1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best HID kit brands

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Steve terry, Oct 28, 2013.

1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are standing at the front of the car, in front of the driver's headlight, look at the opened engine fuse box. There are two open terminals at the far upper left side, use a 1/4 inch female terminal on the end of your red, hot lead to connect to one of those terminals. Be careful, as they are always hot, even when the car is off. Treat them like they are the battery positive terminal.

Here is a pic, they are the terminals that have the red wires connected to them in this picture on the right. Alternatively, in the same pic, there is another place you can connect the hot lead to, which is under the removed cover in the pic, where the screwdriver is. that exposed bolt is +12v, direct from the auxiliary battery. You can put a ring terminal under that bolt, but you would need to disconnect the auxiliary battery under the rear hatch area before messing with this bolt, so the exposed terminals in the fuse block are definitely easier to use:

[​IMG]

2. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I love this forum. I never have much luck searching it so I know a lot of questions have already been asked and answered but hard for me to find. Again Thanks. I have been waiting since Nov 26 for these. The bulbs were on back order. Thing is when they were supposed to come in it was 70 degrees outside. Now I have to wait for a warm day.

3. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just went to the retrofit website to find instructions on how to install. Read that they are not selling any kits untill after Jan. 10 th because they have a much better quality ballast and harness then the old one I just got in yesterday. So Pi$$ed. Took 3 weeks to get in and now they are outdated.

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Mine's 2010 so I'm not sure if they are the same. If you open the fuse box you should find a spare slot or two with a blade sticking up which will give you full power to your lights through the relay. When you pull the fuse box lid off, turn it over and a diagram will tell you which fuses are for high beam and low beam. Connect your relay switch wire (often a white wire)by inserting the stripped end back in with the low beam fuse blade.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I upgraded my previous 2010 Prius IV, I used the xenonsupply kit because: it was affordable - about $100 at the time; it was a true plug/play setup - no messing with the fuse box. I am not mechanically skilled so I watched their video a couple of times, had my laptop in the garage and played it along with my install. Truly easy to install, took my time, just over a hour.

6. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm trying to get 55w from DDM for my 2014 Prius.

1. Anyone know if I need the bracket, hid harness, error eliminator and adaptor cable?

2. Is this kit comes with the relay?
    [​IMG]

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Posted a pic with the above terminals used for power. ;)

There are better ways to tap into a fuse than stripping a wire and jamming it into the slot, along with the fuse blade:

Mini ATM fuse tap

8. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure but if you have the money, you should look at Theretrofitsource.com
    I had a few questions and they were great about helping me pick the best setup. They said the 55 watt bulb may run hot and not last as long. I just got the 35w with XB35 (H11) super bulbs and 2 ballast, relay harness from them and it is good quality and they have exilent support. But no clue about the ones you asked about.

9. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. I am going to look at the spare slot and get the correct connector and soldering it onto the wire.

10. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I belief the error eliminator would be for the car that tells you if a bulb is out. needed to trick system to not throw bulb out light . you should have the H11 cable so you dont need the adaptor. But I am only making an uneducated guess bassed on what I had to get

11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

That's a nice solution if it cuts the circuit when the fuse blows. With my solution, once the fuse blows the circuit will cut to the relay as well. Of course you have to pick the correct side of the fuse.

12. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been running the 55w 6000k from ddm and am seeing the driverside light flickering sometimes. I swapped this out with another for the fogs I haven't installed yet and after 700 miles or so it started to flicker again.. Haven't swapped ballast from left to right yet...any others have this issue? Should I get a power relay kit for it? The stock bulbs are 55watt but it seems like a lot of you have been bypassing the factory wiring. Thanks

LG-G2 ?

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, definitely get a relay harness and bypass the OEM wiring to power your ballasts. You can try to swap the bulbs and see if the problem is with the bulb or the ballast.

SCH-I535

14. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm using 55 watt 4300k lights without relays and have had no problems for over two years and 100,000 kms. I suggest your ballast is the problem. I've had a look at DDM and I would be reluctant to buy their gear.

You should only need to bypass OEM wiring for 35 watt HIDs and even for those there are plug ins available that make the ECU think that there are 55+watt light bulbs attached.

15. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

You want to get the HID Harness.. it will prevent them from flickering is what they told me when i ordered mine.

I just got my 55w 6000k straight from China last week:cool: cant wait to install them! Ill post up some before and after pics asap.

16. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK got them installed today. No real problems except lights tucked away in tight corners. I think I spent more time getting the plastic covers off each side next to fender. So a video about putting ballast behind them. I put them on the outside where you can still see them. Zip tied in place. Wire was almost to short to reach passenger side light. Wish it was longer so I could hide wire a little better. When I first turn the lights on , it flickers for just a split second. Figure that is them firing up. Have to go out soon so will see how they look in the dark. Real test is going to work on the highway at 6 in the morning.

17. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have tried to remove the cover and it was very painful. Need to see your video to install the light properly..

Thanks

18. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't paste link but go to google and type in install hid lights in prius. Video is by xenon supply.com/Toyota-Prius-hid-xenon-package.html
    But it said to use a small Philip head screwdriver and press the clip but I had to fight it. Ended up using 2 small screwdrivers to pry 2 small clips to unhook plastic cover

19. Steve terry

Steve terry Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The lights are not the same but close. Search YouTube for retrofit install and it gives some good info. What are you having trouble with

20. yoyoman

yoyoman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have not received my hid kit yet. I was only trying to see if I can remove the cover on the driver and passenger sides. And trying to find a space to install the ballast.

Hope to speed up the installation process after getting the kit in.

So which kit did u get?