1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Practice Circa mid-2013

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by alphagatodc, May 7, 2013.

1. alphagatodc

alphagatodc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I'm about to take the plunge. Or at least I was a week ago when I started researching the PHEV conversion options. I've worked on a fair amount of electronics and lots of cars so I'm not intimidated by the install, but the state of the conversion kit suppliers does not inspire confidence.

Is there anything close to a consensus about how to proceed given the options on the table right now? I'm fine if you want to split replies into drop in kit or component-by-component options.

My best case scenario is something I can do for significantly less than the value of the car, takes less than 2 weekends and won't go all 787 with kids in the back seat.

Have at it.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Alpha,
    Not enough information here.

The best general advise I would give is to go find an installer that has an ongoing installation shop and talk with them and see some actual PHEVs. The first thing you need to do is to gain enough knowledge to be able to figure out what expectations you have.

Where are you at? What car are you going to start with? What is your typical drive? What mpg do you want to get? How much maintanence time ar you willing to put into your PHEV everyday, or every week?.... Many questions that you need to figure out before you can even start to talk about a system.

By the way, What is a 2012 Aqua? I have never heard of a car called an Aqua.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    By the way, What is a 2012 Aqua? I have never heard of a car called an Aqua.

It's what they call the Prius C in Japan and Europe (?)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what the value of the car, 20 grande? is 10 grande significantly less? you can probably make that work. btw, welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

5. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that works, just go out and buy a PIP. MUCH better integration and ROI than any kit on any regular Prius.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't argue with that logic.(y)

7. alphagatodc

alphagatodc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to answer relevant questions here:

1) I have no idea what an Prius Aqua is, you just have to list a prius you own when you sign up, and that sounded the most ridiculous. I don't own a prius yet.

2) I'm in DC. Haven't tracked down any shops that are into this locally and I'd love recommendations.

3) My driving and goals for the project:
    - My driving is very bimodal, 80-90% of days it's under 10 miles of non freeway, the rest are more like 60-80 mile freeway days. I'm thinking that 80-90% of days are great candidates for plug in power, and the longer days any additional system is just dead weight in a car.
    - My goals are to make an ugly duckling into a very useful car. I'm looking at buying a high mileage car in the 5-7k range and putting a few grand (and a bunch of hours) into making it a plug in that's useful for the city driving I do. I was hoping that there was enough agreement on how to do plug in conversions that my search for advice could be of use to others, so I'd like to keep this discussion broader and get opinions on which systems, kits, etc are worth pursuing, but I can see why that might not be a reasonable expectation.

Thanks for the help so far, and please keep it coming (I'm also ready for the noob comments I'm clearly worthy of)

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll start by saying I don't know anything but there is a wealth of knowledge here on PC. Do a search. This is what I understand so far:

The 4 kwh systems go for about $10k. That's a $15k - $17k entry fee for an aged vehicle.

This is good for 10-15 miles EV so it would seem to work well for you. But since the current systems do not include reprogramming the Prius. It can only provide EV boost. You might get 100 mpg but you'll still use gas on your short trips unless you can keep your foot light and force the car to stay in EV mode. If you've driven a Prius you know how difficult it is to do that outside of a parking lot.

The current providers are small mom and pop outfits that don't know how to do business. I know I am being harsh but I say this due to the poor business practices I've read on here. The main problem is you order the system and then you wait months for your system to arrive in pieces from China and the rest of the world. The providers are too small to keep an entire kit in their warehouse waiting to be ordered and/or the cost of shipping batteries to their shop and then to your home is cost prohibitive. Of course, you have to pay first. Then you wait an entire season from what I've read as pieces trickle in. This is not a 2 week job you can plan for.

A used Plug-in Prius can be had for $5k more than your entry fee if you look hard enough. They are rare. You get a much newer car with warranty. You can also drive the vehicle entirely in EV mode for most situations.

dan2l likes this.
  9. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Alpha,
    mmmodern is not being too harsh. In fact what he states is very real. I have 2 converted Prius that I did more for enjoyment than for savings gas.

First you must get a 2004 or newer Prius. The older Prius will only take the Enginer system that is no longer in production in the USA.

Taylor atomotive did PHEV convertions in Sanford NC but it looks like they no longer do this.
    Home Page
    I expect that the PHEV business was not viable for them. Anyway, I expect that they can give you good information.

Finally you need to expect to spend lots of money to replace parts and batterys that you have go bad while you are learning. I would expect that cost to be an additional $2-3k during the first year of learning.

Thanks,
    Dan

10. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Conversion kits are simply years behind the present SOTA. There's no getting around that fact. If you want all to realize the full promise of a PHEV, buy a car that was built that way. Period. I also say this as an owner of an upfitted Prius. I love it, but it's just not the equal of a Volt or PIP in any way.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a guy in florida with a trunk load of batteries. you should take a look at his thread. if you enjoy tinkering, making things work, improving them, repairing them and spending every waking minute trying to turn an ugly duckling into a swan, this project is for you!

12. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've multiple friends that have conversions. Not as nice a new PHEV, but can be very cost effective. (In Co the rebates, until last year, made the 4kWh net $750.. so it was a no brainer).

Some of the statements above are not quite correct..
    The engineer kits had modified electronics allowing up to 70mph EV though that eats the battery very fast.
    My friends all have engineer or hymotion kits, neither of which I think are sold any more.

If you want to do it yourself, pluginsupply has instructions and parts. Plug-In Supply Installation Instructions supporting both Gen 2 and Gen 3. They sell both a 4kW pack and 10kWh pack. The 10kW
    (i.e. with nearly 3x the usable size of the PiP) will run you about $8K, and the 4kWh pack is about $5K.
    Pretty sure they support up to 50mph EV, and 4Kw should get you 10-12 miles of EV, the 10Kwh 20-25.

Whole thread on the PIS kits
    Plug-In Supply DIY | PriusChat

13. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is also plughybrid.de that sell the MD-TECH kit. It is similar to the Enginer kit and the price is comparable...

They just added a forum section:

Forum - Plug-in Autos

drinnovation likes this.