1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best phone mount

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by raspy, Jan 2, 2017.

1. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too am interested in this question.

2. EdG

EdG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the MPOW mount in the CD slot (very similar to the iOttie). It holds the S7 Edge very well, little or no shaking while in motion, price is good too. (Sorry for no link, forum won't let me include one until I've posted more.)

RCO likes this.
  3. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! I've ordered the iOttie side mount as well as the CD-mount, I'll post my experiences once I test them.

4. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Oneplus 3T is a remarkable phone for the money.

I suggest you wait. S8 is likely to be launched by March. S7 battery life degrades quite a bit over time from my experience.

5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but I have to count the pennies and the S8 will attract a premium. Got my Nexus 6 on sale from Google store after the 6P was released to sale which saved me about £100. That was some two years ago and the battery is still sound.

6. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a listing on Amazon for the MPOW CD slot mount...

7. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both mounts arrived. Will be testing on 25 mile round trip tomorrow, including over lots of speed bumps in the city. All my phones are big in size so let's see if they fit with cases on.

Additionally, I got the dual usb charger for cigarette lighter socket. One is a regular fast charge, other port is quick charge 3.0 which would only speed up charging my S7 Edge. Quick charge 4.0 has been announced, so will need to upgrade this once I get the S8.

Why can't car companies fit multiple fast charge usb ports in the cabin by default? 1483653917619.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

JoshZ and RojaRosie like this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .. or even Android Auto or Apple Car Play!!!!!!?

RojaRosie likes this.
  9. Veliksam

Veliksam Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @raspy you're going to love the one touch 3, mine does not shake at all.

Oh, I also wanted to suggest how you can route your charging cable.
    The way I do it is I let it go over the steering column, just make sure the cable is long enough but not too long.

#29 Veliksam, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    RCO and raspy like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have multiple (2) 12V ports. They are simpler than the USB connector chargers. An issue is that Apple decided to use the USB connector for its chargers even though the phone needs more current than the USB specification. They basically modified the standard for their own purposes and other manufacturers followed. USB involves electronics but the 12V outlets are just electrical & connectors.

My second 12V port is located on the rear of the console, primarily for rear seat passengers.

11. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate that, I just don't like having to buy additional equipment to fast charge my devices.

12. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, so I started off today with the One touch 3 mount and the CD mount. The one touch 3 certainly is rock solid as a mount on the side window, and it managed to hold my iphone 6+ that has a very thick case and often doesn't fit in other mounts. The Pixel XL I used in the CD mount and again fitting wise got clamped in very snugly with pretty much zero movement, prior to putting the phone in the holder.

As I was in a rush today, I decided to put the one touch 3 away and just focus on the Pixel on the CD mount in both portrait and landscape mode. I didn't like landscape mode when on the CD mount.

Towards the end I settled on portrait with the phone as high as possible and angled towards me so glancing down from the road was as short as possible. The only downside of this mount was the switch for the hazards was hard to reach, and I use that a lot in London, as a way of saying thank you to the driver behind me. Furthermore, given that I've always used a mount that sticks to the windscreen and doesn't need me to glance down or away from the road itself, then the CD mount, even with the phone at the highest level was too low for my preference. It was close enough that when stuck in jams (which happened a lot), I could tap away quite easily.

It moved a tiny bit when driving over bumps, but pretty much very solid. Also the phone is much closer to the charging port if needed.

I'm probably going to try the One Touch 3 tomorrow but place it on the top of the dashboard, to the right of the speedo or even in front of the speedo given that I have the heads up display. The traffic and road layout here is so weird and twisty that I want to drive looking at the nav phone without looking down from the road too much, in terms of distance. I will probably use the CD-mount to hold the phone that I use for calls, and the one touch 3 for the phone that I use for nav.

In an ideal world, I would be able to incorporate the google maps info from my phone into the heads up display.

Attached Files:

draedie and RCO like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to label the horn on the steering wheel?? :LOL: :LOL: :D

JoshZ likes this.
  14. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes as my elderly father found the car very different compared to his last one so to help him when we got the Gen 4 I labeled a few things and then just left them on even though he's familiar with the car now.

RojaRosie, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great review, raspy and valuable references. BTW, to thank other drivers with the hazards occluded you could do as the HGV drivers do, one flash left, one flash right and a final flash left. That is also used to say 'thanks'.

raspy likes this.
  16. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Oh dear, downside of the CD mount is that despite phone being in highest position it obscures view of the backup camera. 1483956733951.jpg

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a bit of a problem, I agree. How easy is it to remove the phone from the mount? Manoeuvring with reverse is only a small percentage of a journey using a satnav, surely. And probably at either the beginning or end (or both) of a trip!

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turning the phone 90 degrees to landscape mode might help too, but that would reduce the nav usefulness.

raspy and RCO like this.
  19. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be removed with one hand. The issue is that in London I find reversing into a space has to be done far more rapidly than I'd like to, hence this is an issue in terms of being able to respond quickly.

20. Veliksam

Veliksam Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So it looks like we have a winner, the window mount it is