1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best place to get Paint matched Front bumper

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Umar Ali, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, last week i was driving back home and on a curve where speed was 60mph there was a raccoon having feast in the middle of road. I tried to move away from it but it ran right towards me and hit the bumper on driver side. I stopped to assess the damage, the whole about one and half feet piece of bumper was gone no where to be found and the black plastic piece water shield over tire was also broken in half. So i need to get a bumper paint matched but dont know where to start. Where would you think be the best place to get 2012 bumper blizzard pearl white.

2. DanMan

DanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not going to buy it pre-painted, reason being every paint job has it's slight differences. If you brought it to a reputable body shop they would order an unpainted bumper, prime it and paint it themselves. With the pearl paint, they may want to blend the front fenders and even the hood to get a good match. The key is to find a reputable body shop, does not need to be the dealer but you could call the used car manager and ask who he uses to paint bumpers. Most of the time they use an outside shop that does good work and saves them money.

Umar Ali likes this.
  3. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seems like it would cost alot more than what i initially thought. since i was planning on putting it on myself and save the labor cost. any idea how much that job would run?

4. DanMan

DanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what retail would be, dealer would pay about $400 bucks to do a bumper on a blizzard pearl car, that's just from my experience working for Toyota dealers. You can buy the unpainted bumper and put it on, they can then paint it on the car. That would save you some (probably a small amount) cost.

Umar Ali likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A body shop could maybe repair/repaint?

#5 Mendel Leisk, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Umar Ali likes this.
  7. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Repair is out of questio since a whole chunk of bumper is missing it just broke off about 1.5 x 1.5 feet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    eBay 260 painted

9. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace that bumper, It depends from shop to shop, and prices can be very different may be around $400-$700 here in SFBA.

You can get painted bumper, just color can be not perfectly matched. Let us know when you done with it.

Umar Ali likes this.
  10. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Will definitely report the progress with pictures. Planning to put 2012 instead

11. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is what it looks like after kissing racoon. Whole piece just vaporized in thin air. I couldnt find it anywhere near the crime scene

Attached Files:

12. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice!:)

Today I've got my car back from a body shop. Replaced bumper, left fender, driver's door some painting, quarter panel flattening and painted. I see a bit mismatch between fender and door. So now I'm not sure if already painted fender would give me same result. Overall quite happy. Paid $2600. As it was not my fault and I've got money from other insurance, I feel not so bad. If you like DYI you can order painted bumper around $200 and do it. Shops have a big range of prices, better to have recommendations form someone you know especially you go with cheaper option.

Good luck with getting it fixed, most important you are not hurt, although racoon might be filed a complain!

Umar Ali likes this.
  13. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your insight. I will definitely do it myself then since the cost seems pretty high. Now only needs to find a place where i can get 2012 front bumper for cheap prepainted. Any suggestions anyone, only one i could find was about $309

14. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked Painted Automotive Parts | Discounted Auto Body Parts, but there no front bumper cover for your model.
    See this video it explains how to take it off.

Umar Ali likes this.
  15. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please check ebay, a lot of used bumpers with price around $150 and fair and good conditions, at least for my color. I wish I've got it there.

Umar Ali likes this.
  16. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine is bliard pearl white, only i could find are i believe 2 which nees to be repainted and fixed . One has crack and seems accidented and other one with broken tabs and also cracked in the bottom. None are $150 range in better condition. I just dont wanna get into repainting since body shops here in louisiana charge an arm and leg for paint job due to less or no competition.

17. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Check out Craigslist. Drive a little if you have too. Your chance of finding a use bumper matching your car is better then a body shop color matching it correctly at the right price. And color matching plastic to metal require a lot of experience and time consuming.

I am not familiar with the Prius in general but i assume all gen 3 will fit and match. That gives you more option in your search. GL.

Umar Ali likes this.
  18. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So i talked to my insurance company, they said since hitting animal is not at fault accident so there will be no premium increase. My deductible is $500 so i am thinking of going through insurance to use comprehensive coverage.
    now question iswould the insurance company let me choose body shop of my own choice? can i convince body shop people to to put 2012 bumper instead of 2010? do i qualify for rental car from either insurance company or body shop since they will take atleast couple of weeks in my opinion.
    any input will be highly appreciated.

Edit: if i opt to do it myself the cost is going way above $500 then why not choose to use comprehensive and pay $500

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You have the right to get your car fixed anywhere you want and having the insurance company pay for it unless there is a clause in your policy stating otherwise.

Talk to the body shop. If you agree to assume the risk of the bumper cover not fitting (and they are the same price) there shouldn't be an objection.

The body shop most likely is not in the rental car business and you don't qualify with them for anything. My guess is the car will be in the shop a week as you are just replacing two parts. If you have rental coverage in your auto insurance then you can file a claim with them. It could be direct bill or a reimbursement.

The shop is likely to charge the insurance company less than they would charge you. Get an estimate from the shop and look them over. The insurance company may send you a check or it could be direct bill. Ask if they will accept the insurance settlement as full payment (they should).

20. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    when you say settlement as full payment what does that mean? does it suggest that i wouldnt be paying any deductible and they will itemize accordingly to leave me $500 margin?