1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best current aftermarket head unit for 2016 Gen 4?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FiremanNZ, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Mohibullah Mamun

Mohibullah Mamun New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm an audiophile and that's why still looking a way to translate the langue of dszt yc4t to English from Japanese. Still got no luck.
    And few days ago I bought a nakamichi 4 64 android player but I gave it back to the shop within 5 days with some damage fee and I reinstalled my dszt yc4t. The language is a bad headache. But I can't tolerate the bad sound I got from that nakamichi android player. Horrible.

If anyone can help me with the language change of dszt yc4t I'll pay them well. Looking forward a way.

2. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had these chinese units on other vehicles and they are garbage. The Seicane one for my Tundra was so bad I didn’t even install it. It had no mounting hardware and simply was designed to float in the dash plastics. Trash.

Grom V Line? Also garbage, arguably worse as they cost 4x as much as the Chinese ones. Supposedly made in Texass. Have one on my GX.

Carplay is great but frankly it’s not worth dealing with the downfalls of aftermarket garbage.

Stock head unit works just fine.

3. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    aftermarket’s definitely have their issues, from weird fittings, to unusual interfaces. The stock unit beats aftermarket’s in the look and feel of headunits. But the biggest downfall of the stock unit is sound customization. They have tweaked the unit so heavily to work with the paper cheap thin speakers. There is no equalizer on the stock unit to modify the sound. The bass is a bit heavy and the vocals and instruments are not clear. For an average user, it may not be critical but for advanced music lovers, it’s a really huge issue. Besides CarPlay, sound quality/customization is what aftermarket’s beat the stock unit. There’s double din size units are a bit smaller than the stock size but they don’t look bad with the proper adapter. Going aftermarket for quite some time, I do miss the sleekness of the stock, but the sound quality was worth the change.

4. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound quality is pretty subjective. More objectively, you are losing most of it if you are using bluetooth. The compression of data (loss of quality) in transmission over bluetooth far exceeds what you'll notice in upgrading speakers. Not worth the time or money unless you are listening to CDs, or streaming HiFi Tidal while directly plugged in.

dacoobob and MIkeDr like this.