1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Prius to buy? No kids No Wife

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mpglol, Apr 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I suggest that land a job first and see what your need are then! If you need a car or not! Driving needs to and from work! Suggest to lease ,chances are you be changing jobs or relocating with the next few year! Thats moving up and finding better job offerings etc . Going from performace to slow poke may not suit you at this point in your life!

2. mpglol

mpglol New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how could you check
    ?

3. mpglol

mpglol New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

LOL! I can't help but laugh at that last quote, You should come visit its not what you think lol its not a bunch of rednecks out here with mullets driving trucks every where prius and honda cars most common cars too see on the road

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to approach this slightly differently.
    I find that the Prius have very good reliability and repairs are seldom needed.
    When repairs are needed they are very expensive. a new transaxle is $5000, a new inverter is $4000, a new HV battery is $3000.
    So I would not buy used without a reserve of cash in case it was needed.

Since you are a 'car guy' be warned, the brakes cannot be bled without software to open all the valves controlling regenerative braking, engine braking,and friction braking. Do not take on a repair that may involve opening the brake lines. If you need to work on the brake pads, unplug the 12 volt battery so the brake systems do not operate while you have them disassembled.

[​IMG]

5. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have any direct knowledge.
    I would start by reading about it & see what are common ways to try & detect it.
    Also as someone linked to the VIN history website that would possibly show mileage events/repairs that don't match up to what the vehicle currently shows.
    I would also be wary of anything on the car that looks too new because it was recently replaced & shouldn't have needed that for the stated mileage or looks too old/worn out for the stated mileage. Stuff like collapsed driver seat foam or new brake pads, etc..

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would buy a 2011 or 2012 Prius. The Gen III is a better, longer-lasting car. 2010 was its first production year, so it's prone to the same first-year glitches as any other car.

If you have to save a bit more or borrow a few thousand, I think it's worth it, because you'll get a more reliable, longer-lasting car.

In the Maintenance & Troubleshooting section, there's a Sticky thread with the NutzAboutBolts maintenance videos for the Gen III. Don't go crazy and do them all at once, but try to get through one a month and your 80,000 - 120,000 mile car will easily make it to 200,000+

I would go with the base model hatchback: Less stuff to break and plenty of parts availability. The c and v models are great, but getting used replacement parts will be harder than hatchback parts.

7. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not true.....entirely.
    Not to hijack this thread, but.....
    The car can (without OBD II SOFTWARE) be put in "invalid mode", allowing brake system to be bled like a normal car. I've done it. It's easy.

#27 Jimi1976, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius is a very popular car -- the best-selling model in California for several years. And, it takes very little collision damage to total one. For several years, there will be a steady supply of HV batteries, inverters and transaxles from wrecks. After five or ten years, we'll have to rely on rebuilds.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always hesitate to rain on any ones parade in so much as wanting a Prius.
    But given your "Big Picture", including being a recent grad, maintaining a "show" car, and having a limited budget in search of an economical and reliable "daily driver", I'd recommend postponing your Prius dreams.

With that available budget, I think you can find a vehicle that can be "economical" and reliable, but not expose you to the maintenance risk an aged Prius simply does represent.

I use to own a Honda Fit. I'm just going to go out on a limb and recommend one. The gas mileage will be "good", if not hybrid level. The reliability also excellent, and IMO the driving feel and feedback is "fun". The versatility with the flat fold down load floor and the fold up magic seats also make the compact amazingly versatile.

If for whatever reason this doesn't appeal to you? I still think it better to simply wait until you can look at newer Prius, and have your career more established.
    There are a LOT of economical vehicles that can become reliable daily drivers.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base