1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Maintenance Practices (beyond just oil change, filters, etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by em7145, Jul 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. em7145

em7145 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Prius friends,

Short Version: Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive outline of best maintenance practices over the life of Prius (beyond just oil changes) so I can take really good care of it but not get totally fleeced by the dealership or other mechanics?

Longer Version: I have a 2017 Prius that just hit 50k and it needs an oil change. The Toyota extended maintenance package recently ran out so pretty much all the maintenance has been covered up to now.

Not remembering the maintenance schedule, I asked the dealership what the 50k service looks like and was told it would be about $1200. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I got more details and part of that is tires and alignment (which are needed but I will do that at Discount Tires thank you very much). Part of it is an oil change which is also needed ($115 +tax). But there is a lot of other stuff in there that’s not in the manual, oh and by the way, there is no recommended 50k service for a Prius. Their “bigger” services are on 30k intervals! The whole thing felt very fishy.

I am in Seattle (moved here a few months before the pandemic so I don’t have a “go to” shop like I would back home) but I emailed two local, independent shops with good online ratings, gave them a quick summary of what I was looking for but wasn’t totally sold on either place (however both agreed though that it shouldn’t need much beyond an oil change).

In any case, I feel like I need to have a better understanding of what it needs… One, so I can budget and plan for it. Two, so I’m not at their mercy. So does anyone have/know of any good resources on what’s actually needed beyond just oil changes, filters, and tire rotations? I know it varies if cars are driven under more intense conditions but I drive it less 10k/yr, it’s mostly easy city/highway driving, no dusty roads/extreme heat etc, and I have been told by multiple mechanics that my brake pads say I am very gentle driver (ie, this is not a hard driven racing Prius ;)). This is what I was able to find/compile but I’m sure it’s incomplete. Any adjustments, additions, deletions that you would make:

Basic Maintenance:
    - Every 30k or 6 months: Top off fluids, general inspection. Oil change.
    - Every 30k: Replace cabin, engine, and oil filters, rotate tires.
    - New tires + alignment: 30-70k, depending on tire mileage/wear.
    - Brake Pads: 30-40k???​

Consumer Reports Recommendation: Every 2-4 Years:
    - Drain and Flush the Cooling System
    - Change the Automatic-Transmission Fluid
    - Replace the Drive Belts and Hoses
    - Change the Timing Belt​

Local Unnamed Toyota Dealer Recommendations:
    - Brake System Flush (every 3-5 years) $255.99+tax
    - Electronic Fuel Injection Service (every 30K miles) $199.99+tax

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OCI on the gen 4 is 10,000 miles or once a year now that it's gone full synthetic.

Your brake pads will last (or should last) more than 40,000 miles. Most of the braking is done via regen. I'm only at 25,000 miles but my Prime's front pads are at 75% and the rear at 90% life left. Our Gen 2's brake pads were never changed over the 150,000 miles we had it in service.

I believe Toyota's first coolant change is at 100,000 miles then something like every 50 or 60,000 miles thereafter.

The AT fluid change is a good idea even though Toyota doesn't explicitly recommend it. There are members here who have done a fluid analysis and recommend a change as part of preventative maintenance

No drive belts/hoses to replace

no timing belt to replace

Brake Service is not a bad idea, especially in the PNW where it's more humid. Toyota Canada has a Brake Service starting at 40,000 miles and every 20,000 miles thereafter IIRC.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm at 75k and haven't done anything beyond the toyota maintenance schedule. i suggest you do the same, and possibly consider the tranny fluid as tide mentions above, if you are going to keep it beyond 150k.
    we see very few tranny failures here.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Remembering the recommendation for Gen 3 (which specifies a 0W-20 oil that I never found available in any form other than full synthetic) it was 10,000 miles or once a year if you have none of the special driving conditions described in the warranty and maintenance guide. If your driving involves any of those special conditions (mine does, for example), then it is 5,000 miles or 6 months. You're on the honor system to evaluate your driving conditions and put yourself in the right category.

Has Gen 4 really done away with the special-conditions category?

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all in the Service Manual which came with the car - or you can get on line from TOYOTA USA website for free.

Interesting, @Tideland Prius said "I'm only at 25,000 miles but my Prime's front pads are at 75% and the rear at 90% life left."

At 30.000km the dealer told me the same. I asked again at 50,000 - they gave me the same figure. If I have a look - they look like new at 65,000km. I don't expect to ever change them.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely. Again, our Gen 2 lasted 245,000km before the HV battery died and we never changed the brake pads (granted they were somewhere in the realm of 10-15% life left so they would've needed a swap fairly soon).

I can't compare my Gen 3 since I regularly drove it across several mountain ranges so its pads were worn faster.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    curious what dealership you went to. We purchased our 2020 at Heartland in Bremerton, and did our first 6 month service (grand total of 1,000-1,500 miles driven) at Toyota of Seattle. They seemed competent but I could see how they’d be over inclusive in what they do. Since it is free to me I didn’t care, but didn’t really see the need for both an oil change and a tire rotation at this low mileage (if it were on my dime I’d wait until the year mark). They also replaced the windshield wipers without me asking, and billed Toyota.

I did like their free pickup and drop off service… that’s something I’ve never experienced before even with the various luxury makes we’ve owned (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Acura, Cadillac).

8. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I personally like to change fluids every 30k miles (besides oil). I just did them all last month and had a dealer do it just because I want it done right and some of these need access to Techstream to do it properly such as brake fluid and inverter coolant change. There are ways to do it without Techstream but I don't have the ability to do it myself and I doubt a regular shop would go through the trouble of doing it if I gave them instructions.

