1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best lock for charging cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Eug, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I don't have a garage (or more accurately, it was converted into a home theatre), so I charge the car on my driveway.

Also, I charge my car at my workplace's parking lot.

To protect this $1200 cable, I have a cheap luggage type combination lock on it, but it's... well... cheap. I'm afraid the elements (rain/snow) will damage it and one of these days I won't be able to remove the lock without cutting it off. Any better built locks that will fit? I do see a few out there that take keys, but they also look pretty cheap.

Alternatively a lock that uses a cord would work.

I'm not interested in something super secure necessarily, just something to thwart the casual thief, and something that won't break down after a month in the elements.

BTW, I think it might be prudent to carry a wire cutter in the car, just in case this lock gets stuck. This is the lock:

0461271_1.jpg

2. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are a bunch of posts on this. One of my favorites is to use a longer skinny lock on the cable itself, then use a cable lock through that to whatever.

Another is to drive onto the cable. If you don't like doing that to the cable you could cut a slot or two in a stick and drive onto the stick.

When using a (beefy) extension cord I have considered connecting inside the car and running the cables through a window (I have rain deflectors). Probably too much trouble.

Eug likes this.
  3. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I just saw this on a Leaf site.

EVSE-lock-via-Franck-7.jpg

Brilliant. It protects the charger from the elements and keeps it clean. All you have to do is put the extension cord's end there. You then lightly close the trunk but not all the way, so it locks but doesn't crimp the cable. I'll have to see if that works on the Prius.

In my case that idea works for me because at home I have to use an extension cord (12AWG) anyway. Unfortunately, in the winter that means the car would get cold really quickly though.

#3 Eug, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a good lock around the cable and door handle should suffice, and easy on and off.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    How would you lock the cable? Do you mean putting a small cable lock in the hold on the cable handle, and then putting a second lock around the door handle and through the cable lock?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, they can't take the cable because neither end will slide through a bicycle lock.

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Do you mean something like this?
    image_16288.jpg

I guess that would work and would be more secure, but I'm slightly worried it'd scratch up the door panel over time.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, perhaps i'm theorizing incorrectly. i'm thinking just a padlock around the cable and door handle. does that make any sense?

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    This won't work. I just tried it. It kinks the cable too much for my liking and I can't lock the door anyway as the car just beeps at me for the trunk being ajar because I haven't closed it all the way (just the first "click").

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well the 2013+ Leafs (including mine) have an electronic lock inside the charge port. You press a button in the car or on the fob and it either locks it forever until the switched is turned off or in "Auto" mode it keeps it locked until done charging (public charging option). Perhaps find a crashed Leaf and swap the charge ports. Should be a very simple 12v solenoid in there that with a button press will lock it into place. The worst the vandal could do is unplug from your house outlet (plug in inside and route under garage door, or go through a lockable exterior outlet cover) and then the rest of the cord would be tethered to the car.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is correct. However, it prevents the "casual thief" as you wanted. It doesn't prevent someone from hacking away to get the cord but it does prevent someone from walking past and trying to unplug it quickly. It doesn't move, they go away.

I have also seen someone put the EVSE under the hood and just the house-side end was available. The thief would need to pop your hood to get your EVSE that way. Also not unstoppable, but more than good enough for the casual thief. In the PiP with the side port, that probably would work well stock...

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how would you get the j from under the hood to the charge port?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anyway, this will all be solved soon enough when we can refill in a few minutes like gaso.