1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best mpg to date

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tinaprius, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    67, very nice, Rstaton!

For highway question, the Gen III has a habit of overstating by more than the Gen II, so if you're reading off the display, it may be around 50 mpg in reality.

2. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am stuck at around 47 for now.... Hopefully on the increase as I drive the car longer.

3. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks.

I'm starting a log book for gas fillups. But then I still have to trust the odometer. I've found that the speedometer typically reads 1MPH high at highway speed, compared to GPS.

I know that warming up the engine kills the MPG for the first 5 minutes. I would be tempted to get an EBH, but I don't have a driveway or garage.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Measure the odometer error separately, as it will be different than the speedometer error.

My odo read about 0.2% low last year, compared to GPS and DOT markers. That might change as the tires wear.

5. Rstaton

Rstaton New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would think a GPS would be slightly low because of the way it calculates your path in curves. I think it calculates a series of straight lines that approximate your path, whose sum is slightly less than your actual path.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had a discussion about this earlier. My hiking GPSs have read trip distances much too high. Ground tracks displayed serious momentary jumps far off the road, with one jump along the North Cascades Highway being nearly a mile off the road. These could easily add 10% extra distance through mountainous areas.

Another experiment since them found the reason - battery saver mode. When one was put in continuous mode, it differed from an automotive GPS by less than 0.2 mile over 500 miles, consistent with some rest stop errors. Together, they read about 0.2% higher than the Prius odometer, but they were matched two long stretches of DOT highway markers on I-90 from the Idaho border to the Columbia River, interrupted by a significant 'bust' near Ritzville (?). I detected that same bust on an earlier non-GPS calibration attempt.

Because the GPS vs odometer difference built up gradually and evenly, without any big jumps on switchbacks or through canyons, I believe it is good. Mileposts are more troublesome, as some are clearly displaced for obstructions or installation convenience.

But now I'm convinced that GPS is good, when not in battery-saver mode.

F8L likes this.
  7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got 75.1 mpg today on my way to work, shattering my previous record of 69.1!

No tricks either, I drove faster, and the SOC is that same as when I started (2 bars down).

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sipnfuel in da house!

9. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^^ :rockon:

Thanks. I commemorated it by snapping picture. I think the lack of traffic due to good friday, combined with unusually mild weather helped a lot.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today i-is Friday, Friday (Partyin')
    We-we-we so excited
    We so excited
    We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes after ... wards
    I don't want this weekend to end

:eek::eek::confused:

10. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On Wednesday i averaged 71.7 on my 26-mile commute home from work--my best to date. Nothing special about the day and we still haven't hit over 60 degrees this spring, so I hope to break this new personal best soon!

11. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got 90.47 mpg in a 60km trip last month.
    [​IMG]
    No overall battery drain, flat terrain.
    Just used P&G from 35 to 60 km/h.

12. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW.
    How did you do it?

13. Ferls80

Ferls80 Performing some hypermiling techniques.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've explained something more here.

14. totfit

totfit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We just got our 2011 on Earth Day no less. I loved my old 2000 CRV, but after moving further from work decided it was time to trade and had been lusting over the Prius for a lont time. My first trip into work yesterday of 17 miles I averaged 62 mpg. It wound up around 54 though round trip. This morning I was backed up in traffic for about an hour and wound up with 46 mpg on the way in. We really lover our new car. I had said that the CRV was going to be my last vehicle, but the Prius I think will be....well, except for my bicycle.

15. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. ncfishboy

ncfishboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just went 513 miles in 9.125 gallons, 56.125 MPG (60.2 MPG on display). Living at the beach it is all flat except the bridge I have to cross getting to work and back. I love going 2 weeks between trips to the gas station.

17. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I just got back from a round trip to Germany from the UK a total of 840 miles with an average of just over 60mpg which for a car with just 2000 miles on the clock from new isn't too bad I'm thinking.

Here is the mpg on arrival at our destination

[​IMG]

and here it is on arriving home.

[​IMG]

18. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only measure by the tank and my best was 58mpg, hand cal'd. I just don't get excited like many here over single trip mpg. I think it's deceiving.

My lifetime mpg is 46. Canadian prairie winters can be brutal.

1 person likes this.
  19. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am very happy with the mileage on the prius. My best MPG (tank) was 56MPG and this year so far 52. (actual calculations, figure 2MPG better on the gauge in car).

More importantly, my worse was 48 (1st tank, maybe not filled up all the way???), and 39 (severe driving back and forth to train station due to record snows / cold in chicago this year)

I also use it to "haul" stuff... it's been years since I've had anything with usable cargo space :rolleyes:. Today dropped off a large weber grill that son had delivered to our house. None of his friends could fit in their cars... all larger then my Prius, on the outside...

20. barisaxy2

barisaxy2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My best tank ever was a few weeks ago: 619 miles on 10.671 gallons. 61.7 MPG displayed, 58.01 calculated. My current tank is over 62 displayed, so we'll see what it comes out to when I fill up on Tuesday or Wednesday. Maybe it'll be a New Track Record (for me at least)!

I've had several tanks over 56 calculated. Spring and fall are definitely good times of the year. My long term average is 51.6 over 44758 miles. For comparison, I had several tanks over 58 over the 170000 miles I put on my 2004, but the bladder effect makes those somewhat suspect. I averaged 49.8 lifetime, so the 2010 is definitely an improvement so far. Can't wait to buy a Gen IV plug in.

My worst tank (other than the very first) was 43.02 (45.8 displayed) after 445 miles on 10.344 gallons this winter after a high speed interstate trip in the cold and snow. I've had a handful of tanks less than 47, all on high speed trips in the winter months.

I don't do anything too special. My commute is 44 miles each way, including rolling VA rural 4 lane 55 MPH highway, with 3 miles of 25-45 MPH 2 lane road at each end. I try to use the drive with load and drive without brakes techniques, trying to keep the HSI as far to the left as possible, accelerating from a stop in the power zone and then coasting when I hit cruising speed, accelerating up hills at the top of the eco zone, and keeping the instantaneous MPG above 50 whenever possible. I'll coast down the hills and hit 70 MPH, then burn off momentum on the way back up to finish at 55. I'll drive 40-42 in the 45 zones if I can to keep it on battery. I make very few short trips. My 2010 came with Goodyear Fuel Max tires, which I keep inflated to 38/36, so that probably helps a bit too.