1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best performance/bang for buck wheels & tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Andrax, May 19, 2013.

1. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all,

I do realize that there are a ton of tire/wheel threads that expound on fuel economy but this is my Delma. I have a 2010 with stock 15" wheels and the tires are about worn to the wear bars and I'm on the fence about how to proceed. First, let me say that spending money on tires always makes me crabby. I do of course realize how important good tires are, but it's not exactly a fun purchase.

Anyway, I am trying to decide if it makes more sense to take this opportunity to buy new wheels, maybe 16" or 17" for some summer/all seasons and keep my 15" set for snow tires. I'm In Idaho, so we do see snow and some winter driving conditions, but our family, skiing car is a Lexus suv with AWD so the Prius is not likely to see major winter activity outside of commuting and driving about town.

The additional downside of a size upgrade for wheels is the increase in tire price. *sigh*. Sorry for the ramble. I guess I'm soliciting opinions on the most economical setup that will offer the least road noise, best performance and fuel economy! Heh, at least my needs are simple. Lol

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A fun purchase?
    Well I admit I kind of enjoy looking for my next set of tires. But I like researching all the options and possibilities and reading all the performance claims.
    It's usually AFTER I purchase them and they usually fall short of all the wonderful things the manufacturer promises that I become disappointed and crabby. But actually deciding and purchasing? IMO that's the fun part.

What do you value most? From your vehicle and your tires?

If your priority is fuel economy and initial expense than I think obviously your best bet is to stay with your current OEM 15 inch size.

If your priorities are potential performance and road noise? You might be better served looking to upgrade to a larger wheel and tire.

Unfortunately it's kind of a fork in the road as far as a decision goes. Taking one path does demand a sacrifice in the benefits of the other path.

Most people I notice usually cite changing wheel size as a visual advantage. They think it looks better. I notice you don't really cite that as something you are valuing? My fear would be that you indeed "upgrade" to a larger size, then don't really realize the benefit you expect in performance and road noise but do see a reduction in fuel economy and then are unhappy.

But really nobody can answer this for you. I think a larger wheel size and tire can offer "differences" in how the vehicle feels and handles, differences that translate into plus's and minus's in performance and handling.

Only you can really determine if that upgrade or change is worth it to you.

3. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. My thinking if I do the upgrade is that I will keep the 15" and put a set of snow tires on them this winter. This seems like the ideal time to make a change of I am going to. I do plan on keeping the car fairly long term so my continued enjoyment in driving and safety are high priorities.

I'd love to try to maximize fuel economy or at least not shoot myself in the foot, but if I can cut down some road noise that would be worth sacrificing a little. I'm in real estate and property management so I am in my call all day most days.

On a side note, I saw a post about using speaker felt inside the door cavities as a much cheaper alternative to the sound deadening products and it doing a really good job at a fraction of the cost. I'm also in the process of getting Rude person's's front and mid braces installed.

I'm a family man though so I am not looking to bling out my car or anything. Stylish sure, nice, you bet. But I'm not the kind of guy that wants to put $5,000 wheels on my Prius so people will stop in the road to drool over them. ;)

I realize the bigger I go, the more i am going to be paying for tires... Is there still a benefit in moving just to a 16 or is it really 17 or bust?

4. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of people will say that a long as you are changing you might as well go 17. I like 16 wheels, myself. They can be more subtle and you can still get close to the 25" circumference of the original. Plus everything is cheaper.