1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Gen 3 around 15K?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by A440SPS, Nov 9, 2018.

1. A440SPS

A440SPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My goals are safety and comfort, and I have a budget around 15K. I want to get forward collision alerts and blind spot monitoring, and I'm happy to get 15-inch rims to get a better ride. I've got to have a backup camera. I drive side roads, so I'll add a donut spare if needed. The parking assist is a nice feature, as is LKA, but not a must. I don't like sunroofs, because they take head space and leak, but I like the HUD that comes with it, and I'm in New Mexico, so the solar ventilation might be nice.

I'm thinking of something like a 2012 Five (not V) with ATP. I know BSM is standard since May 2017, but I don't know if it's even available in Gen 3.

Are there significant differences in reliability issues with items like head gaskets and inverters between the various years of Gen 3?

Thanks for all the excellent info here!

--Cy--

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

don't know for sure, but i think the 14 and 15 have an upgraded egr and head gasket. someone will correct me.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same egr and head gasket is the same;).

Rings I believe were updated though so oil consumption could be reduced:).

I’d go for the best car within your budget and the options you desire(y).

bisco likes this.