1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best practice in backing up a car with rear view camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dpbsmith4, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dpbsmith4

dpbsmith4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What's the best current thinking on how to back up in a car with a rear-view camera (like our 2016 Prius?)

Where do I look?

It certainly looks as if the screen image includes everything I used to be able to see and much more. Does the backup camera replace watching three mirrors and over-the-shoulder? Or does it add one more thing I need to check in addition to three mirrors and over-my-shoulder?

P.S. Does the pre-collision avoidance system function when backing up?

2. vitiligo

vitiligo Priusdiva

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You get a warning beep when a person or vehicle are approaching. I still look over my shoulder and use mirrors. I use camera for parking

iPhone ?

#2 vitiligo, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For me, the backup camera is extremely useful in 1. Judging how far I am away from something since it sits right on the back of the car and 2. Being able to see low and immediately behind my car, where a pet or toddler could be sitting invisible to the rear view mirrors.

That said, you should still check your surroundings for cross traffic and things that may be outside of the camera view but could move into them too late (as it says on the camera graphic).

Also side mirrors are still useful for checking how close you are to a post in a parking garage or the car next to you, etc

4. FLPhilbert

FLPhilbert New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find the backup camera is best for checking for things you can't see in your mirrors/windows, particularly things like small objects on the ground behind you (and possibly children or animals). You also want to check out the side windows for oncoming traffic.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 2010 camera on our 2010 3rd gen is extremely wide angle, very deceptive if you're trying to judge distance. I really don't trust it, just give it perfunctuary glances. Has this improved?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the biggest issue is people approaching the back of your car from either side. you really need to look and make sure they can't be at the fender by the time you get moving.
    it depends a lot on where you are. driveway with a sidewalk or people in the street, parking lot, etc.

clickerman likes this.
  7. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For me, I am way to paranoid about backing up over somebody that I use more than the camera.
    Even with the camera I am sticking my head up and looking both ways like a spastic ostrich trying to see what is around me.
    I find the camera most useful for parking (If I can see the white line in the camera I know I am in) and backing up to park against another car/building, etc.

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think in the end you are responsible of driving the vehicle (to change in a few years from now, hopefully) so camera, sensors and all the rest, are there to help you, but ultimately *you* drive the car.

There is a lot of advice and hints on the user's manual about what the camera shows and how. Why and how the ultrasonic sensors beep. And so on. And it clearly says that you have to check out yourself at all times, and not rely 100% in the electronics.

That being said, if you park against a wall with no poles to the side, and no children with absent minded parents in the radius of 100mi, and no other driver checking his facebook page while driving, then by all means rely 100% on what the electronics tell you.... ;)

I think I will still rely on mirrors and personal judgement, as long as my mind and senses work good enough to rear park. Anything else is a welcome aid.

HobbsNick likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quite simply, the camera is an aid not a replacement to proper backup procedures.

I find it most handy when trying to backup from parking spots while trying to see around BAV's (big nice person vehicles) parked next to me. My wife's Outback also uses side looking radars which see sooner and further than the camera's angle of view can.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use all 5 - the kerbside mirror when parking gives me better perspective when parking at the kerb, but the camera gives an overview and the beeps tell me how close I am. That was until my camera died recently, and I'm really missing it - meaning I need to turn around with my dodgy neck more often.

11. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love the backup camera and it does warn when a person or vehicle (that you can't see in the camera) is going to cross your path. I wish there was a way of keeping the camera on when going forward too while trying to get into a parking spot to help line up the car properly.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    In the UK, Ultrasonic Parking Sensors are a very expensive optional extra on the first two trim levels. I assume that the warning you are talking about is because on your model, you have these sensors as well - and that the base model does not do this. Or am I mistaken about that?

13. NorthernHSD

NorthernHSD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got my new Prius! Moved from Subaru Forester to this one. Parking in overall is more difficult with Prius. Maybe because of the lower seating position and then because of the car shape. Need to learn where front goes and how close I can drive to obstacles.

Reversing however is pretty easy. Camera & display is better compared to Subaru. Though I need some times till to learn display guide lines, how to use those effectively.

robsnyder20 likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations. I assume it's a 2016 Gen 4?

What model Forester was it - did it have a factory Rear Camera? By more difficult, are you meaning judging the front of the car only?

15. NorthernHSD

NorthernHSD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the 2016 4th Gen.

Forester was MY 2013 with 23 US MPG consumption. Engine 2.0 n/a, so it was bit underpowered too for that size of car. It had factory backup camera.

Yeah.. I mean front of new car. It is bit difficult to estimate where it goes when parking.

Attached Files:

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lovely - I haven't yet seen a red (only seen a few whites here, and none on the road, just demonstrators!!), but I think that's the colour I'll be heading for (or maybe blue) once I've seen one.

Thanks for that - I've read that the Forester is one of the very best for visibility (haven't driven one for maybe 10 yrs). When 2016 4th Gen came out, I read a few comments about how much better it was for forward visibility than Gen 3. I'll take careful note when I get to test-drive. The Forester was a bit down my desirability list, mainly due to fuel and service (service well over double Prius) costs - here in Australia, plus the EyeSight option is only available on models about $6000 more than the Prius 4.

ETP likes this.
  17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a model 4 with advanced technology package. I don't have parking assist. Don't remember what the cross traffic warning system is called. The one thing I don't like is the backup beeping which is especially annoying if you also get the cross traffic warning. It makes me feel anxious. I got the beep turned off to a single beep on my gen 3.

18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Funny the way it read. "only seen a few whites here" :LOL:

So how do young people throw it in reverse and floor board it and us old people creep back waiting for a crunch?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Best Practice? I usually turn my head around and use my mirrors... ;)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not that easy at 120 years old.

alanclarkeau likes this.