1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best combo of options for used gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimmybucher, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jimmybucher

jimmybucher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,
    My name is jimmy and it looks as though I will be joining your ranks as a prius owner within the next 6 months. I currently drive a Mazda Miata and its great but pregnant wife means family car. I love driving a small car and the MPG so prius seems to be the perfect fit. I am a Auto Technican by trade but mainly work on german and british cars (the most unreliable). Soooo Any advice of what I should be looking for on a Gen 2 used that an owner might shy away from telling me. Im thinking Black or white. any reason why not? is the navigation worth paying for? i have an iphone that works great and a garmin.
    Im in the 10,000 price range and currently got my eyes set on 2007's and appreciate any advice you folks can give me.
    I will be reading all the other posts to educate myself as well.
    Cheers, Jimmy

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd save money where you can and just get a basic model but make damned sure if has front and rear airbags as well as side curtain airbags. Those are the most important options IMO.

The Nav and JBL system is not great. You could easily install and aftermarket unit under the factory stereo for better value, performance, and many more options like USB, iPod, Bluetooth etc. or you can remove the factory stereo and do a full double DIN nab/DVD system.

1 person likes this.
  3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used prius with nav, although around 2 grand new, on a 7 year old car it only adds a hundred or so bucks, so well worth it for something that looks great and can't be stolen if you leave your windows open. The toyota update discs should be bought, maybe not every year but every 5 years or so, they are expensive but you can find someone on craigslist selling copies for less than $30. Most people have smartphones, so the Prius nav is a great supplement to a map app on a smartphone.

A Prius with nav will have every option avail (jbl, HID headlamps, etc). Tire Pressure Monitor System and backup camera were standard on later years (06 or 07), leather became an option later on. With no moonroof avail oem or aftermarket a leather interior will get really hot in the sun, but the cloth interiors are hard to keep clean because they used colors that were too light colored. HID headlamps obviously look better than halogens but many people have problems with them and they are not projector style so they're not going to look as nice as a BMW's HID headlamps.

If I lived in the south and I were going to run one set of wheels and tires year-round and fuel economy was important to me I would buy a used Touring (2007+) as they come with much better looking 16" wheels. I think they are aluminum but its strange because they come with wheel covers which I've never seen on an aluminum wheel. A Touring will also come with HID headlamps, sportier suspension and larger rear spoiler as standard. Navigation is pretty much the only option for touring that I can think of.

But I live up north so I prefer the 15" wheels of non-touring prius which I put winter tires on which allows me to get something really big and cool for the summer, but I do have to warn you that most 17" wheels or larger will hurt your fuel economy unless you spend an absolute fortune on an ultra lightweight set.

1 person likes this.
  4. jimmybucher

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the replys guys. All this info is great

5. mikesarebetter

mikesarebetter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has nav and was from a selling point for me when i bought mine... the price was already right before i even knew it had nav. with that said and it being in my possession for about a month now i think the prius nav is absolute garbage. google navigator on my droid is superior to it in every possible way.

1 person likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html might help.

Some people complain bitterly about the factory nav system. IMHO, it's ok. I've posted my thoughts on this vs. my Garmin Nuvi 350 and 1200 before at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...want-add-navigation-system-my-2005-prius.html and http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...dvd-nav-vs-other-nav-system-2.html#post675023. Now that I no longer have a car w/no nav, I almost NEVER bring my Garmin unit along.

The big problem is that the amount Toyota charges (and carmakers in general) charge for map updates. You can buy 1-2 new Garmin GPS units for the price of a single Toyota nav DVD. :(

The JBL system is ok. It's more than decent for a stock stereo but doesn't deserve the "premium" moniker when compared to good stereos in luxury cars. The only problem w/going w/anything aftermarket, unless you do a stealth install like F8L's is that your car can become a target for break-ins. I've had a car stereo stolen (and CD wallet full of CDs too) stolen out of another car before. They busted the door lock get in.

My Prius' window was smashed and I lost a fanny pack (accidentally left on the back seat for <1 hour) while parked outside someone's house. So, I lost my Pocket PC (PDA), Jawbone headset, and new cell phone. :( There were apparently other car break-ins in that neighborhood that night. Didn't matter that it was an upper-middle class area w/a house value on Zillow Zetimate of well over >$1 million.

1 person likes this.
  7. jimmybucher

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everybody for the feedback because this info is priceless when buying a car. I have bought used cars before and later found out that the next year up was waaaay more reliable or better designed body that i had not previously noticed. I am not a fan of PREMIUM audio systems because like the bose system that came stock in my miata was not at all up to standards after ten years of use and it was quite difficult bypassing all the amps and what not. toyota and honda nav systems that i have seen, seem to be pretty good and hey if the price is right. besides the big battery pack it seems the gas engine should be pretty standard for repairs? i know the word HYBRID scares me as a mechanic but once i get into it its still just a car. so in MY price range of about 9k the mileage on my gen 2 prius will probaly be 100k or more. anything besides the obivous to look for on thier maintenance records? also I think for the price point I will be looking at 07's because of the standard curtain airbags, any reason not to go 07' or why an 08'? thanks again everybody;
    Jimmy:)

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do make sure you get one that was bought, registered and operated in CA or other eligible CARB states so that you get the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty. It's only 8 years/100K miles in non-CARB states.

Or, if it's a high mileage Prius with its HV pack changed to a new one recently, that's might be good bet.

BTW, http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html shows F8L's stealth stereo install.

1 person likes this.