1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best insurance?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by howardbc, Jul 16, 2009.

1. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company with good Customer Service? I am shopping for new insurance after 20 years with Geico and no auto claims. In May I was hit by a drunk uninsured driver and I was infuriated that Geico put me through Voice Mail Hell and refused to connect me to a human if I didn't have my policy number!!! (I had the policy number but it was on a card that had, unbeknown to me, fallen down between my car seats.) I kept punching numbers and finally got some guy in glass replacement who took pity on me and transferred me to the correct person. But what a nightmare!
    'Seems like I've heard good things about Amica and USAA. I don't qualify for USAA so I am currently talking to Amica. Consumer Reports does ratings but they didn't have anything about car insurance ratings on their website. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've never used those. We jsut switched from Allstate to Progressive. But have never filed any claims with progressive. Loved Allstate, but it jumped up $200 from last year and we thought that was insane

3. reverai

reverai New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes..I think may want to think this over and the geico had by far the lower cost compared to any of the other insurance companies. And yes, they blew it by being silly regarding your policy number as when I changed cars recently, I didn't have my mine either but they asked me my mother's maiden name and that was good enough.

Steve

4. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had Geico in the 80s. I had non-locking wire wheel covers. Twice State Farm replaced them following a theft without a hassle within 24 hours. They got the police report and had the replacements delivered. With Geico, I had to go to the police station to get the police report. Then I had to show them my original bill of sale and a picture to show I had them. Then about 2 weeks later I had to drive 20 miles to a shady looking business in a shady part of town to pick up USED wheel covers. I switched back to SF pretty quickly and I've never looked back. Maybe Warren Buffett has it under better control now but it doesn't sound like it.

The Hartford treated me well after I got hit in a parking lot (by the car that actually got run into on the street). But I'm trying Travellers because the agent is a friend.

5. vapor8

vapor8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We've been using Liberty Mutual for over 15 years. Great service, humans on the phone and a local office I can walk into.

6. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i loved usaa but changed as their pricing in my area changed and thy were no longer competitive. usaa is an exchange, so the profits come back to the members eventually. their cust service was tops.

now we have progressive - my wife was hit (pushed more like it) by a commuter bus last week - progressive has been awesome. the online interface is great also, as is the $ you save if you can pay 6 mos at once.