1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best oil & air filters?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Troy Heagy, May 12, 2014.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The SAE 20 micron test might be interesting if I knew details, but the *much* better test is to simply have an oil analysis done at your preferred change interval.

Gas Mizer likes this.
  2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oil analysis doesn't tell you which oil filter can remove 5 micron dirt (and which cannot) (like Toyota and Honda filters). Only the SAE test in a controlled lab environment does that.

The Toyota brand only filters downto 20 microns, so I switched to the AC Delco that filters downto 10 microns. (Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 filters also do the same.)

#42 Troy Heagy, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will trust in Toyota that they know what 's best in terms of a oil filter being to restrictive.

4. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look inside of any name brand oil filter through the screw on hole. You will notice a spring in there. That is the bypass for when the filter clogs. The smaller the particulates it filters , the sooner it clogs and completely bypasses the filtering process in order to pump oil. When this happens oil is no longer being filtered. If you really want to filter oil you should spin on a new filter between changes and top it off no matter which brand you choose.

Oil never wears out. It just gets dirty and needs to be strained. Remember Havoline? Back in the day it was recycled fossil oil. Any oil that meets the spec on the cap is fine. Synthetic gets dirty too. Spin on a new filter at 5k and run it to 10k and all will be well. You're wasting money if you change it sooner. The molecules are actually "rounder" than the old fossil oils and lubricate better.

The stuff I work on uses a silicon lubricant and is in there at 390 degrees. My next lawn mower oil change I'm going to experiment with using that just because it's old. I'm expecting the idle to increase by a hundred rpm's. The stuff I'm talking about is probably a 10 weight and is the slickest stuff I have every encountered. You can put a teaspoon full on the ground, come back in as hour, and it looks like you spilled a cup. It migrates to dry areas.

#44 Stratman, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Rounder" molecules? Seriously?

6. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do normal people actually think about the specication of oil filters? Most of us change the filters every 5-10k miles and throw it away.

I have more important things to worry about in my life than micron size of oil filters!

OP asks a Q and then shoots everyones replies down

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Many buy the oil filter that's on sale. ;)

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use nothing but Toyota filters.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seriously. That's my understanding. Think of them like tiny microscopic ball bearings. The smoother the surface the less friction. At least thats how it was explained to me.

10. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you have a lubricant that uses something exotic, such as buckyballs or tungsten disulfide, roundness is probably not a factor. Motor oils are generally a mixture of long chain hydrocarbons and polyalphaolefins. These are long and mostly flat, not round. I freely admit I'm not an expert about this. My chemistry background is in plant biochemistry, not lubricants, but that's what I learned from some quick research.

11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes I shotdown answers that were illogical, just as when I tutored College physics and I asked, "What's the vertical velocity of a ball at the peak of its arc?" I shotdown answers that were not correct .

- Synthetic oil don't need viscosity modifiers to achieve 0w-20 thickness (conventional oils do). So you get more oil for better lubrication. Also less varnishing (what VMs turn into when heat exposed).

- Filters don't clog-up that quickly. Mobil, Pennzoil, and Purolator all advertise their synthetic filters good for 15,000 miles (even though they filter downto 10 micron). Toyota, Honda, etc also advise they are good for 15,000 miles. They don't go into bypass.

- The SAE has found that most wear occurs at the 1 micron level. That's why you need to change your oil, because no filter will remove those teeny-tiny particles. Only a complete drain will do it.

12. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you on the oil change.(y) Changing the oil is the KEY!!
    Have you changed you mind on using PureOne or Royal Purple oil filters, after what you said?:rolleyes:

:oops:Sorry; I saw that you now have changed to AC Delco!!
    Do you think that 10 micron oil filter might be too restrictive:eek: in the flow of oil?
    Maybe Toyota knows this, and went with a 20 micron oil filter.
    Remember; Toyota must be doing something right, in making a GREAT Prius!!:)

You can't go wrong with a Prius!!(y)

Sure you might find a better oil filter, for a higher price.:(
    Toyota Prius has proven itself time and time again.
    The same can be said about Toyota oil.
    :eek:Why pay a higher price?(n)

You can put the Prius through many tests;:D
    and the Prius will surprise you every time.:cool:
    The Prius is just made to last!!:)

13. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup! ....they seem capable of 200,000/300,000 miles......after that; you'll never know how little I really care! ....;)