1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Non-JBL Speaker Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sillyboy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is the non-JBL Toyota harness that worked with 2004 and 2005 model year Prius:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewpics.php?id=5204

Can you tell if that connector looks like the one in your Prius?

2. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

Well crap, was hoping to have everything I needed before tearing apart the dash, but looks like I need to take alot.

Alas, I am stuck
    https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Fi...sXMradio3.2.pdf
    ~page 15.

I have removed the two bolts, holding the multi-display on... but then I am stuck. Are there clips holding the multidisplay in place? (The directions have been great about pointing those out... but don't mention any here). I applied a bit of force and nothing happened...

3. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 13 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]405080[/snapback]</div>
    As usually happens w/ Silly, after panic'ing for awhile and posting several times, i figured it out :)

There are clips (red on my case) at the bottom left and right, pushing them in a bit and giving the unit a yank was rather helpful :p

4. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

Attached Files:

5. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 13 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]405134[/snapback]</div>
    Oh. Yes, I am crazy. I would be screwing existing wiring for lots of stuff that is non-speaker related (power, ground, dimmer, 12v memory, power antenna...)

I better go re-read your guys' posts :)

6. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 13 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]405155[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=60-1761

Seems that would be a good way to keep existing stuff, and just tap the speaker wires.

7. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 13 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]405161[/snapback]</div>
    Comparing the picture I sent you to the one you posted confirms what I thought....that is, that they
    appear identical.....so the wiring harness should work fine.
    Shop around for the 70-1761 and the 71-1761. I saw them for as little as $10 or $12 for both on the web.
    Don't bother with the 60-1761.....because it's essentially the 70-1761 spliced to the 71-1761 with
    three leads coming off for power ground & switched power.....but it cost $10 more than the other two combined.....if you can solder wires together (or connect them with wire nuts or crimp connectors) save
    yourself the extra money.....you'll need to get at those other wires anyway to tap the speaker input/outputs for your amp.
    Regards

8. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Mar 14 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]405310[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently, they stopped making the 60-1761 anyway. :)

9. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

Okay, new problem :)

Well, how lame would it make me to just run wires from my amp, back to the head unit, and use the factory wiring to the speakers? Uber lame? Okay fine...

Then how difficult is it to get wires into the doors?

I tried to get at the rear door. I removed the molding around the bottom the b-pillar, and was able to sorta pop off that bottom molding (though, I am still not sure if I broke it in the process). I see the cute rubber flexible tube between the car and the door... but it looks rather difficult to thread a wire through there.

Am I missing something easy? :)

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're making this way harder than it has to be. If the Bazooka harness works, you could easily modify it so that you can amplify the front speakers and add a subwoofer without cutting a single wire in the car. Not only that, but you can construct the harness on your workbench; no need to try to perform surgery while in the car.

[​IMG]

This is for a 2005 w/JBL, but if the connectors on the non-JBL haven't changed, you could do something similar. Instead of plugging in between the head unit and amp, you'd be plugging in between the head unit and chassis wiring.

11. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

Well, it sounds like good news that I am making it too hard :) The bad news is that I don't understand what you are telling me.

I have amps in the "trunk" area, that are going to receive speaker level inputs (since the head unit doesn't have volume adjustable low level). So, I need to have speaker outs from the HU going to the amps, then (somehow) get from the amps back to the speakers. My choices would be a) run new wires or B) run wire all the way back to the HU.

I am not sure what your magic connector is solving?

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyboy @ Mar 15 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]406398[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try to describe this as simply as possible.

A. Connects to Bazooka BTAH cable to bring rear speaker signal of JBL amp and power-on signal to amp in trunk
    B. Plugs in between factory JBL amp and factory wiring harness
    C. Plugs into factory JBL amp
    D. Plugs into factory wiring harness to connect amplified (by amp in trunk) speaker signals (E and F) to factory speaker wiring.
    E. Connects rear-channel speaker output of amps in trunk to factory wiring for rear door speakers
    F. Connects output of Infinity crossovers to factory wiring for front door speakers
    G. Connects front-channel speaker output of amps in trunk to Infinity crossovers

If you can't understand that then I'm sorry, I guess I can't help you.

Attached Files:

13. Sillyboy

Sillyboy New Member

Thanks a bunch for your detailed response :)

Clearly I am both dense, and new, but the references to the JBL amp are throwing me (as I don't have one :)).

You appear to generally use factoring wiring (D's output is into factory wires). Input into D is from amps I believe (via E and, slightly less clear F).

So, my plan will be to use the factory wiring as well. I run 4 lengths of wire from my amps in the trunk to the factory wiring harness near the HU. (I also run 4 lengths from the HU to the amps...).