1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best "degunker" for pre-cleaning?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Nov 4, 2015.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I wash the Prius, no matter how hard I scrub, I hate it when I find bits of bug guts that DO NOT come off and leave behind a visible residue. Even with hot water and a decent detergent.

I want something that will cut through this crud but NOT damage the paint/clearcoat.

I've used things like WD-40 when it's oil/tar related, but bug guts seem to bond to the paint over time.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found a kerosene moistened cloth with a dab of car polish good, was taking off tree sap.

DogDaze likes this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bugs and bird poop really are hard on a paint finish. When I got me car, I immediately waxed it with a clear coat wax. Because I have gone thru this before and wished I had done it when I first got other cars. Mendel Leisk's example is good, but just make sure to wax the area afterwards. A good wax will keep the stuff from penetrating the clear coat.

DogDaze likes this.
  4. DogDaze

DogDaze Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover as needed on the Prius w/no problems or issues w/the clear coat.
    It's specifically safe for Clear Coat..