1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best hid kit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 4npower, Mar 15, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is! It is simply not as sharp as the cutoff on say an RX350 or even the FX-R projectors with clear lenses. A lot of people actually prefer the blurred cutoff. It is much less distracting. That is probably why most OE projectors don't use clear lenses. :)

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any problem with the ground wire shadow with your install? Looking at the bulb, the return ground wire is on the top and can most likely cause ground wire shadow.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, for sure. I've seen some of those and it's a really sharp line. I wonder if it can be distracting but then again, it's not often you drive around with a wall in front of you to show you the cut off lol.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but that thick band of blue color at the cutoff is broadcast onto every other object in front of the car including people. lol It is very noticeable and can be distracting.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmmmmm.............

6. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I contemplated on doing this but the idea of removing and baking my headlamps is abit unnerving. I've heard of stories of moisture somehow getting in the headlamp housing after it is resealed. This level invasiveness on a few month old car does not sit well with me.

1 mod a year is a good rule to not go broke. Otherwise I would need an intervention...Prius modder anonymous!

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if you would even have to bake them. Can the projector be removed from the back side? I've never even looked at the GenIII assembly. How sad.

8. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it is absolutely necessary to bake it. Alot of these headlamp assembly are not closed sealed with a bolt and nut design with a rubber gasket. I wished it was designed that way, it's alot easier to service

1 person likes this.
  9. issai

issai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of you who've purchased the Morimoto kit + relays for their 3rd-generation Prius, where on the Prius did you connect the positive lead of the kit? My mechanic was reluctant to complete the installation because he wasn't sure whether to hook it up directly to the 12V battery (which would require threading wiring from the front to trunk of the car), or somewhere in the front (can't be into the positive jump terminal in the fuse box, right?) What's stopping him is the relay hookup into the Prius' fusible link, which he believes, if there's a short in the HID wiring, may blow all of the Prius' fuses.

Any help would be appreciated . A close-up shot would be awesome. Thanks!

10. Here you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just reference this thread for more pics and details.

1 person likes this.
  11. issai

issai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gracias, Chief! Those pics, and that other thread, nail it.

12. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your mechanic thinks that a short will "blow all the fuses" then you need a new mechanic.

The feed should be fused between the source and the relay inputs. This fuse would protect the fusible link from blowing if there was a short in the HID system and/or relay wiring.

On a Gen 3 car with a quality HID system you should NOT need a relay set up. The car can already handle 55W of inefficient incandescent lighting, so an HID system should be no problem. Where relays are required are generally in vehicles that either do a CAN system check at start up (Chrysler, BMW, MBZ) or when the ballast is crap and draws a crazy amount if current at start up.

Buy a quality HID set and you'll have zero issues.

13. EdyJun

EdyJun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would you guys recommend 55w HID's in the stock headlight housing in the first place?

I have heard that it will generate too much heat or it will cause the light to deflect improperly. (did some research but still not sure)

Right now I have 35w HID kit from Retrofit Source thinking to upgrading to the 55w HID and bulb.

TIA

14. MPGMachine

MPGMachine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can someone confirm that (Not sure if H11 name of kit or harness?)

From the Retrofitsource (can't post URL since im a noob) as seen in Post #2 on this thread

H11 Morimoto Elite HID System
    4300K (personal pref)
    H11 Wiring Harness
    Heavy Duty Relay

is the correct item for a 2012 Prius Four? And since the 2012 have LED DRLs by the bumper I don't have to worry about flicker because of insufficient power to the ballast correct?

Thanks in advance

I don't even have the Prius yet but I want the kit to be here when I do have it!

15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been running Phillips 55 watt HIDs for about 90000kms now and hve no problems with my projectors or reflectors. I don't vouch for low quality HIDs that may buen hotter than the Phillips.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is correct.

Have you seen any test results for heat and UV for that kit? I am very skeptical they are anything even remotely as good as real Phillips OE stuff. It is more likely just a re-licensed product. Have you pulled the bowls apart for inspection?

1 person likes this.
  17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The best HID kit hands down is a retro!!!!!

All OEM HID projectors & ballasts will always out perform the pnp kits. :D

18. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you seen any test results for heat and UV for that kit? I am very skeptical they are anything even remotely as good as real Phillips OE stuff. It is more likely just a re-licensed product. Have you pulled the bowls apart for inspection?[/QUOTE]

I just pulled one of the bulbs and it has Phillips clearly and strongly printed on it. It may be licensed but, if it is, it is good quality. I've inspected the inside of the projector with a flexible viewer thingy with a light shining back through the lens and it appears pristine.

Halogen lights burn pretty hot too!

19. idesi1

idesi1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone tried their product..?

xenonsupply dot com look for toyota-prius-hid-xenon-package - ( sorry cant post url untill i post few more messages :(

I found it while searching for decent HID kit for 2012 prius. It seems they are well informed and product is not cheap. But before going for any of these just want to safe than sorry.

20. jblackwell

jblackwell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just received mine from xenon supply. I'll do a full review soon.