1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best LRR Tires (for So Cal)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrolens, May 12, 2014.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, what would be some good LRR tires for use in Southern California (little rain, no snow)?

I'm driving a 2005 Gen II Prius btw.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bridgestone Ecopia 422, Michelin Energy Saver A/S, Continental Contact Pro. Just a few that come to my mind. I had the Energy Saver A/S on our Gen II. I loved them. Great traction, REAL quiet on the highway. Great MPG. Expensive but worth every penny. Budget low, check out the Ecopia's.

Ron (dorunron)

ijim2011 likes this.
  3. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.

How about Yokohama AVID Ascend? Very reasonably priced on tirerack.com.

Also, is there another good website to buy tires from? Amazon?

4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can anyone weigh in with any wisdom about my last post?

5. ijim2011

ijim2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ecopias are great!! I recently took my chances with an unproven lsr tire and it didn't work out well.

iPad ?

6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How good are the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max?

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another happy 422 owner here:)

8. Warp4

Warp4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ecopia ep20, original equipment, only 7000 miles but no dislikes so far

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ ep20 are good for rolling resistance, but unfortunately only come in 195/65R15. The OP is second gen, slightly smaller size.

10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I am going to ask one more time about the Yokohama AVID Ascends (T-Speed Rated), because from what I've read, they are a great value. In an effort to add value to the discussion, here is a summary of what I've gleaned thus far about these tires.

Pros:
    1. On Tire Rack.com, they are slightly less expensive than the Ecopia 422's.
    2. They are reputed to have amazing treadwear properties. Unlike the 422s, which some people have reported as wearing out at around 35k-40k miles. These Yokohamas have a 5 year/85,000 mile treadwear warranty.
    3. Rated as having great noise properties.
    4. Great handling and comfort properties.
    5. Supposedly give very good to great MPG. As good as Michelin Energy Savers? Not enough data (especially from the trusted people on this board).
    6. Supposedly are environmentally manufactured, and made in the USA. They use orange oil in the tires too, which is supposed to be very new technology and environmentally friendly too.
    7. Here's a fairly glowing review of them on About.com:
    Yokohama Avid Ascend Tire Review
    8. On TireRack, they are the 2nd highest Customer rated LRR tire, behind the Defender (which I've also read isn't really great as an LRR tire. And is also around 50% more expensive than these Yokohamas).

Cons:
    1. According to TireRack's test, they are an average performer in wet conditions. But subsequent user ratings refute this. (And I'm in SoCal where rain is not copious).
    2. Less popular. There simply aren't as many ratings of these tires as the others; there are only 33 ratings on Tire Rack. This is the main reason why I hesitate to get them.

So, again... WHAT AM I MISSING? Why haven't more people tried these? Their reputed durability alone for an LRR tire puts them in a superior light.

Very interested to hear any insight anyone has on these tires!

11. JudgeDoug

JudgeDoug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am going to put a set Yokohama AVID Ascends (T-Speed Rated) on my 06 Gen II tomorrow; OTD price $469.72 including 4 TPMS Kits at Big-O tire-7500 North Pecos, Denver CO 80221. We'll see how they hold up.

12. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JudgeDoug,
    How are the Yokohama AVIDs working out? I have Arizonians that came with my 2005 (used auto purchase), but the tread is reading 3/32, and I want to change them now. I'm also in Denver (80246).
    Thanks in advance.
    DenToyPri05

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have Costco membership, it will be hard to beat, esp when the total costs are compared:
    • 4 tires
    • install fee (which includes road hazard warranty for life of tire/5 years)
    • lifetime balance/rotation (life of tire/5 years)
    • $70 off set of 4 Michelins (next month will probably be Bridgestone, and so on)
    • I've passed on the TPMS rebuild (no problems so far, and on 3rd set of tires).
    Consider adding your location to your profile (So California or go more specific if you aren't privacy paranoid) vs listing it in a post. Simplifies things, esp if you should inquire about a good independent mechanic near your location.

14. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Given your area, shouldn't you have snow tires (for winter) vs an all season that will suck in snow?

15. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, a chunk of rubber was recently gouged from the sidewall of one of my 2005 Gen 2's Michelin Energy Saver AS tires. Likely from a curb during parking. There is no puncture/leakage, but I can see the underlying cording, so I'm going to go ahead and assume a repair is unwise/impossible.

Two questions:
    1. The Michelin set has 40,000 miles on them, installed mid-2014. Time for a new set of four? Or should I consider replacing just the damaged one? I estimate there's likely around 15-20k of tread life left on this set.

2. What are the latest LRR tires I should consider? I've been very happy with the Michelins, but I can't seem to find them for sale anymore. In the past I considered Bridgestone Ecopias and Yokohama Avid Ascends before going with the Michelins, but was wondering what people now would recommend.

16. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This week marks two years and 34k miles since I put the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus on our Prius and we've been extremely satisfied with them. They show very little wear and have been great driving them from coast to coast. They handled some really heavy downpours in Asheville, NC and have been excellent in the 110*+ heat of the Mojave Desert that I drive often.

I just put the Yokohama Avid Ascend on our 2007 Yaris yesterday. I haven't had a chance to drive them yet. If it has a bearing on your decision, though, there's a $50 rebate available until the end of the month on them.

#16 srellim234, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Metrolens likes this.
  17. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any word on the Michelin Defender T + H?

How about Continental TrueContacts?

18. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't have any direct experience or any friends with those two tires so someone else will have to weigh in on them. Sorry.

19. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have it narrowed down, I think, to three LRR options:

1. Yokohama Avid Ascend (T-Speed Rated) - Highly rated, there is a $50 rebate now (as Srellim mentioned) that makes these very attractive and the least expensive option. Good Prius specific reviews.

2. Continental TrueContacts - Very highly rated, middle price option, but I've read a bunch of mixed Prius-specific reviews; mostly that they reduce MPG.

3. Michelin T+S - most expensive of these options; ~$140 more for the set than the Yokohamas above. Very highly rated, but no Prius specific feedback that I can find.

Any thoughts on these choices? Others to consider?

20. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd go with the Yokohamas. As you point out, good Prius specific reviews and the lowest price. The very long tread life projection doesn't hurt, either.

Metrolens likes this.