1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best mod to reduce body lean in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by talkin73, Dec 27, 2014.

1. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Front sway bar? Rear sway bar? Other stabilizing options under the car?

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    IMHO. TRD anti-sway bar and springs. Transforms the ride! Nice and tight.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    17's!

I used to own a prius 3 with the stock 15's, never drove one with 17's till now.

I owned a few cars in between so I kinda forgot how they handled...

Prior to my most recent prius purchase I test drove a prius 2 liftback with the stock 15's immediately followed by a persona with the 17's.

My gosh what a difference between the two cars, Honestly taking corners a little too fast or making a quick evasive maneuver with the smaller 15's felt like the tires were going to roll under themselves. It was slightly unnerving. I never noticed this and always just thought this was normal as that was all I knew. After driving the Persona I then proceeded to sign on the dot and gladly took the mpg hit for the better handling car.

The personas 17's make the car feel sporty! It really does improve handling I feel and prob makes the car a little safer in knowing if you had to swerve to avoid a collision it will prob fare better.

And to answer your body roll question yeah the bigger rims def feel like they stiffen up the perceived body roll. Even still I'll prob be following above poster reccomendation for braces and TRD springs eventually.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    17s and these suspension upgrades.

20141125_062804.jpg 20141125_062554.jpg

Also Cusco Undercarriage upgrades if you want an even stiffer ride.

20141029_083531.jpg

#4 Xterra72, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    link to where you got the first two (the white ones) from?
    (actually, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for a couple weeks ago & was unable to find nething like that)

#5 StarCaller, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I take a tight turn fairly often, sometimes on the stock 215/45R17 Michelin Pilots, last night on Michelin X-Ice 195/65R15. I try to avoid touching the brakes, just let speed fall off as I approach, still going fairly fast into the curve.

Can't say I notice much difference with either setup. I'm definitely not testing the limits, though.

7. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The TRD rear anti-roll bar is the best use of your money.

8. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for this and feedback from others. What I'm reading is that the TRD RSB requires the purchase and install of end links whereas the Cusco version (slightly more expensive) does not require this additional part. The issue seems to be that some folks state the TRD version can make some type of odd noise if/when the end links come loose or if they aren't perfectly tight... but not an issue with the Cusco bar. Anyone know of a reason not to go with Cusco in the hopes of avoiding this potential noise issue?

9. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, the pics are very helpful. Does an RSB lower the lowest point on the underside of the car? In other words, if I install it and I'm driving in snow, does the RSB run the risk of catching/dragging when the underside of the car might otherwise be able to clear the snow? I just can't tell if the bar is lower than other parts of the cars underside so thanks for any clarification.

10. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Cusco bar. ...

20141029_083236.jpg

Burna J and talkin73 like this.
  11. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That pic is extremely helpful. Hmm. Looks like the ends are a bit lower. Not sure if you're in an area with snow or if that has been an issue. I'll probably do it anyway because it doesn't look like a huge issue for the rare occasion I'd be in snow that is high enough to catch the bar but not so high that I couldn't actually drive... a rarity. But, nice to go into it knowing what to expect. I would welcome any additional feedback you might have on the issue of drag or catching on anything, either personal experience or things you've learned elsewhere. Thanks again very much!

12. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, and nice ride @Xterra72

I went with Cusco because I thought they tuck up nicely to the bottom of the Prius. Which is best since I was going to lower it. Plus they make a matching front sway bar and more......
    Sorry I have no experience with driving in the snow, but I've creeped over some mean speed bumps without hitting them.

Here's some old B.C. pics. Lots of clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RightOnTime and Xterra72 like this.
  13. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The end-links are part of the TRD kit. But they do need replacing after 50/60 K miles. You might have problems with mounting causing them to rattle.

RightOnTime likes this.
  14. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. That sounds like what I read elsewhere. I think Cusco is the one for me.

15. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks very much. These pics help even more. Seems like they don't change the clearance in any measurable way. Cusco it is!

Burna J likes this.
  16. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I only swapped my springs to TRD's and very happy with results. My friend with a Prius trim level 5 complains about his Prius diving and leaning so springs does in fact reduces that a lot... I've owned many BMW's with aftermarket suspension kits in the past and this is a great compromise and fits the car well...

At the same time, sorry but don't understand the justification for the stress bars. I've thrown the Prius around here and there but it always comes back to the same things, lack of power or able to control the power to justify those items...

The rear shock tower brace takes the cake though.. on the Prius with the rear being a trailing arm n, no lateral loads are transferred.

#17 Sfcyclist, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you clarify what you mean by this? What is the rear shock tower brace?

18. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with @Sfcyclist. The rear shock tower brace is way unnecessary on a Prius. I just thought it looked cool, plus it keeps my groceries from sliding around. :):LOL::ROFLMAO:

[​IMG]

Xterra72 and nivlac915 like this.
  19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Agreed! Not a brace but a beer and grocery bar. Good to see the humor along with the facts.

I've had my days at driving events at the track that are which are a blast.. but even with all these braces and suspension work.. I still would never do it in a Prius due to the CVT! IF there was some transmission control or a manual tranny, then... maybe.... :LOL:

Burna J likes this.