1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Hybrid battery replacement option

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sscherer2030, Aug 11, 2020.

1. sscherer2030

sscherer2030 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have an ‘05 Prius, showing bad battery pack; removed it removed all cells balanced and replaced a couple; the rebuilt and reinstalled. Now showing error again.

I am not wanting to go through that process of labor again so what is best replacement option for this car? Prefer new battery if possible, but obviously Toyota price on a new pack is more than the car is worth...

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles are on the vehicle?

What were the OBD2 trouble codes (DTCs) the last time you scanned, and what are you retrieving for DTCs now?

Since you're able to remove/replace, why not buy a "new" HV battery from the dealer (under 2k) and go for a DIY installation.

There are two (2) "new" aftermarket options as well, one is shipping and possibly back ordered, and the other isn't shipping as of yet.

You might also try reaching out to Steve Keith (please say hello from us here at PC) for what new (OEM) or used options they can offer :

http://phoenixhybridbatteries.com/

Call us at 602-730-4967

email us at: [email protected]

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after the oem, 'newpriusbatteries.com' $1,600.

after that, it's a crapshoot

4. sscherer2030

sscherer2030 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fairly low mileage, do you often park it in the sun with the windows up?

6. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the HV battery replaced by the dealer last year on my 05 gen 2 with about 180k miles. I don't think the aftermarket packs are worth it if it is your daily driver. I decided to take the risk calculating that it was worth putting in a new battery in if the car lasts another 3 years without many more significant repairs. YMMV