buy used OE alloy wheels from eBay. There are quite a few available for under $100, shipping included. From doing a few for BMWs, I think $160 is an average price for refurbishment. I have a local refurbisher who keeps common wheels in stock, and will sell already-finished wheels at lower cost than working on customer wheels.

3. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, there are quite a few videos on YouTube showing ways to do the work yourself and repaint with spray cans. It won’t fix structural damage to a wheel, but if all of the problems are cosmetic, do the best you can with filler, sand, paint, and drive. The plastic wheel covers hide nearly everything.