1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Locations for Subwoofers In 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jarrett_gorin, Aug 13, 2007.

1. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In thinking about it, I bet the upward-facing thing causing the best sound is because of the curvature of the glass above it; it's got a nice quasi-elliptical shape putting the subwoofer sound output at one focus and (cross your fingers) the driver and passenger getting chair massages at the other!

~ dan ~

Did I forget to mention the sub box was designed for the 2001 Prius?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've played with various positions and few different enclosures and rear-firing seemed to work the best. Up towards the glass usually produces the best results in most cars but I was very undecided in this one. I have 2 seperate small boxes for each of my tens and this allows a lot of flexibility with positioning. :)

I'm going to put both 10s in today (I've been running around with just 1) and try firing them up again and see if it makes much of a difference.

I listen to a varierty of music as well and most of my testing is done with test cds (The Digital Domain, IASCA, Telarc), some well recorded latin pop (Camila), and a bass heavy reggaeton disc (Don Omar). :)

3. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the volume of the boxes for your 10"s? And what's the depth of voice coil throw?

~ dan ~

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The boxes are run of the mill probox enclosures at .75 cu.ft each. Someday I'll make a real box but these work for now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "voice coil throw". I'm assuming you mean Xmax?

Xmax = 22
    Fs = 35
    VAS = 17.5
    QTS = .53
    QES = .62
    Qms = 3.1

600watt RMS

You can find more info here: Diamond Audio Tech sheets D910D4 is the model

5. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes; I have no technical knowledge of magnetic coil movement measurement terminology. Now that I think about it, I don't like that. *reads up*

just spent two hours browsing, then got side-tracked on wikipedia. I couldn't find it, but I'm assuming this will communicate my question better:

Just like a piston, it has an excursion.

That was the word I was looking for.

~ dan ~

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries. I don't get too into the technical stuff either. I find it better to simply listen and buy what you like. :)

Generally speaking when looking at subwoofers one will first look at Xmax which is the linear excursion of a speaker and along with diameter will tell you how much air the subwoofer is capable of moving (displacement). Obviously that is just one parameter and does not dictate whether the sub will sound good or not. :) I'm still not sure exactly what you are asking for but I did link you to the spec sheet for more info in hopes you could find it there.

I agree that you do not require a ton of bass to sound good. In fact for the SQ portion of the old IASCA sound competitions, people would generally turn their subs way down so the sub-bass didn't overwhelm the rest of the system and unbalance it. :) That being said, I still like to pound sometimes. :D

Does your license plate still rattle? I ended up using silicone on mine. lol

7. fruzzetti

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah; I'm thinking about using rubber stick-on feet. Here's the damage:

[​IMG]

~ dan ~

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch :(

I put a thick bead of clear silicone on the raised edges of the license plate and allowed it to dry then bolted it back on. Worked great considering we only have 2 bolt holes to hold the thing on the car. :)