1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best practives to record fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ozzyprv, Dec 23, 2007.

1. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With this car, I tend to believe that topping off the fuel tank is not necessary. Hearing about the bladder fuel tank, makes me more cautious. As mentioned before, a slow fill setting on the pump until it clicks to stop is good.:cool:

2. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You guys all need to go watch a little football and get those competitive emotions out! This all seems to be based on the sporting "mine is better than yours" mentality.

If someone wants to risk damaging "their" vehicle, what's it matter to me? I'll feel sad for them when they report it, if they report it. Sure, I don't see the logic behind the risk other than to get a few more miles out of a tank of gas or to think you have more acurate numbers for your calculations (what was the altitude and barometric pressure when you filled the bladder?); but I will respect your right to treat your car as you wish.

Mine will not be topped off by me, but will be slow filled at the lowest pump speed. It doesn't take long to pump 10 gallons instead of 30, and I will never run out of gas trying to stretch more miles out of a tank of gas.

I won my competition the day I bought the car!

Peace, my brothers......

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ya'll do what you want but I've topped off with an extra gallon past the click off over 130 times now. I've run out of gas a few times now also. I've replaced the fuel tank three times and the battery twice. I'm just kidding. There has been no discernible damage from topping off or running out of gas. The car has almost 90k miles on it and was purchased in april of 2004. It sees a lot of rough dirt roads and I go over speed bumps too fast. I may have to replace a cv joint soon but other than that, I have changed the oil every 10k with mobil1 and air filters every 30k.