1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best reasonable ODB reader for Prius and other non hybrid vehicles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 06_PriusDriver, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The VCI works on all Toyota's from around 1998 on, not just the Prius.

John (Britprius)

06_PriusDriver likes this.
  2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

as well as the ELM327 and Torque app works for more than just Toyotas.... :)

3. 06_PriusDriver

06_PriusDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh I have every right to blame this on Toyota!! If a customer wants their vehicle looked over they should do it!! I do not care if there are lights on or not but their techs should be able to weed out an issue that is possibly arising and not just do a valve clearance test and say everything is A1. That is just bad business practice!! They just do not want to lay out the cost to fix it. I am not new to the automotive industry and have seen a lot of shady stuff done by dealers to cover their butts!! This Prius never got the MPG that they bragged about it gets less than what my 1995 Corolla was getting with a leaking gas tank go figure!! This is even when the Prius is serviced properly lol. I am not throwing in a line of crap here neither. I could drive my Corolla about 300-400 kilometers and only burn 1/4 tank from full where this Prius burns about 9/16's of a tank from full. So yea I am quite sure I have every right to complain lol.

Yes I do realize it is not the cars fault but Toyota should have done their job bottom line.

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Don't blame Toyota per sa... blame the particular dealership. Your car in particular may not have gotten the the expected MPG but mine sure has and many more. In fact there are many who get higher than the 'estimated mpgs' .

5. 06_PriusDriver

06_PriusDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes you are 100% correct but the dealership represents Toyota and their products. I have spoken to two other dealerships outside the area and they told me that they would have done the same so it's not just isolated to just one dealership. Needless to say when it comes to a hybrid Toyota is way down at the bottom of the list for me at least.

Yes I understand that every Prius gets either better or worse MPG than rated but when the MPG is way worse that a regular internal combustion engine it really raises red flags. Although they probably have improved with there newer models but I am not willing to take that chance again. Also Toyota to my knowledge has come in under what the Ford C-Max gets to the estimated MPG that the Prius gen 2 or even the V is estimated for and that is a big head banger in my opinion. Plus it's way cheaper to purchase than the Prius V. Anyway I really did not want to start any type of debate in regards to MPG lol.

I do appreciate you guys helping me out and I thank you guys a million!!

6. ggravier

ggravier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Carista (for Android) is great... Limited features, but if you agree to pay the few bucks for the pro version, you can even automatically send some customization orders (like switch from one to continuous beeps when car is in reverse)... Torque is great for reading real time data.

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Connecting pins 4 to 13 on obdII should dump all error codes from the genII prius.
    The idiot lights will blink out the error codes for all systems.

Any advanced prius chat member could get your prius to 50 mpg easily.
    The dealers dont read priuschat and haven't the foggiest clue how to make a prius run like a swiss watch.

The first thing your prius needs are the right tires. Only prius chat members know the best tires.

Torque app is the best bang for the buck. It reads all engine sensors and there voltages. And all hybrid motors/generator torque,temperators,current,voltage, etc.

To maintain 50 mpg One needs to take active roll in its maintainence and theory of operation.
    The dealers are not yet able to do this.

Sorry I dont have all the specifics. You will have to research some of the above.