1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Michelin tire to replace the OEMs with?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Danny, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Unigeezer.

Yes, could be that they've changed the formulation of the Hydroedge since the Consumer Reports' test in 2005.

Don't know. But offhand I guess I'm more inclined to believe the Consumer Reports' tests than an oral statement by a Michelin rep.

I wish tire manufacturers were required to state the rolling resistance (determined by a uniform testing protocol) of each tire they sell.

Or I wish that California would wrap up and reveal the results of their rolling resistance tests of over 100 tires sold in California, or that the Federal government would test the rolling resistance of tires sold in the US.

2. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking at the consumer report, i seems that the Yokohama Avid TRZ is a great tire and has both the highest rating for LRR (Excellent) and the first one down from the top to get the best treadwear of "very good".

3. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I decided to go with the Michelin X radial. It's rated higher than the hydroedge and others in that consumer report, so I went across the street to the Costco, bought a 1 year business membership ($50) then paid a total of $423 for all four new X radials, in 185/65-15. I wanted to stay with the size it came with, plus it's lighter than the 195's and won't affect my speedo accuracy. The price included tax, installation, valve stems, lifetime balance/rotation..etc, plus an instant $60 rebate...which was only good until this Sunday! Great price and great tire IMO.:)

4. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my second tire blowout with my OEM integrities, so instead of fixing the tire, I decided to replace the whole set. I wanted to get the Michelin Primacy MXV4's. first I called Costco and they said that I could get them for $99.00 but they would have to be ordered. I didn't want to wait. I then called America's Tire and they said that they would get them for me to have them installed today. They also said that they would give them to me at the Costco price. As it turns out, They could only get the 195's today, so I ended up getting the 195's for $99.00 each.

Now for the ride: What a difference!! Better handling, better braking, and much less road noise too. Though I've hear that I may take a 1-3 mpg hit, the better handling, lower road noise, etc., more than makes up for that as I drive well over 140 miles every day and the added comfort and safety is a major plus.

Great deal ... great tires. I'm very happy with the purchase.

5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just wanted to post an update real quick on my Michelin Harmony tires for anyone who cares.

Replaced the integrities at 76,000 miles with Michelin Harmony 195/60 15's on Ema and now have about 160,000 miles on her. I drive a lot for work so that is why the incrapities lasted so long and why the harmony's will too.

Anyway, for fun I measured the tread depth at 7/32" the whole way around the tires so even and sloooowwwww wear going on. I expect these to get me to 200,000 miles without to much trouble.

So, if anyone out there is looking for a high wear, all season, non-directional (sorry hydroedge) tire I have no qualms recommending the Harmony's.

Happy driving,
    Chris

6. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chris, Was the a gain or loss in the mileage between those tires?
    Thanks

7. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Boppo,

As seemingly with all new tires there was an initial loss which quickly disappeared after a few hundred miles or so. They don't have as low as RR as the incrappities but I have seen the same MPG or even better the last 70,000 miles or so.

I also rotate at every 5,000 mile oil change and have an alignment done every 20,000 miles. That might be overkill to some but I'd like to see if I can get 150K out of the Harmonies, LOL.

Chris

8. fstickel

fstickel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Danny, Consider the Michelin Harmony 195 tires. They are a bidirectional type tire and will give you less problems after a rotation. Hydroedges are very directional and still make a roaring sound after 3000 miles on my wifes car.

I'm running 42/40 and did take 2 mpg hit, but the car's handling difference was well worth it. Price was cheaper also.

9. HelpSaveMotherEarth

HelpSaveMotherEarth New Member

Model:
    IV
    ask you dealer for the best ones...

10. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What about the Energy Saver A/S? It is relatively new, but Michelain is claiming:

I haven't seen any comments here about these - but..................

11. toddwking

toddwking Average Joe

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hurumph. Before this thread, I thought there was no comparing to the Michelin X-Radial sold by Costco in terms of cost, all-weather performance, fuel savings, etc. However, I noticed these new tires and am thinking if they can even achieve a 5% improvement in fuel savings over the X-Radials (they say "up to 8%"), then we're talking 2-3mpg, over 10k miles per year, for 8 years = roughly 100 gallons x roughly $4/gallon = $400. If the performance is anywhere close, it would definitely pay off.

12. TheDrGene

TheDrGene Beard and Sandals Group

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went to Costco today and they had the Primacy tires at a good price in the 195/60/15 size. They absolutely refused to mount them because they are ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the original tire.

They claimed liability issues. Since my old tires were past the wear bars, I decided to go with the Radial X in the standard size. Handling was truly horrible on the way home. I even stopped to have the alignment checked and the toe-in was off a smidge.

When I got home and checked the pressure, Costco had the left side tires at 36 pounds and the right side at 32 pounds. Hmmm, that might contribute to a bit of pulling to the right. Oops. Their paperwork said 35 fronts and 33 rears.

So, no matter where you go it pays to double check when you get home!

13. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This was an old thread that I resurrected to post about my experiences with the Harmonies. Since there are DOZENS of tire threads out there I picked this one because it is specifically about Michelin and I had posted in it before.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S appears to be a very good tire and depending on what I learn over the next year will probably be my next tire to replace the Harmonies. It simply was not released yet when this thread was originated.

Happy driving,
    Chris

14. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Picked up a nail yesterday in one of my worn-out OEMs and so went to Costco and had two Michelin Energy's put on (they didn't have 4), the other 2 should be in by Friday. So, we'll see how that affects my mpg, ride, and handling. I expect they will be a vast improvement over the Goodyears, at least in handling and treadwear. The Goodyears were toast after 34k.

15. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found the Hydroedge 185s for $580 and 195s for $548. Both prices are out the door. Good deal?

16. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costco prices are $540 + sales tax where it applies. Then they are offering a $70 gift card rebate on any Michelin full set purchase. The price for the A/S Energy Savers is $4 more but those tires do not include a treadwear warranty from what I could see on the Costco website.

17. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are right. $543.96

18. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Get the Nokia tire . I got them and after a little breakin my milage went up. These tires are great in the snow and wet weather . I did not get the snow tire but the all season radials. It's a little difficult to find them but when you do you'll be glad that you got them.
    FishHawk

19. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good information all. I have an 06 with 68k on and have already replaced one set of Integ's at 35k miles (with OEM's :>( ) running stock pressures - sorry, didn't know any better. I had a set of Harmony's installed at 43,00 and they are still in great shape. However, the first replacement set is now ready for a set AGAIN! Since I already have stock size Harmony's on the rear, can I run a set of the 195/60's front or rear until the other set needs replacement. In other words, can I run two different size tires on the care at the same time? Thanks

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Danny, will your contact rotate your tyres for free ? I'd also factor in the Costco hazard warranty. You might also see if Costco is still offering the $60 rebate on four tyre purchase.

My anecdotal experience with the hydroedges is even wear at the expected rate -- *much* better than the stock. Minimal mpg hit after 10k miles. My choice was dictated by winter weather. Otherwise I would have bought Michelin Harmony or X-radial or Primacy.