1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best place to dock your iphone/ipod on a 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kuhne, Aug 13, 2010.

1. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sadly the one avialable in my country doesnt have the screen nor the gps and to me that is very important but i dont care that much as all my music and gps needs would be with an iphone connected to the auxiliary port.

I have a dock that can easily attach to the windshield or I can glue it to the dashboard but to me it looks like the prius is the anti-iphone car.. there's just nowhere to properly dock this thing. if I dock it in the best place possible, it would be blocking my view from the center dashboard, if I put it all the way to the left so that it doesnt block, it would be on top of the steering wheel and if I put it all the way to the right it's too far from my reach.

I could use the windshield attachment but the windshield is too far away for this to be a comfortable option.

And of course this adds the extra problem of having an ugly auxiliarly cable coming all the way from the center console up to the dashboard or windshield, not to mention the charing cable which would be coming either from the center console or the floor compartment.

It seems like it would be ugly looking because of all the cables and unconfortable to use.

sure, if I am only doing some driving here in my city then I can leave the phonein the center console or just on top of the cup holder and not worry about a dock at all but when I am stuck in traffic and I want to watch some tv when I am at a full stop or whenever I need to use a gps, a dock is pretty much necesary.

it seems like the best place to have the thing would be right beside the joystick, that way the cables wont look ugly and it's right besides my reach, however this makes looking down dangerous whenever I need an update on where I am going or when I want to change songs or whatever, so that option is not very optimal.

the other option I came up with, which is actualy probably the best, is to use the windshield dock option in the driver's window but not the main window, instead the weird looking small window that the 2010 prius has that serves no real purpose to the left of the dashboard.

It seems like the perfect place except I would have to have cables go all the way around to the console for the auxiliary cable and the energy cable as well.

As you can see i've given this a lot of thought.

can anyone show me pictures of how they have done it and what their optimal configuration is?

thanks

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a GPS mounted on that small quarter window on my Honda Fit using the suction cup windshield mount, and it works well. It's not in my direct line of sight and is easily within reach to input addresses. I ran the power cable down the door jamb under the rubber weatherstrip and under the dash to the power outlet.

These aren't the best photos (done with my BlackBerry), but will give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

Attached Files:

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the pics! sorry about the wrong forum. seems like I wasnt the only one who thought that quarter window thingie worked for that purpose