1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best driving techniques for MPG

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by SamuelB, Feb 25, 2019.

1. SamuelB

SamuelB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    New v owner. First tank MPG measured was 42.7 over 298 miles. I deliver for Amazon so a lot of start stop driving making stops with 20 miles freeway driving to and from warehouses. Also drive Uber so a lot of city driving with some freeway.

Reading what I can about pulse/glide and trying to figure out what works best. Seems like it is for low speen, <40mph. What about Freeway?

Seems most recommend accelerating on inclines and coasting on declines. What about accelerating on declines, using gravity to get up to speed and coasting as much as possible on inclines using momentum. Seems like accelerating up an incline would use more gas. Does this make any sense.

Seems like a lot of posts on the subject are old. Any updated info? Can you point me to the best guide.

Thanks. Hoping to become a hypermiling pro like y'all.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check you tube for techniques. pulse and glide on side roads, lowest speed possible on highway.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if it works in the v (it should but you never know with different tuning) but "Super Highway Mode" or "Heretical" mode could help for speeds up to about 50-55mph... maybe 60mph.

It's basically holding the throttle such that the engine powers the wheels directly with little to no charge going into the battery. This way, you're using the least amount of power (and thus fuel) to power the wheels directly and move forward. Speed will change depending on terrain.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The v power train is essentially identical to the Gen 3 power train, with a 3.7 to 1 final drive, instead of 3.27 to 1.

This lowers top speed and improves low speed acceleration,; wise choices for the v.

Eco mode reduces A/C load, I use it under 85 F.

Keep the tires inflated. I use 40 F/ 38R but you will want to adjust for your situation.

Neither grill blocking nor a Engine Block Heater will do much in Orange County.

Off topic, I bought a second generic cargo mat on Ebay and use it 'backwards' over the rear seats so my gear does not fall between the seats and load floor.

I use a navishade to see the center display www.amazon.com/NaviShade-Navigation-Screen-Protector-Slots/dp/B012PK0NRW