1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best MPG segments - Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by ufourya, Jun 5, 2012.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

2. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A couple of things, Toast - this is in the Prius c forum. In addition, the photo shows other segments which may be equally pointless but establish segments with significant mileage figures for 30+ miles. The POINT of the thread is for Prius c owners to post pictures of segments they find significant.

Do you own a Prius c? If so, post a picture of some MPG figures.

If you want longer segments, I'm waiting for people to post them as well. Your linked thread is years old and does not concern the Prius c.

In other words, here is a segment of 169.9 miles with an MPG figure over 70. I kind of like it. Does anyone else have a photo they'd like to post? Have at it. Thank you for your own pointless comment.

IMG_3146 (800x772).jpg

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes but if it is not a full tank, it is a misleading post. That's why this is pointless. And C vs. V vs. Regular is not really needed, they all behave similarly. Also why they share the Prius name...

4. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The title of the thread says "Best MPG SEGMENTS', not TANKS. These are three different cars and the liftback has three generations. If you want to start your own thread, no one willl stop you.

No one will stop you from being pointless here. I reserve the right, however, to point out when you are.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I can drive up and down my driveway in EV mode, get 99.9mpg and post a 99.9mpg segment...

6. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Seriously, Toast? Are you never proud/excited/happy/anything when you have a particularly good trip? Or do you ignore everything except the tank averages? If you'd like to post a 99.9 mpg trip up and down your driveway, you're more than welcome, but we all know how that works, and know that it doesn't mean anything. I happen to have a commute of just over three miles, so according to you, everything I do in my car is pointless...is that right? The thread wasn't created for the sake of science. There are plenty of threads about average tanks and lifetime averages.

secondspassed, ufourya and spiderman like this.
  7. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing that I hope is that people don't post significantly downhill segments, or, if they do, they just note how much net elevation was lost over the distance they traveled.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This will be very hard to enforce, because Prius is very sensitive to elevation changes that the driver may not even notice. My PC album has a photo of 91.3 mpg over a 100.1 mile segment. While this segment started with a blatantly obvious descent, I believe there are other geographies with less elevation change but more steady and gradual descents that will produce even better results, yet where the driver doesn't have to be completely clueless to miss the signs of changing elevation.

This is why whole tankfuls are more meaningful. There is no place on this planet where such elevation changes can sustain this much benefit over a whole Prius tankful. Likewise, tailwinds are much less likely to produce a continuous boost over a whole tank than over a short segment.

A few years ago a VW TDI Tanks Wars site solicited pictures of high MPG segments. Unfortunately, the minimum trip length was only 15 miles, and there was no required disclosure of elevation change. What a farce. (This is what prompted the above photo.) I think I know a place where my fuel sucking pig Subaru could go 25 miles on almost no fuel, just a cup or two to get rolling again from the stop sign in the middle. Of course, any non-plugin Prius would easily peg 9999 mpg on a ScanGauge there, if only the SG didn't have that 0.02 gph bug.

9. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The very first photo in this thread includes a segment of over 9 miles @ 99.9+ MPG. If your driveway is longer than that, I'll be very impressed. :) - by the driveway.

I am not sure why you want to be argumentative here. As far as I can tell from the evidence presented on this thread, I am the world champion Prius c MPG segment poster. (Maybe that will generate a photo response from someone.) As for you, evidence suggests a lack of ... a point. But thanks for the laughs.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't yet experienced a road where an ordinary non-hybrid, such as my Subaru, can beat that, you haven't traveled far enough.
    See post #52 in CleanMPG Previews the 2012 Toyota Prius c: 99.9 mpg for 10.3 miles is pictured. See also his post #1, 85.6 mpg for 59.2 miles.

11. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am pretty experienced hypermiler - I achieved 63MPG on a 550 mile trip from Oklahoma to Iowa in my 2010 Prius, but I think there was something wrong with the first tank or something - I am now on tank 3 and MPG is in the Upper 40's low 50's.

12. yojo

yojo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are right - am still new to the whole Prius/hybrid thing. Perhaps the right screen is the trip summary the C shows once you turn it off. As far as the above picture is concerned, it was based off ~ 12 mile commute, mix city and highway, which lasted for approx 20-25 minutes. Overall, today I am at a half tank from the absolute start, and the car shows 250 mi - since the tank capacity is near 10g, I guess that averages to somewhere near 50.. will post more accurate numbers when I fuel up.

13. yojo

yojo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks - as far as technique, frankly, I am not quite sure yet. Am new to hybrids - this is my first hybrid car, and am really liking it so far. I think my route is conducive to these numbers, since while 80 was on the high side, I have clocked above 60 [at least 4-5 times since I got the car] - my commute starts off the freeway and then is on the city streets for about 3 miles, where the car is warmed up already and the electric does a lot of work. I try to be smooth in accelerating and braking - besides that, would love to hear tips from the experts here on how to improve technique for better mileage!

14. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I thought this thread would provide some entertainment. It has! Just not in the way I expected. I am well aware of cleanMPG and Wayne Gerdes. Please note that I linked to the same article a coouple of months ago on another thread, (see post#10):
    60 mpg calculated on a tank? | PriusChat

GEEZ, I'm still waiting for Prius c owners to post pictures from THEIR cars and THEIR experiences.

15. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply. I am by no means an expert, just exploring the possibilities of the car. Looking forward to another picture posting from you in the future.

Perhaps some real experts will harness a c and grace us with their (photo documented) exploits.

16. DrewC2

DrewC2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448310.896667.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339448320.922026.jpg
    Long trips and grocery store trips. I have owned my c for about a month now and I couldn't be happier!

17. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Short run segments are pointless. For instance for 15 miles the elevation on Hwy 26 MP #10 is about 200-300
    feet from MP 10 to Seaside. Even though the elevation is somewhat slight its easy to get well over 60 mpg
    in that segment.

The accurate method is round trips over 300 miles from cold start.

ufourya likes this.
  18. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh my god, we already had that discussion in this thread.

19. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If I could delete the whole thread, I would.

20. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

My normal trip to work. This is the best mileage I've gotten so far while driving to work. It's up and down mountains the whole way basically, but the elevation does drop almost 400 ft. I think my best mileage on the return trip has been 62-63mpg. I like this thread, but people sure are taking the whole "too short of a distance, not a full tank" thing too seriously. I'm pretty stoked when I get a good trip, especially when it's somewhat lengthy and on a drive I make every single day of the work week.

ufourya likes this.