1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best lumbar support ever!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. c4

c4 Active Member

Well, I ordered one of the Magellan mesh lumbar supports and it's very comfortable, and on hot days, the mesh allows cool air flow behind your back, which is very nice, but unfortunately, IMO, it's not the right solution for the Prius (at least my Classic Prius). The support is still great, and I'm keeping it for my office chair; I just can't use it in the car as a driver's seat support (it would be fine for the passenger seat though)

The reasons that I find the support unsuitable for use on the driver's seat in the car are:
    1) the sides of the frame in the lumbar support project 6" from the seat back, which really makes getting in/out of the car more difficult.
    2) the centre of the support is about 3" out from the seat back, which basically means that effectively, your seat has been moved forward 3". You can move the seat back 3" to compensate, but because the support only covers the lower part of the seat back, the upper part is now too far back and the steering wheel is too far away unless I lean forward when I drive, which is fatiguing and has safety implications..

Tadashi- if you do end up ordering the full-seat-back support, let us know how you find it- having full support all the way up the seat back vs. just down at the bottom may make the difference...

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have been using the mesh support for about 1 week and it is great. It gives just enough support and does not fall down like a pillow. I also have the water proof gt seat covers which does not breath very well so my back gets really hot and sweaty. This fixes the problem.

4. Cattmatt

Cattmatt Junior Member

Hi all.

I got an ObusForme inflatable lumbar cushion and that has done wonders, but the seat bottom is also problematic for me...I get a deep pain in the back of my right thigh after not much time, and I think it's due to (1) the stiffness of the seat (compared to an '03 Camry) and (2) there is a hard bit of structure at the front edge of the seat, not too deep under the padding, and it lines up with the tender spot. Sure wish I could adjust the seat tilt, like on the Camry...

I'm trying varying thicknesses of soft fabric under my butt, and that helps a bit. My local dealer has suggested contacting a fellow who does their warrantee seat work, and he claims to be successful at removing the seat cover, taking out foam here, putting more foam there, and when all feels right he replaces the cover. Price range of $150 to $500, since he works by the hour. I'm a bit hesitant due to the possibility of this becoming an expensive wild goose chase.

Has anyone tried this solution before? Can it work? Do you think the structural cross piece can be lowered at all? Any advice is appreciated!

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the great tip on these. I knew from my quick test-drive that I'd need something similar, and this looks to be just the ticket!

Ordered two. :)

6. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW, the local CVS has the same mesh supports at 2 for $10! I bought one but felt the elastic dug into the side bolsters too much and would wrinkle them permanently or damage the foam underneat to the point it would stay sunken in. So I just had it floating off the seat for a while, but then it would rock sideways while I turned.

Eventually I tried a bath pillow from Bed bath and beyond for 9.95 and that fit perfectly within the center of the seat and stays on with just my seat covers holding it in place. Look for my thread about the clazzio seat covers. I use the mesh support on my office chair now.

7. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone figure out a long-term solution that seems to work?

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A small rolled-up towel has worked for me for 7+ years.

9. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, done the towel deal, but hate having to place something and then move it around while driving because my body tends to shift a little on my 1 hour journey to and from work.