1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best iPod integration for 2005 Prius? (definitely audio, maybe video)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gloftoe, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

I'm looking to get iPod integration for our '05 Prius with package 6. I've dug through the threads here in this forum, and still can't really get a handle on what would be the best buy for me. Maybe someone here can offer some advice. Here's what I'd like:

iPod integration, with support for factory audio controls, and MFD integration as well
    browsing by playlist, as well as all the other iPod functions (by artist, song, album etc.)
    charging of the iPod
    possibly video input to the MFD (that's just a bonus. I'd be nice, but not absolutely required)

It should be simple, but with all the choices I can't figure out what would be best. I appreciate any help you can offer!

2. atbarfkn

atbarfkn New Member

I have essentially the same question :

Can someone give an unbiased review and comparison of the strengths and weaknesses of the competing iPod integration devices?
    1. Vaistech SLI
    2. Dice
    3. Coastal E Tech "Ultimate LockPick"
    4. others?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VAIS will get you both audio and video at a hefty price :)

Other units will need multiple devices.

4. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 11 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]360750[/snapback]</div>
    Which VAIS kit will allow for audio and video?

5. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

Any other help out there?

6. backpackpunk

backpackpunk New Member

I purchased the Valor iPod connection through Costaletech with the ultimate lockpick and I am very disappointed in it. It could be a really great solution if it worked for more then just the 4th gen ipods and early 5th gen ones. I bought it the first week it was released and was not informed it did not work with 3rd gen iPods. I then went out and bought a 30gb video but it was one of the newer released 5th gen iPods and is also not compatible. After emailing Valor I was informed that it "may never work" with newer iPods as the system has limited upgrade capability.
    In theory I love how it works, you control the menus with a remote control and has a very similar feel as iTunes. It displays artist name, track title, album title and song length and time remaining.
    It also allows you to view video through the screen.
    As for now I still have it installed and just use my 3rd gen iPod as a hard drive and controll it through viewing files as if I would on a computer.
    I noticed another dock coming out called the iMe that will be released early 2007. http://www.imedock.com/
    I'm thinking about just getting the DLO home deluxe and mounting it in my car and getting a power converter for the cigarette lighter to power it as it appears to have the options I am looking for.

Getting back to the original point, I wouldn't get the Valor iLink unless you have a 4th gen iPod, but if you do I think it is the best solution.

*addendum* I'm not positive that the 4th gen iPod even works with iTunes with 7.0

Hope that info helps.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the DICE, largely due to price. In fact, I got my iPod because of the DICE.

By selecting D1-D4 on the MFD and using the buttons on the steering wheel you can move up and down within a playlist, between playlists, between albums and between chapters. It also displays the Title, Artist and Album on the MFD. D5 toggles between the iPod and the AUX input. I use the AUX for my portable XM radio.

There isn't much of a browse feature; by pressing the buttons on the steering wheel you move up or down one at a time. If you're trying to find a certain song in a long playlist it could take a while. If I want to go to a certain song I use the controls on the iPod. As I don't have that many songs (or playlists) it works for me. If I use the shuffle feature (on the iPod) I can skip a song by pressing a button on the steering wheel. I don't really need a video input (if I need video, I'll get a portable DVD player), but I've watched (while parked) a video on the iPod's screen while the audio came through the speakers.