1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best method for replacing hood latch cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Banksy, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So my hood latch cable broke
    Went to a pic n pull yard and grabbed one in good condition.

What's the most efficient way to change it doing it yourself?

I've seen a few posts about this, but figured I'd ask and see what others have done.

Can I just partially pull out the old cable and tape the new one to the old one and snake it though?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one???

3. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hey Bisco I got it

For anyone wondering in the future the best way to do this...

Jack up the car on the divers side

Remove wheel
    Remove the lining inside the fender

There will be one retaining clip that also holds some other wires. Undo it by sliding it left until the clip is undone.

You will be able to see a black ring/gasket where the cable runs through. Pry off GENTLY and slide off by the slit in the gasket.

Under the dash on the driver's side there will be a white plastics piece attached to the hood latch release where the cable is clipped in. Slide the cable to the left and remove it from the plastic.

Pull up the hood release and remove the end of the cable. Take care to note the notch on the release that the end of the cable is slid into.

Push the end that's in the notch until it comes free and remove the end of the cable.

There will be a black plastic ring on the old cable cut it off

There will also be a rubber gasket that helps seal against moisture cut it off as well.

You new cable should have both these. Do not remove them.

The rubber piece should be pressed against the end of the plastic ring. Keep it there.

Take the end of your new cable with the metal ball on it and tape it around the end of the old one you just removed from the latch. Make sure it's taped very well and tight. If you have a zip tie stop tie it before you take it. Try to keep the thickness to a minimum.

After your ends are taped together, go back to the fender and pull the cable from where you removed the gasket off until the cable is through the hole.

If you think the tape is going to give way push it back through and tape it again or use your finger and try to feel for the end of the cable then use needle nose pliers grab the cable and pull it though

After the cable is through, route the cable to the hood latch. I'd suggest taking note of how it was before you removed it.

After you have it in, clip it into the notch in the hood latch, clip the cable back into the fender

Make sure the match is unlocked and then take the end inside the divers side and clip it back into the white plastic clip you removed the old one from.
    After this pull the end of the cable and get enough slack to slide it though the notch in the hood release and get the end back into the retainer you pushed it out of.

Congratulations you now have a working hood latch again :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, nice write up and well done banksy!(y)

5. kpkpkp

kpkpkp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I followed these directions and it worked. Getting the grommet/gasket to correctly seat into the firewall was near-impossible. Thanks!

Banksy likes this.