I do oil changes and oil filters every 5k miles as well as tire rotation and alignments, just because I have lifetime rotation and alignments at a local shop. These are the only services I don't do at Toyota just because they are simple and not that technical.

Engine air filters at 10k miles and cabin air filters at 15k. They aren't that dirty but realistically I'm spending about $40 to do both and its really like once a year. So minimal.

As for the fluids I did at 30k (besides oil change):

Brake fluid
    Transmission fluid
    Rear motor fluid (mine is AWD)
    Engine coolant
    Inverter coolant

These were all just drain and fills. I believe each were just an hour labor plus the cost of the fluids. You can bring your own and just pay labor (depending on the dealer I guess as some don't allow you to use you own). I used all my own fluids except for the coolant. I had them use theirs when they did the changes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend at work has a son-in-law who's a master technician at a local Toyota. I got to sit down with him asked him everything and made notes:

-Oil/Oil filter every 6 months
    -Engine Air Filter: Check every 6 months and replace if dirty (hold it up to the sun)
    -Cabin Air Filter: Replace once a year and the carbon-activated are the best to get
    -Transfer case (automatic transmission) Every 60,000 miles or every 6-years. It's almost as easy as changing your oil (no pan to remove or filter to replace.) USE ONLY TOYOTA ATF WS (World Standard) in the transmission and the rear differential (for Prius' with AWD, like mine)
    -Rear Differential Case: Change every 3-years or 30,000 miles
    -Car Gasoline: 87 is fine AND he said to check your gas station you regularly go to see ensure they have "Top Tier" gasoline...you can search for them on the internet. (We have a 7-11 with Conoco gas and it's Top Tier) Never get gas at one of those Mom&Pop no-name places...one tank of bad gas can do a lot of harm.
    -Toyota Radiator Coolant: 100,000 or every 5 years then every 50,000 or 5-years and ONLY use the Toyota brand.
    -Hybrid Coolant: Change it at the same time you change out the radiator...uses the same Toyota coolant.
    -Hybrid Batter Air Filter: The access door is located on the right passenger side. There's cloth-like filter you can clean out and he said to also shine a light at the round air blower and inspect to ensure the fins aren't all clogged up....you can vacuum the crud out if it stuff like pet hair in there. Do this yearly or more often if you have animals who ride back there. (And never clog up that vent with anything...heat is the biggest killer of our EV batteries.)
    Spark Plugs: Replace when the car is warm, not hot or cold, so they come out easier. Replace only with Iridium every 100,000 miles or 10 years. (Never put anything on the new plugs like anti-seize lube.)
    -Brakes: Our hybrids have a special system on our brakes that generates electricity when we hit the brakes so our brake pads last a very, very long time but replacing them is the same as any other car, just need to not mess with anything down there that's not in the calipers. (And I've always replaced rotors with my brake pads...never had any issues doing that.) I've done lots of brake jobs on cars but never a hybrid so waiting for my wife's 2017 to need her pads changed...not even close to ready yet.
    -Fuel Injector Cleaner/Maintenance. He said if you are going to Top Tier gas stations, running a tank of high-test gas a few times a year will do the same thing as having the Toyota service done...will clean out those injectors. (And flooring the gas on your car once a month or so does help blow out the built up crud in any engine/exhaust, even in a hybrid...just get it warmed up to operating temperature first.)

He did mention that hybrid cars that aren't driven much seem to develop battery problems sooner...so if you're car isn't driving much, take it on a 1-2 hour drive at least a few times a month to keep everything happy.

hicks81, thomassster and jteran5 like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota USA “seems” to recommend a more in-depth brake inspection every 3 years or 30k miles, whichever comes first.

Their wording is vague though, and it seems like both dealerships and owners enable each other, in ignoring it. I’d speculate dealerships don’t like it doing it, and owners are happy to dodge an expense. So we hear “my pads still have lots of life”. Only problem, there’s more to it. And for DIY’rs, and third party pros, it IS easy to screw them up, the rears in particular.

OP should just crack the warranty and maintenance booklet, see what’s involved according to Toyota, get back in the maintenance drivers seat.

AND…, look into the worthwhile extras Toyota USA keeps shtumph (sic) about:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation and intake manifold cleaning

Periodic brake fluid replacement (recommended by Toyota Canada tri-yearly or 48K kms)

Transaxle fluid replacement

Throttle body cleaning

Also consider an oil catch can install. And a 5k miles or 6 month oil change interval.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Tideland Prius and jteran5 like this.
  11. buenavides1

buenavides1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget about tire mounting. Making sure that the wheels and tires are balanced is important. The wheel alignment interval can vary considerably depending on the type of vehicle you have, your driving habits, and other factors.

Another thing will be putting air in the tires, I check my tires monthly to make sure they are inflated to the proper pressure.

12. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So true...I forgot about tires! We buy at Discount Tires so get free rotations and balance checks which we do yearly.

buenavides1 and krmcg like this.
  13. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I never owned a gen 3, just a gen 2 and gen 4. What is the EGR maintenance?

14. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main EGR problems with the Prius seems to be for the years 2010-2015. It can cause heavy vibration when the gas engine is running. (Can also throw a code if it gets worst.) The EGR helps recycle the exhaust gas from the exhaust and recycles it, but cools it first. So the valve in the EGR can start sticking. If it sticks open it can actually kill the engine from running. (2nd Gen Camry Hybrid has the same EGR issues.) I haven't heard of any EGR issues for any other years. My wife has a 2017 and haven't had any issues. I do run a tank of high-test gas (and we fill up at a Top Tier station) so that's supposed to help clean out injectors and stuff in there, hopefully also the EGR valve!
    There are videos out there on how to clean it out yourself but, for me, if it ain't broke I don't fix it....just watch out for signs of a problem.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring