1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Headlight and interior light replacements for Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TexAmi, May 23, 2016.

1. TexAmi

TexAmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Everyone,

Since the 2010-2015 prius Gen 3 production is complete, I am trying to combine all the threads on this subject. Pleas feel free to comment so we can make a complete posting of all the options.

Lighting color is person preference. Lets combine a list of proven reliable and legal options.

Exterior Lighting
    From the postings the High beam is bright enough for most owners.

There are three categories of lighting options for the low beam headlights:

Halogen H11 bulb(this is the stock bulb)- this standard bulb can be replaced in less than an hour. Youtube has several videos. You may also consider a H9 bulb replacement(this requires filing a tab on the H9bulb to match up with the H11). There may be a wiring harness/conversion ________. Here is a quick comparison of the H11 vs H9:

H11: 1,350 Lumens, @ 55 watts, runs cooler and has longer life
    H9: 2,100 Lumens, @ 65 watts, runs hotter, has shorter life (15+ months has been reported)
    Osram H9 clear bulb or Philips H9 65W OEM#12361 are both made in Germany

LED options included---------

HID/xenon-------- Juice Hybrid has a conversion kit.

Interior Lighting:

The latest lighting indoors is LEDs. The originals can be replaced with LED bulbs or a circuit board with LED's attached. Several companies offer a package deal for less that a hundred which include 2 make up mirror, 2 map, 1 dome, and one trunk; 2 license plate, 2 door, can also be included. VLEDS offers the bulb style and many others. Autolumination offers individual lights.

Exledusa offers the board type replacements where the board covers the whole light compartment.They sell a set just for the Prius. Bonus of these board type is that each light has an adjustment screw to adjust the amount of light.

If your Prius has Glove box/floorboard lights, they can be replaced with a LED from Lexus. Lexus part #81080-22040.

2. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What about parking lights. Do most people get led's or leave them stock yellow.

3. TexAmi

TexAmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am hoping many people will reply to this post w personal experience so we can compile it into one list.

4. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say (again) that factory LED light conversion is the best option. There are several topics about this subject.

I ordered a ready kit of LED replacement bulbs from eBay. It wasn't the cheapest but I'd encourage everyone to pay the price. That's usually the only possibility to get a good quality and perfect color LED replacement bulb. I have tried several different (=cheap) bulbs from eBay, they are usually too blue and/or they tend to break easily.

License plate lights can also be replaced with eBay options. I used these and I'm very happy about the brightness and color temp.
    [​IMG]

edit: Cheap parking light LED's:
    [​IMG]

Better quality LED replacements:
    [​IMG]

#4 FinToy, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    What is the brand name and model of your led parking lights?

6. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  8. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  9. FinToy

FinToy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know about the best ones, I have only managed to buy the bad ones. Now it seems good, so far. Try asking the seller, I'm pretty sure he will sell you the parking light bulbs without having to buy the whole set.

10. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Danny3xd and FinToy like this.
  11. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey there, I'm back in the forum here after taking a view years off. I changed jobs (out of company car) and have a 2014 Prius. The headlights are extremely poor for regular use and the high beams blind nearly everyone (they let me know it). There is some hazing on the exterior of the headlight assembly; maybe previous owners used one of those headlight cleaning/polishing services at a shop. Can anyone recommend a better light bulb for normal driving?

On a side note; If I understand the light operation on the prius- every headlight mode has an auto shutoff once you get out of the car and lock the door; yes? If so, it would seem that most prius owners just drive around all day with the headlights on rather than the daytime running lights. Most cars now a days do the process of the daytime running lights and headlights automatically it seems.

12. TexAmi

TexAmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Retro Fit sells replacement headlights made by Morimoto.

Toyota Prius HID Conversion Kits | The Retrofit Source

They are high quality! You will fell their quality in their construction. I made a video for retro fit

They are pretty simple to install and the results are amazing. I have had no problems and they have been installed for three years now. They will take 3-5sec to reach full illumination but it never effected my driving.

I did replace the interior bulbs with LED. I like them but they are super bright. Maybe too bright. I used the circuit board type and paid around $30 on eBay.

13. adamgoldberg

adamgoldberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is that the right link? It doesn't seem to have any products for a Gen3 Prius.