1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best OBD reader, Gen 2 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MattFL, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can anyone recommend the best OBD reader for the Prius? I need to trouble shoot a gas gauge problem and a brake noise problem, and I'm hoping to get some hints by watching what's happening on the car network during the problem times.

Kindza likes this.
  2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure I know what I am talking about, but I would like to know also.

I have a mini-VCI, but just saw a post about a VDX or something like that....seemed a lot less hassle than the mini....

3. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In reading around it is starting to look like ABS system data may not be present on the OBD bus. Is there a separate CAN bus on the Prius that isn't accessible via the OBD port?

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The best OBD2 reader for a Prius is the MiniVCI (Requires MS Windows). Another option that is reasonable is Torque Pro ($5 plus an OBD2 interface and requires Android). Most others have limited functionality on a Toyota.

JeffD

Georgina Rudkus and valde3 like this.
  6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Everything is available through OBD2 port. You just need correct program/tool to be able to see/use them.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1

Mini-VCI linking a laptop running TechStream is the gold standard. TechStream is the software the dealers use. I have it, but haven't been successful in getting it to work.
    I also have the Torque Pro app, which is easy, portable, inexpensive ($5), and surprisingly comprehensive. Requires an Android phone.

8. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys for the replies. What I have learned is that lots of data, such as the ABS data, doesn't show up for most generic OBD readers. You need something better. So I started searching for that something better, and came across these guys. They have several options, basically if you go with them it will cost you about $360 to be able to read the low level ABS data. I have no idea if this brand is any good or not, or if there are cheaper options, I'm just taking what they emailed me at face value:

EASE - OBD2 Scan Tool, J2534 Programming, OBD2 (obd-ii) Software

Here is our email exchange:

My question:
    I need to troubleshoot both an ABS issue and a fuel gauge / fuel tank issue for a 2008 Prius. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to buy from you to be able to see all data on the related systems?

Their reply:
    Thank you for your interest in EASE Diagnostics. We do offer Personal Level Software for Toyota however, you would need an EASE Pro Level Interface or Toyota Mongoose Interface to support the Software. You would need Level 1+2 software for $159.00 + a supported Device. The EASE Po Level Interface and OBDII cable is an additional $200.00 if you do not have the Toyota Mongoose already.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A miniVCI is a Chinese clone of the Toyota Mongoose interface and it comes with a pirated copy of the Toyota SW fpr about $25. It should also interface with the EASE SW, but I have not tried it.

JeffD

10. Kindza

Kindza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Only because the software isn't capable enough? Or because the data you need doesn't pass through the ODBII interface at all?

---
    Am I correct to think that ODBII is just a series of pins, like a serial interface - i.e. the adapter doesn't matter much? An adapter would only translate whatever data the OSBII interface supplies into data that a BT device could read? I.e. does the adapter matter at all?

Then then next question is, does ODBII supply the needed (ABS) info at all?

If ODBII does supply the info - then it's just a question of finding the right software - if it's available at all separately from the adapter. If it does not - then like you said, you have to find something else.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It can be a bit of both. There are a bunch of pins on the diagnostic connector there, with different ones used for some different physical layer communication standards (K-line, CAN, etc.), and some not even really used for serial communication at all, but just for signaling certain ECUs in the car by pulsing them to ground or other specified voltages. It's essentially a "standard" creating by combining the several different approaches car manufacturers were using at the time.

Not all OBD-II hardware dongles will be electrically able to support all the signaling methods, baud rates, and so on, used in the car.

Then, if you get one that does, there is still the software issue. OBD-II standardizes certain pieces of data (mostly to do with engine control and emissions) that have to have the same addresses and data formats in all cars, and all standard OBD-II reading software knows how to retrieve those. Everything else is vehicle-specific and often can be read if the software you are using has a way for you to enter custom PIDs and conversions, and if you are able to figure out what those are. There are extensive threads here on PriusChat where people have reverse-engineered a lot of the PID addresses and conversions for a lot of the data in the car ... again assuming you have a dongle that supports all the right physical layers.

There are a couple basic styles of dongle floating around: one that's based on the command set of the ELM Electronics ELM327 chip, which can usually talk to some but not all of the car's stuff, and another based on an SAE standard called J2534. The official Techstream laptop software from Toyota requires a J2534 dongle that can do all the necessary tricks.

And yes, you can retrieve the ABS info with a J2534 dongle.

However, if you are having an ABS issue, you might not want to wait for getting your perfect code reading setup; the ABS computer is built so you can also get those codes by jumpering two pins at the diagnostic connector and counting blinks of the lights on the dash. You could do that right away. They are your brakes, after all.

-Chap

12. tomcornell

tomcornell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    nvm

#12 tomcornell, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. RP67

RP67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi Jeff, I know this is quite and old topic but I guess still around. I have Torque (full version) with custom PID for Prius then I have a fault code P0560 which triggers a few warning lights on the dashboard, including red triangle, check engine, brake and handbrake (brake the red and yellow as well). As I found nothing useful about this code I thought its maybe a "misreading" what Torque does. Do you think it is possible? Cheers
    Arpad

14. greshambobb

greshambobb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jeff... Is there a particular OBD2 interface that you could recommend? I want an OBD reader that is compatible with my Gen 2 mainly for reading codes. Thx, Bob

15. Ewhitaker0020

Ewhitaker0020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This one was recommended to me and I absolutely love it. It has worked flawless every time I have used it. Updates quickly. I use the car scanner app and the Dr Prius app for looking at the battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. Ewhitaker0020

Ewhitaker0020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it wouldn't let me link the Amazon link. It's the panlong bluetooth code reader. It's only $12.99 and it better than most of the other ones I've tried

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I use the BAFX Bluetooth one with DrPrius and Torque. The image attached is my OBD2 Bluetooth adaptor. I also have a "MiniVCI" wired OBD2 adaptor that I had used in the past with the Toyota app.

JeffD

Attached Files:

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I believe that P0560 is a code that is triggered by a low 12v bus voltage during startup.

JeffD

20. eeck62

eeck62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    All,
    I purchased on OBDIi reader recommended on the Dr Prius site. Can someone post a picture of the Torque App that people recommend for engine diagnostics? Or recommend another app if there is a good one, thank you