1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best mod to reduce body lean in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by talkin73, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The torsional load from the suspension arms is taken by the trailing arm. It's not a strut in the rear where the lateral load is transferred through a strut like the front.

2. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those are for the Lexus hybrid 200h can't remember the exact model name. But they are on eBay.

3. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess i'll chime in...........

It all depends on how hard you push your car!

The RSB is the best bang for your buck to help reduce body lean in the Prius.

The other reinforcement parts explained above help the stability of the car especially during high winds and increases the effectiveness of the suspension.

In addition to a lower center of gravity you will be amazed on how the Prius can perform.

As with the rear being a trailing arm and that no loads are transferred, take a look underneath the rear seat cushion to see stress cracks from everyday driving :eek::eek::eek:

017.JPG

Attached Files:

• 019.JPG
      019.JPG
      File size:
      186.4 KB
      Views:
    Dylan Doxey and Burna J like this.
  4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My point about the rear brace is not needed as the rear isn't a strut thus the stress is not transferred to the shock tower.

Not sure how that photo translates to needing a trunk brace as that's in the center of the car. And isn't that insulating/rubber tape?

It's interesting to see the gamut of Prius owners push what their cars can do. On one spectrum it's hypermilers and other it's tracking their Prius. What I don't get on tracking the Prius is, having been to numerous track events before, with the CVT, how can you throttle precisely enough to enjoy it? Perhaps on slower small tracks?

#24 Sfcyclist, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were a gen two the upper front strut bar gives the most change of all the posibilities, 17" wheels, under body brace and rear sway bar, but on the gen3 the rear sway bar is sorta an after thought with links that absorb energy, its a help but nothing like it is on the gen2, imho the best mod for the gen3 would be 17" wheels with very sticky tires, then the underbody stiffening bar then the rear sway bar.

6. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a rear sway bar installed, and that made a world of difference in reduced body roll. However, I bought the Scion xB TRD rear sway bar as it is bigger than the one marketed for the Prius. 22.4MM diameter vs 16.4.

Recently I also installed a Cusco Center brace and roll has reduced further and it seems so has steering response. I have the front brace ready to install, with the strut tower brace on order from juicedhybrid, as well but it seems a bit to cold right now.

Burna J likes this.
  7. KyleSTL

KyleSTL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @mypriuscious, question:

When you bought the xB TRD sway bar (PTR11-52091) did you need to buy the endlinks separately (like PTR11-47012), or do they come as a package like the Prius TRD RSB?

And two more questions to anyone with experience:

Which single Cusco brace has the biggest impact on stability, ride quality, body roll, etc (front, front lower arm, center, rear or strut tower)?
    What is the diameter of the factory front sway bar in comparison to the Tanabe (25.4mm)? Does upgrading to it have a significant impact on flatness?

ZBrink likes this.
  8. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have none to little body lean in mine-
    It has all the Cusco braces + the Prius V rear bar, Megan Coilovers, TRD rear sway bar and Tanabe Front STB.

9. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The one I bought came with the endlinks. Sorry for the delay, I normally use Tapatalk to get notifications and it had been acting funny.